Where are those 200 Valyrian steel blades in westeros?

purple-eyes

The Manderly's are one of the few Houses in the north who worships the seven and therefor has knights to bestow land to. The rest of the north probably has a lot of petty lords though. The Reach however could have a huge number of landed knights and old houses that could have valyrian swords but not that many houses are mentioned.

On 2/8/2016 at 9:42 PM, purple-eyes said:

It was said that there are 200 of them in seven kingdoms. And thousands in the whole world.

But We only knew less than 10 of them.

Where are the rest of them?

If they have 200 in the realm, by average each realm will have about 30, almost one for each house.

How come Tywin had such a hard time to get one?

I say take the Iron Throne apart.  After all, those swords were welded together with Balerion's flames.  If Valyrian Steel must be forged using dragon fire those swords fused together might just be VS by accident.

7 minutes ago, Holley 4 Barrel said:

I say take the Iron Throne apart.  After all, those swords were welded together with Balerion's flames.  If Valyrian Steel must be forged using dragon fire those swords fused together might just be VS by accident.

Oh, you are right! brilliant.

Actually this is indeed possible. Aegon must have got a lot of good swords during his conquering.

maybe in the end people will need to dissemble the throne and get those swords to fight with others.

28 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Actually this is indeed possible. Aegon must have got a lot of good swords during his conquering.

maybe in the end people will need to dissemble the throne and get those swords to fight with others.

Without Daenerys that sounds impossible.

I reckon there are 40 or so true VS swords in the seven kingdoms. 

Red Rain

Blackfyre

Dark Sister

Ice

Longclaw

Nightfall

Vigilance

Celtigar's Greataxe

Lady Forlorn

Orphan Maker

Heartsbane

Brightroar

Those are off the top of my head, and include none from Dorne, the Riverlands, Crownlands, and most importantly Westerlands.  That's probably a fourth or so of the true VS blades

I find if interesting if there are 200 swords that means that some landed knights have it and it is impossible that no one of them didnt want to sell it to Tywin, he would give them so mich gold, maybe even a castle for sword.

In entire North we have data about 2 swords, Ice and Longclaw and it is odd that if 200 blades exist only 2 families in the North have it, Boltons dont have it, Manderlys dont seem to have one, Karstarks, Umbers and Glovers too, so that doesnt leave us much options.

Now, there are 9 regions and North sould have 22 swords, I doubt it has 5 including Ice.

It is also puzzling how Mormonts have one and Martells, Tyrells, Tullys, Arryns, Greyjoys and very likely Hoares dont and it seems that they never posesed a sword. Only Targs, Starks and Lannisters from Great houses had a sword, by that logic I would conclude that there are 30 of them around bunch of castles, 40 maximum, but what with other 150+?

I say they are at Citadel. Citadel knows about Others weaknesses and they collected that during thousands of years just like CotF have bunch of obsidian. The only thing that makes sense is that they are all in Citadel or in some place else, what do you thing happened with them and where they are?

But why didnt he take at least one and reforge it for Rhaenys? There were bunch of people who knew how back them and of course it is very different from regular sword. One or two may be lost but a dozen or two will be spotted.

The idea that there are approximately 200 remaining in Westeros alone comes from Tyrion's thoughts in one of his POVs. He could be, in a word, wrong. Or perhaps "it is known" that these are the numbers and these estimates are simply accepted as correct, without anyone having tried to make an accurate listing. I cannot imagine how you would even go about doing so. 

If I were the head of a minor house and bannerman to a much stronger house that did not have its own VS weapon - such as, say, Bolton - I'd be likely to keep mine stuffed under the basement stairs and hopefully long forgotten. The chances of having it taken with some trumped up charge of treason or stolen outright, would outweigh the chances of winning glory on some battlefield with it. After all, Tywin never did manage to fairly obtain VS; he just flat out stole it. 

3 hours ago, dariopatke said:

I find if interesting if there are 200 swords that means that some landed knights have it and it is impossible that no one of them didnt want to sell it to Tywin, he would give them so mich gold, maybe even a castle for sword.

In entire North we have data about 2 swords, Ice and Longclaw and it is odd that if 200 blades exist only 2 families in the North have it, Boltons dont have it, Manderlys dont seem to have one, Karstarks, Umbers and Glovers too, so that doesnt leave us much options.

Now, there are 9 regions and North sould have 22 swords, I doubt it has 5 including Ice.

It is also puzzling how Mormonts have one and Martells, Tyrells, Tullys, Arryns, Greyjoys and very likely Hoares dont and it seems that they never posesed a sword. Only Targs, Starks and Lannisters from Great houses had a sword, by that logic I would conclude that there are 30 of them around bunch of castles, 40 maximum, but what with other 150+?

I say they are at Citadel. Citadel knows about Others weaknesses and they collected that during thousands of years just like CotF have bunch of obsidian. The only thing that makes sense is that they are all in Citadel or in some place else, what do you thing happened with them and where they are?

But why didnt he take at least one and reforge it for Rhaenys? There were bunch of people who knew how back them and of course it is very different from regular sword. One or two may be lost but a dozen or two will be spotted.

The quote is valyrian steel blades- the knife Joffrey takes is a valyrian steel blade but isn't named or even looked after closely.

We know of around a dozen and have never been to a good deal of the capitals let alone any fraction of noble holdings in the realm.

If some sellsword who choose the life for love of fighting, not with the goal of getting rich and retiring, had a VS blade I could see them refusing to sell it... What would be their motivation?  They could live comfortably on their fees and have an edge in combat... Someone like Robert who would give up his kingdom to be as mercenary, for instance.

And because of their value, a lowborn warrior or lesser noble who got their hands on one would probably not advertise that they have one - keep it on your scabbard and make sure that if anyone ever gets a close enough look to see that it is VS, that's the last thing they see 

The problem with Valyrian steel is that it is described as so valuable that it is inconceivable that a family outside of the top 5-10% or so of the nobility could hold on to one for very long. After all if it is worth as much as an army then how can a landed knight or a very wealthy merchant hope to hold on to one for a long period of time when the Lord Paramount of that region doesn't? Surely they will eventually be made an offer they can't refuse or have it taken from them by force.

So whilst Free Northman is right that there are enough lords in Westeros for the rest of the blades to be held by people we haven't heard of before, there aren't enough lords that matter to account for 200 Valyrian steel weapons. Even if we were generous as say 100 have been lost since the count was made or were only daggers or something along those lines; that still leaves another 100 to account for.

If there were 100 Valyrian steel sword in total we might see along the lines of 6-10 in the North, which would surely mean a few travelled south with Robb and were claimed either by Tywin/Randyll/Gregor after a battle, or by the Freys or Roose after the Red Wedding, this doesn't happen.

In the Riverlands it's even worse, dozens of lords are killed and captured during Tywin's invasion, surely a couple of them should have had Valyrian steel swords. Weren't there any Valyrian steel swords to dish out after the Blackwater?

Archived