NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

True enough. Only a desperate team (and the Cowboys) would have drafted Manziel. There's almost a vicious socioeconomic model at work here, where a team that's been so destitute of success for so long is willing to take bigger risks in pursuit of some taste of success.

You see this every year, when Top 10 prospects remain on the draft board into the 20s, while mediocre teams scramble to pick their "next franchise qb".  It happens with other positions as well, like WR and OT, but most often with quarterback. 

The 2011 Draft was astonishing for this.  There were 4 quarterbacks taken in the first 16 picks, three of them were complete busts.  Of the other 12 guys taken, all of them are above average, 11 have made pro bowls, and 10 of the 11 have been All-Pro. 

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

True enough. Only a desperate team (and the Cowboys) would have drafted Manziel. There's almost a vicious socioeconomic model at work here, where a team that's been so destitute of success for so long is willing to take bigger risks in pursuit of some taste of success.

I'll have it noted for the record that The Cowboys did not draft JFF...

2 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I'll have it noted for the record that The Cowboys did not draft JFF...

You know they would have gone for him if he'd still been there in the second round. The Will of Jerry can only be stayed for so long. Unless you're talking about standing up to Greg Hardy.

So FO has weighed in. According to their numbers, Peyton Manning just had the 3rd worst performance by a QB in the Superbowl since 1989. Only ones worse were Kerry Collins and John Elway in games each QB lost by 30+ points. Certainly it was the worst performance by a winning QB ever. 

It was also the 2nd worst playoff run by a QB ever. Somehow Bledsoe in 1996 was even worse. 

This another way of saying Denver's D was incredible really all playoffs long. In some other alternate dimension where this game is being played out Von Miller misses the Superbowl due to injury and so Denver never gets the 2 TDs he gifted them and lose 24-6. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Remember when Skip Bayless said Houston would forever regret not taking Manziel with the first overall pick?

Of course I don't.  Why would I waste my time listening to Skip Bayless?

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This guy's life is swirling down  the drain in front of our eyes. This guy will be a first round pick in every death pool for the rest of his life.

PQJ,

I'm glad you got the reference, but I was actually talking about your Jacelyn Daggers phase.

P.S.

I love you...

So, so , so glad Dallas didn't pick Manziel.

Also hoping that all this crap about Dallas drafting a QB at #4 this year is smoke and mirrors. No QB I have seen on the lists as being drafted in the 1st round warrants a top 10 pick period. We need someone on Defense who can step on the field on day 1 and contribute. Draft a QB in 3-4-5 round somewhere. I mean damn, our current QB wasn't even drafted!

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So, so , so glad Dallas didn't pick Manziel.

Also hoping that all this crap about Dallas drafting a QB at #4 this year is smoke and mirrors. No QB I have seen on the lists as being drafted in the 1st round warrants a top 10 pick period. We need someone on Defense who can step on the field on day 1 and contribute. Draft a QB in 3-4-5 round somewhere. I mean damn, our current QB wasn't even drafted!

Finding a quality QB in the first round is like trying to shoot a fly with a bazooka. Trying to find a quality QB in later rounds is like trying to shoot a fly with a smaller fly made entirely of plutonium.

3 minutes ago, Independent George said:

Whichever PR flack came up with that one deserves a pay raise.

I just don't buy them covering up for Manziel. They were just going to cut him regardless, they probably could have voided his contract if he was showing up to work drunk.

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Finding a quality QB in the first round is like trying to shoot a fly with a bazooka. Trying to find a quality QB in later rounds is like trying to shoot a fly with a smaller fly made entirely of plutonium.

Yes, but reaching for a QB with a top 4 pick, when there are players there that have a proven track record(unlike the guy they keep saying Dallas will pick) against top level college players is less of a crap shoot. It's more like Danielson catching the fly with chopsticks, meanwhile Mr. Myagi(Cleveland) tries and tries and tries...and keeps missing the good players they could have had.

It's wise not to reach at any draft position, even the 'safe' ones (remember the run on offensive tackles a few years ago?), but the cost is mitigated a bit by the current CBA; it's the opportunity cost of the all-pro you passed up that hurts. That said, Dallas might have made the playoffs this year had they picked a mediocre backup in the 3rd or 4th round sometime in the last three years.

I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea how strong this draft class is.

16 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I knew what it was and I still couldn't stop myself. 

I felt sympathy for Manziel until he hit his gf. Although I gotta believe that there were a ton of character issue red flags for any team that looked into him before the draft. Maybe not though. Had he been a black guy, with everything else the same, he probably doesn't get drafted in the first round though. 

47 minutes ago, Independent George said:

It's wise not to reach at any draft position, even the 'safe' ones (remember the run on offensive tackles a few years ago?), but the cost is mitigated a bit by the current CBA; it's the opportunity cost of the all-pro you passed up that hurts. That said, Dallas might have made the playoffs this year had they picked a mediocre backup in the 3rd or 4th round sometime in the last three years.

I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea how strong this draft class is.

Just what do we think Weedon, Cassel, and Kellen Moore were???

Archived