NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

3 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

So Newton just walked out of the post game press conference, looking like a bad loser. I get being down after his performance tonight, but the media is gonna have a field day with this.

Aqib Talib may give a run for his money:

Aqib Talib is at the podium. Mid-question, looks at his wife, "You're looking gorgeous, baby. We're gonna get it in tonight."

:blink:

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Personally, I think he gets a super bad rap because he's black.  Quarterbacks celebrate touchdowns all the time, but only Newton gets singled out.  I'm a Browns fan first, but I really don't see why people hate Newton so much.  He celebrates when he scores like anyone else, and I can't say I would really blame someone for being pissed at losing a game like the Super Bowl.  I've never been in that type of situation before, but I have been in competitive situations before where my team lost and I was fucking pissed.  It happens.  These guys are competitors.  I wouldn't expect any less.

You said it perfectly. He owes nothing to the media after all the nonsense said about him this year, fuck 'em.

Spoiler

Congrats Broncos and fans.

i've liked/defended Cam for a while, but he's going to be living with that non-dive on the fumble for a long time, and I don't know any way to deflect it. He just plain pulled up. Head scratcher.

edit: nothing hidden...can't get it off.

4 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

And then this happened from that great adult Bill Romanowski:

You will never last in the NFL with that attitude. The world doesn't revolve around you, boy! #CamNewton

I'm legitimately surprised Romanowski is alive. Disappointed, too.

The week before the game I was trying to figure out how the Broncos win the game. I got as far as this:

Step 1: Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware and Wade Phillips destroy everything.

Step 2: ?????

Step 3: Superbowl Champs! 

Even after watching the game, I still don't know what a feasible step 2 was. But step 1 alone was apparently all it took considering Von Miller basically got the two Broncos TDs by himself. 

I've never seen a QB do less to win a Superbowl than Peyton Manning. Even Trent Dilfer had one big pass to Brandon Stokely in his gift Superbowl. Peyton was also 1/13 on 3rd down and turned it over twice. I wanted him to have that one big moment to ice it and it never came. It is remarkable that the Broncos won this Superbowl. 

But it's awesome. No offense to Carolina, but the Broncos winning makes a lot more people a lot happier than a Panthers title. Congrats to SkynJay, Tyrion and Simon and any other Broncos fans on this board. All hail John Elway for doing an incredible job of team building.  And though I should have seen it coming, the "this one's for Pat" moment was perfect. 

Spoiler  

Congrats Broncos and fans.

i've liked/defended Cam for a while, but he's going to be living with that non-dive on the fumble for a long time, and I don't know any way to deflect it. He just plain pulled up. Head scratcher.

edit: nothing hidden...can't get it off.

That was a horse shit call by some horse shit announcers. Cam was running to the ball and pulled back when Ware launched himself. If he would have kept going, Ware's helmet would have blew out his knee. He took one step back to avoid his knee getting hit and then went right back after the ball

Newton looked awful; he completed 18 passes on 41 attempts (43%), no TDs, a pick, 2 lost fumbles; he , horrid game.  He made terrible reads and basically only had a hand-full of really good passes. A huge, huge part of the blame for the loss should fall on him.  

At the same time, the Denver D was the Denver D; it was unbelievable.  As good as any D that has played in a Superbowl in the last 10 years.  How much of that is on Newton v. the O-line (6 sacks) v. the the game plan.  Also, losing a WR to concussions mid game = not good.  Newton is the QB so he should get attention for the loss or the win and that's just the way the universe works.  Brady had a similar game last week, but he put up 300 yards, and had the team in the game the whole time.  

And, yeah, racism is around this one, but that still does not make criticizing Newton per se racism.  I think one thing we can all agree on is that when it came right down to it, neither QB rose to the occasion, but Manning didn't have to and Newton did.  

Just now, Howdyphillip said:

That was a horse shit call by some horse shit announcers. Cam was running to the ball and pulled back when Ware launched himself. If he would have kept going, Ware's helmet would have blew out his knee. He took one step back to avoid his knee getting hit and then went right back after the ball

We actually had the sound off at that point, so if it was a broadcast influence, it was at least partially visual. It looked that way to me from every angle, but a lot was going on here, do I'll defer to you on this.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

17846746-524e-4f15-a6a6-de50e50762cbWe actually had the sound off at that point, so if it was a broadcast influence, it was at least partially visual. It looked that way to me from every angle, but a lot was going on here, do I'll defer to you on this.

17846746-524e-4f15-a6a6-de50e50762cb

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/7/10934554/super-bowl-cam-newton-von-miller-fumble

SB Nation is saying the same thing. I disagree...

10 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Um, no.  Ware's helmet didn't pose any danger to Newton and his arm would have, at most, swiped at Newton's ankle. The only plausible scenario that doesn't make Newton look bad is if he thought he would interfere with his teammate recovering the ball.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/7/10934554/super-bowl-cam-newton-von-miller-fumble

Archived