NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

The Cotchery play was not a catch. Also agree the holding call was bad, if only because Manning threw the ball away (I know that's not how the holding rule works, but don't think you can make that call when Manning is throwing the ball away and not trying to score).

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

But the other irritating thing about the reffing was Clete Blakeman was pulling a mini-Hochuli seemingly in this need to make the game about him. The fact I even know his name is part of the problem. Got irritated when he kept showing up on my screen in a game that's already 4 hours long. Hell, he even felt a need to call penalty with 10 seconds left when the game was clearly over. You could tell he was gunning for this

It almost seems a pendulum swing back from the last time Blakeman caught my notice. If I recall correctly, he was the ref in the Pats-Panthers game from a couple of years ago when it came down to a last-second throw to Gronk in the end zone, and Kuechly mugged Gronk. A flag was thrown, and picked up without any explanation, and the Panthers got the win. At the time it looked a lot like Blakeman and his crew just wanted to get the hell out of there rather than piss off Carolina fans.

I thought it was incomplete because the ball came loose after he rolled over. If any part of the ball had touched the ground in that process, it's incomplete because he clearly didn't maintain control throughout the play, and it's dead when the ball touches the ground. There was not enough evidence to overturn - you could see the hand under the ball, but you couldn't see if the end touched during the roll. You have to let the call on the field stand at that point.

32 minutes ago, Independent George said:

I thought it was incomplete because the ball came loose after he rolled over. If any part of the ball had touched the ground in that process, it's incomplete because he clearly didn't maintain control throughout the play, and it's dead when the ball touches the ground. There was not enough evidence to overturn - you could see the hand under the ball, but you couldn't see if the end touched during the roll. You have to let the call on the field stand at that point.

The issue is that you could see all 5 of the guys fingers and his palm on the outside of the ball. Yes, it masked the actual ground, but it obviously hit it to bounce out of control. There was no other possibility. 

Rather than another Beyonce performance so soon after just a few years ago, I wouldve been much more interested in a Rihanna halftime show, I thought the halftime show was abysmal, but that's just me. As for a few debateable calls I dont think they had any influence on the game beyond maybe saving Cam from likely injury by keeping him off the field a little longer. More downs for Carolina wouldve just resulted in more punishment from that defense. Put another way, if Carolina had the hypothetical chance to play a fictional 5 down game, I'm thinking they take Cam off in a stretcher and Denver scores at least another defensive touchdown. Nothing was going to save them on this Sunday.

Newton's postgame sulking is so unimportant to me. I want the guys that are pissed over losses on my roster. I would expect no less out of a competitor. Besides 95% of these postgame interviews are pure stupidity. Ever see a Popovich postgame interview? They are usually cringeworthy and noone is having IBM over those. Leave the losing side room to grieve a hard fought loss and the world could stand to be a little less voyeuristic in that moment anyways. Cam will have a fine future and people should get over it imo.

And lastly, congratulations Kubiak, Elway, Von, Peyton and team. You guys earned it all the way. Great Superbowl imo.

In retrospect, I should have known the Panthers were doomed when Newton sealed his case for the MVP. By my reckoning, and please do check my math, the last regular season MVP to win a Super Bowl was Kurt Warner with the 1999 Rams. Since then, the MVP has gotten to the Super Bowl and lost six times.

2001 Kurt Warner

2002 Rich Gannon

2005 Shaun Alexander

2007 Tom Brady

2009 Peyton Manning

2013 Peyton Manning

The crowd at Gilette chanting "MVP!" at Peyton Manning during a playoff defeat made a big impression on me and I started to notice the drought for MVPs winning championships. Which is part of the reason I was secretly rooting for Newton to get the MVP this year when it seemed like he and Brady were the lead contenders. I had just imagined it would be the Pats beating another MVP this year, instead of the Broncos.

And even if you wanted to cover for it, "concussion" is the most politically sensitive choice you could possibly go with.  If you want to just make this go away, call it an illness and leave it at that. 

I guess they were worried they might get some questions from the media about "is he really sick or just hung over?" which might be a distraction from the Brown's playoff run. 

11 minutes ago, Independent George said:

WTF is the point of even covering it up? It gives you the perfect excuse to cut bait on a 1st round pick. The Machiavellian move would have been to publicize it, cut him, then recover as much of his bonus as you can with cause since he violated his conduct clauses.

If the Browns were a person, it'd be the type of guy whose alibi in divorce court for why he couldn't have been cheating on his wife was because he was committing arson at the time in question. 

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I guess they were worried they might get some questions from the media about "is he really sick or just hung over?" which might be a distraction from the Brown's playoff run. 

Nice

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

If the Browns were a person, it'd be the type of guy whose alibi in divorce court for why he couldn't have been cheating on his wife was because he was committing arson at the time in question. 

Even better!

Just now, Independent George said:

The only reason I can think of to cover it up is if you still believe in him as a prospect and want to retain him. Come to think of it, this is the Browns, so it actually seems rather likely.

Factory of Sadness.

I can see how the organization would want to do that just to maximize their options with a first-round pick. It's just that by maximizing their options, they covered up for an out-of-control domestic abuser. I wonder how many other NFL teams would have done the same.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I can see how the organization would want to do that just to maximize their options with a first-round pick. It's just that by maximizing their options, they covered up for an out-of-control domestic abuser. I wonder how many other NFL teams would have done the same.

Of course, I think there are a fair number of teams that never would have drafted JCF for the exact reason that they don't want to deal with him. 

58 minutes ago, Trebla said:

According to reports, the Browns lied about Johnny Manziel having a week 17 concussion to cover up that he came to practice drunk. Holy Fucking Enabling, Batman! :blink:

If this is true, I hope the NFL comes down HARD on the Browns.

This guy's life is swirling down  the drain in front of our eyes. This guy will be a first round pick in every death pool for the rest of his life.

PQJ,

I'm glad you got the reference, but I was actually talking about your Jacelyn Daggers phase.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Of course, I think there are a fair number of teams that never would have drafted JCF for the exact reason that they don't want to deal with him. 

True enough. Only a desperate team (and the Cowboys) would have drafted Manziel. There's almost a vicious socioeconomic model at work here, where a team that's been so destitute of success for so long is willing to take bigger risks in pursuit of some taste of success.

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

According to reports, the Browns lied about Johnny Manziel having a week 17 concussion to cover up that he came to practice drunk. Holy Fucking Enabling, Batman! :blink:

If this is true, I hope the NFL comes down HARD on the Browns.

So if true, the Browns may lose out on drafting their "QB of the future next three years". This would be two years in a row of front office shenanigans and could potentially cost them their first rounder if the NFL decides to go heavy handed.

I love the Browns.

Archived