NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

I've been assembling my March Christmas Wishlist (MCW) while getting in some NWA (No Wishing Allowed).

1) Matt Forte: He's got tread on those tires, and I'd be far more optimistic about his potential than I ever was about Frank Gore.

2) Muhammed Wilkerson: He's really fucking good, the Colts are not. I liked the two rooks this year on the D-line, but one of them shredded his knee and who knows if they can sustain their acceptable level of play.

3) Doug Martin: Only in Tampa could such an electrifying player disappear for 2 whole years then show up again just in time to leave town. I don't blame him, I wouldn't have wanted to risk a career-threatening injury playing in that shithole either.

4) Josh Norman: He's only this low because he'll never hit the market.

5) Alex Mack: Not sure if you've seen my ranting and raving, but Andrew Luck got injured because he couldn't hand the ball off without getting a 300 pound man giving him a non-consensual hug. Then the 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck died on the field like 5 different times. Then Clipboard Jesus needed to be put down. Then Josh Fucking Freeman and Ryan 'The Bagman' Lindley saw actual real life snaps in a must-win game and could have hosted a playoff smackdown. Anyways, O-line is a must. Interior O-line is the biggest must. Luck can move and get away from pressure just as well as Cam, but if there's nowhere to go...

6) Eric Berry: Chuck and Berry already have dragon slaying in common, and Safety has been a horror show since Antoine Bethea stopped being good and Melvin Bullet was inexplicably let go. Seriously, Antoine Bethea and Bullet were pretty not terrible. (Bullet's the guy who made the 4th-and-2 tackle while Bob Sanders was collecting his disability checks)

7) Robert Griffon The Third: I'd love this young man as the backup. Ideally I would like him to go to New England and play with McDaniels/Belichick, but Denver could be interesting. Yeah, think about that one for a second. Fuck Brock Osweiler, I'd take Griffen 3 times out of every 1/3 of the time instead of that freakshow giraffe.

8) Andre Johnson: I want to see him sign with literally any other team, because that would mean he's not on mine anymore.

There is almost no way the Broncos can keep Malik Jackson and Brock unless they somehow turn DT's contract to another team (highly unlikely).  If I was any other team in the league I would have him on my wishlist.  He may have been a benificiary of Von getting double teams some but he he was a playmaker all year (and stopped being a yellow flag generator in the second half of the season).

5 hours ago, Triskan said:

Is this Shaun King article on Peyton getting g no traction?  It sounds really Manning o me and has some Lance Armstrong stuff in terms of destroying other people to keep his own image.

Wow. Interesting read. I wasn't even aware of the article until you brought it up here, so it doesn't seem like it has gained much in the way of traction.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

/ETA: I just came across a blurb on CBS Sports, so maybe it's starting to get picked up?

The CBS article seems to be downplaying the 74 page document that King's article draws heavily on, characterizing it as a "piece of advocacy" written by Naughright's lawyers. (Mike Florio is quoted as having said this)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25483324/peyton-mannings-13-year-old-defamation-lawsuit-resurfaces-things-to-know

31 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Wow. Interesting read. I wasn't even aware of the article until you brought it up here, so it doesn't seem like it has gained much in the way of traction.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

/ETA: I just came across a blurb on CBS Sports, so maybe it's starting to get picked up?

The CBS article seems to be downplaying the 74 page document that King's article draws heavily on, characterizing it as a "piece of advocacy" written by Naughright's lawyers. (Mike Florio is quoted as having said this)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25483324/peyton-mannings-13-year-old-defamation-lawsuit-resurfaces-things-to-know

This whole incident has been teeming under the surface since last Sunday night/Monday morning. It's mentioned in reference to Peyton's crush and silence tactics on anyone trying to get to his image or call him out on not being a saint. ie: Al Jazeera. 

It really should come as no surprise that he is a sexist pig, especially while at UT. Star QB. Famous pedigree. Successful-ish football program. Check. Check. Check. While I would like to think he's not sticking his ass and balls in the face of women anymore I doubt his views on women have changed much. He just keeps them closer to his vest.

17 hours ago, kairparavel said:

This whole incident has been teeming under the surface since last Sunday night/Monday morning. It's mentioned in reference to Peyton's crush and silence tactics on anyone trying to get to his image or call him out on not being a saint. ie: Al Jazeera. 

It really should come as no surprise that he is a sexist pig, especially while at UT. Star QB. Famous pedigree. Successful-ish football program. Check. Check. Check. While I would like to think he's not sticking his ass and balls in the face of women anymore I doubt his views on women haven't changed much. He just keeps them closer to his vest.

Another thing to consider here is how the NFL protects its' image and likely helps to shield Manning from this sort of thing. ESPN is so in bed with the league that I don't expect any sort of substantive investigative journalism (or even criticism) from them. Maybe this is the sort of thing that Simmons might jump all over. That could be fun. 

3 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I usually don't think that "star athlete turns out to be huge asshole" is really news. But in this case, what the article described is beyond the pale.

Yeah, the seeming need to continue to defame this woman's character years after the fact is ridiculous. Not to excuse his initial behavior, but he was 19 years old. Why he would feel the need to go back and screw with her years later when publishing his book is somewhat harder to grasp. 

What a bizarre story on so many levels. None of the alleged actions of Manning make any sense at all. I can believe that the original incident took place, just none of the following incidents make any sense whatsoever. Why would they concoct a story about mooning the teammate when there were no witnesses to the alleged assault?  Why would they make a big production about a "vulgar mouth" for a person who never used off-color language?

What a bizarre story on so many levels. None of the alleged actions of Manning make any sense at all. I can believe that the original incident took place, just none of the following incidents make any sense whatsoever. Why would they concoct a story about mooning the teammate when there were no witnesses to the alleged assault?  Why would they make a big production about a "vulgar mouth" for a person who never used off-color language?

I'm inclined to think the worst of Manning but your right that the story doesn't completely make sense

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Another thing to consider here is how the NFL protects its' image and likely helps to shield Manning from this sort of thing. ESPN is so in bed with the league that I don't expect any sort of substantive investigative journalism (or even criticism) from them. Maybe this is the sort of thing that Simmons could jump all over. That could be fun. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DandCShow/status/698853474893754368?s=09

Rumor has it ESPN told their employees they could't discuss the story.

56 minutes ago, sperry said:

What a bizarre story on so many levels. None of the alleged actions of Manning make any sense at all. I can believe that the original incident took place, just none of the following incidents make any sense whatsoever. Why would they concoct a story about mooning the teammate when there were no witnesses to the alleged assault?  Why would they make a big production about a "vulgar mouth" for a person who never used off-color language?

They made it sound like the teammate that was used in the mooning excuse did witness it. 

From the CBS Sports article...

A. When he turned around and looked at me with the anger in his eyes that I saw, I did not want to get confrontational with him. I could see that anger and when I looked at Mr. Saxon he was just shocked. He had his mouth wide open and he was in shock. In disbelief.

Malcolm Saxon was the player named as having been mooned and he publicly denied that the mooning ever occurred. He was a Red Shirt Freshmen who was never reinstated by the team.

The quote is from Naughright, and neither article is clear whether or not Saxon refuted or substantiated her statement.

I'm not convicting Peyton of anything based off hearsay. Unless he's indicted of something the entire story is at a rumor level to me.

I thought it was fairly well established that Peyton Manning sexually assaulted a trainer( though I guess she was more than a trainer) while at Tennessee. It's the other details and the stuff that came after that surprises me.

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I thought it was fairly well established that Peyton Manning sexually assaulted a trainer( though I guess she was more than a trainer) while at Tennessee. It's the other details and the stuff that came after that surprises me.

I had always thought that Peyton had groped a trainer, which seemed believable. Everything about this story just seems so bizarre that I find it hard to believe.

I remember this when it came out and it was basically the same story that you see now. Peyton was receiving some type of treatment from a trainer and he put some part of his junk on her head or face. I remember it being talked about a little and then going away.

I remember doing stupid stuff as a kid so I don't judge what he did back then as being as bad as what he did later by talking badly about her in his book. He was grown and should have known better than that. I mean, what he did originally should have resulted in criminal charges but it didn't. If you got away with it, let it die man, don't rub salt in the wound years later.

I'd known about the "Peyton Manning teabagged a trainer in college" story for a long time, but I had no idea how sordid it was or how much crap he and his fucking dickface of a father have pulled since then.

I am sure ESPN has more important stories to report on, though, like "Deflategate, One Year Later" retrospectives.

On 2/15/2016 at 0:02 PM, DanteGabriel said:

I'd known about the "Peyton Manning teabagged a trainer in college" story for a long time, but I had no idea how sordid it was or how much crap he and his fucking dickface of a father have pulled since then.

I am sure ESPN has more important stories to report on, though, like "Deflategate, One Year Later" retrospectives.

Since you seemed interested in ESPN's coverage. 

http://espn.go.com/espnw/voices/article/14778120/sarah-spain-said-peyton-manning-sexual-assault-allegations

Archived