Wildling Refugees

Falcon2908

So Jon Snow has allowed the Wildling refugees to pass through the wall and has settled them in The Gift because of the threat of the White Walkers.

So my question is, when winter is over and the white walkers are defeated, will the wildlings go back to Beyond the Wall? Or will they continue staying south of the wall.

it would depend on political/economic circumstances and the viewpoint of all inolved community's. There are certain reasons why it could be good but also be bad from different viewpoints.

Wildlings don't want to be kneelers, the amount of freedom they enjoy will likely determine how many of them will stay, at this moment they came down out of nessecity but perhaps they would return north after winter if they didn't enjoy their new homes. If they get too much freedom though then likely that will lead to trouble with neighbouring community's so that might infuriate neighbouring lords.

Economicly it could be a win, the gift is practicly undeveloped and perhaps the wildlings being used to the north could make more out of it, that might be good for the wall in many ways.

Basicly i guess people would be welcome to such an underdeveloped region but it depends how wildlings are to behave.

Jon never actually settles the Wildlings on the Gift, that was Stannis' plan but events took a different turn. Of the first ~900 who pledged fielty to Stannis and were placed under Jon's command in return for the info on the Clansmen, ~200 follow Sigorn to take Karhold in Stannis' name, just over 60 joined the NW as allies rather than members, and the rest likely took the same deal with Tormund or are in a vague position. With Tormind Jon did not demand that they pledge fielty to Stannis, he made a deal that they stay and help defend the Wall until Spring, then he gives them a free pass through the Gift to be someone else's problem. He gave them abandoned castles to winter in, but he never gave them land and he never said he would. The Wildlings are "not kneelers" and would not accept even this very basic deal of working the land for the NW in return for protection. They would either take the Gift by force come spring, or chance a war with the Clansmen or the Umbers for land. Or go for the dumber decision of raiding thier way further south.

Winter will last years so I doubt they just go back. Despite what they say they'll assimilate to the Northern way of life. They may not technically kneel but they'll accept the fact that this or that family is in charge. Do I accept certain things that I may not agree with for safety and security? Of course. They have to realize they aren't beyond the wall anymore.

Archived