Benjen Stark!!!

Jackson82

Benjen Stark is still missing, I wonder what happened to him. We see him in the first season, as he doesn’t return, the lord commander goes beyond the wall to look for Benjen Stark and his other fellow rangers. Where is he? Do you think he is Coldhands?

He went missing fairly close to the wall and his colleagues were brought back by the Nights watch, it seems strange that he would be taken prisoner and moved all the way to the lands of always winter. I'm fairly certain he's dead myself, otherwise surely it would have come up now.

5 hours ago, JonSnowed said:

He went missing fairly close to the wall and his colleagues were brought back by the Nights watch, it seems strange that he would be taken prisoner and moved all the way to the lands of always winter. I'm fairly certain he's dead myself, otherwise surely it would have come up now.

well he is a stark and related to the first men, maybe they took him based off that alone

On 2/9/2016 at 0:10 PM, dariopatke said:

He certanly is not Coldhands, GRRM confirmed it, so I hope he has some role further or we will get to know what happened to him. It would be so lame that Benjen stpryline remains unresolved.

I'm not saying Benjen is Coldhands or not but I'm always curious why people think it's absolutely confirmed from that first draft margin note that Martin penned to his editor (if that's what you're referring to)?  I mean, a great many things changed after that early draft but, for some reason, people are absolutely convinced that Benjen not being Coldhands couldn't have changed?  As I say, I'm not certain Benjen is Coldhands but I'm also not at all convinced that first draft margin note is the slam dunk people make it out to be (unless there's some other direct Martin confirmation that Benjen isn't Coldhands that I'm unaware of...) 

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

You are right, I didn't see things that way. I just hope that his story is not over or at least has some meaning.

I couldn't agree with you more!  I actually kind of hope Coldhands does turn out to be a dead Benjen Stark resurrected by Bloodraven in the same way as Beric Donderrion and Lady Stoneheart were brought back in order to guard and guide Bran to him.  That would make quite a bit of sense and explain quite a few things to me.  But, of course, Martin may very well have other plans and I'm confident he will do something interesting with Coldhands! ;)     

4 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

I'm not saying Benjen is Coldhands or not but I'm always curious why people think it's absolutely confirmed from that first draft margin note that Martin penned to his editor (if that's what you're referring to)?  I mean, a great many things changed after that early draft but, for some reason, people are absolutely convinced that Benjen not being Coldhands couldn't have changed?  As I say, I'm not certain Benjen is Coldhands but I'm also not at all convinced that first draft margin note is the slam dunk people make it out to be (unless there's some other direct Martin confirmation that Benjen isn't Coldhands that I'm unaware of...) 

True. He could always change his mind and Benjen really is Coldhands, surprise. But if The Night's King has Stark blood as they say, he may have spared Benjen and imprisoned him up north.

Coldhands is not in the show. He will probably never be. Benjen has left for too long. The show will probably do without him either. Whatever purpose he still has in the books, it will be taken by a NW brother or a Wildling. Martin said that the final two novels will take readers farther north than any of the previous books. We will need a POV there. Maybe Jon, maybe Benjen. But anyway, I believe we will find Benjen alive there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 February 2016 at 5:09 PM, Prince of the North said:

Agree 100%.

Perhaps he has been taken by the White Walkers because of the relationship between the Starks and the Others. Maybe the Night's King still holds a grudge for the Stark's ending his reign and probably offing his White Walker bride.

1 hour ago, Anglo said:

Perhaps he has been taken by the White Walkers because of the relationship between the Starks and the Others. Maybe the Night's King still holds a grudge for the Stark's ending his reign and probably offing his White Walker bride.

I sit in this group of thought with you. The Game prologue shows Waymar Royce being scouted and hunted and tested by the WW's and the killed when it turns out he is 1) not a full blood Stark, or 2) not Jon Snooo (someone that is probably the bad guy in their own prophecy). 

Benjen has a strong Stark look so he could have had his own Waymar situation especially since his two companions came were wighted as the "extras" were in the Game prologue. 

Or, it could be the twist in Winds??? Coldhands pulls the fabric from his face and says "surprise" and helps Bran escape out of that cave backdoor he told Bran about.  :dunno:

Benjen Stark = Night's King? Okay yeah i'm justing fooliing around with the theories that surround Benjen.

But in all seriousness, hard to say since GRMM hasn't reveal hints about Benjen's whereabout nor whether he's alive or dead and like the others said, Coldhand isn't in the show and GRMM revealed the Coldhand isn't Benjen. Whatever Benjen's purpose is for both the book and show, who knows.

19 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Or, it could be the twist in Winds??? Coldhands pulls the fabric from his face and says "surprise" and helps Bran escape out of that cave backdoor he told Bran about.  :dunno:

But Coldhands isn't dead in the show, he's never been in it. 

I think they are two different characters like Martin says. Even a 'gardener' like him has some ideas where to go in the end albeit the way itself is not mapped out. He probably has something planned for Benjen long ago, while Coldhands may be a later addition, maybe one of those walk-in-characters writers love so much. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Gabriele said:

But Coldhands isn't dead in the show, he's never been in it. 

I think they are two different characters like Martin says. Even a 'gardener' like him has some ideas where to go in the end albeit the way itself is not mapped out. He probably has something planned for Benjen long ago, while Coldhands may be a later addition, maybe one of those walk-in-characters writers love so much. ;) 

I know. I was making a joke :P

Sometimes it's hard to tell when you just read it online... or my jokes suck. I will accept either explanation.

Archived