Best ASOIAF YouTube videos?

Rachel of Oldstones

35 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Catelyn's refusal to have Jon stay when Ned was leaving and taking her precious girls and her precious Bran does not mean she had some evil plot cooked up. She's an impulsive person. If Jon hadn't wanted to join the Watch, Ned would probably have ended up sending him to a bannerman's castle. Cat didn't have a plan, she just wanted him gone if Ned wasn't going to be there. Jon was a lot easier to ignore with all of the kids there.

There is no quote. But there is no hint either We know that maesters are assigned to castles. We know of only one maester who was allowed to change castles, and that was for the brother of the new king who the Citadel wanted to placate. Delivering Robb does not make Luwin a Tully man. 

Everyone does not know it. The author said she hasn't. Why are you arguing against the author's own words? He does not lie to the fans.

I didn't say she made it up. I said she wouldn't know. She's obviously not one of Mance's group, which means she is going on what she's heard from other people. And yes it's very likely she's saying something she "knows" that isn't true. GRRM talks about unreliable narrator in his interviews, and this is one of the things he talks about. The POV structure only allows for what the characters know, and what they know isn't always true.

Mance was in the Watch for decades. He had time to learn all the songs when he was growing up, and he would have because the Night's Watch has members from all over the Seven Kingdoms...including Dorne. People who sing will sing pretty much anywhere, any time. And if you have the gift for it, memorizing songs is not difficult. My whole family sings. I can't count the number of songs I know by heart, and I'm not as old as Mance is. Nor am I from a tiny continent in the middle ages which will have far fewer songs than my country does in the 21st century.

There's no such thing as "southern features." 

I don't know about the evil plot involving Jon

I think it alludes to Luwin perhaps kinda maybe being a little bit more tully than stark.

So Jon snow is lying to himself in his own head when he thinks about how hurt he would have been by catelyns words when he was younger?

First chapter we hear about the wildling king. A few chapters later a wildling says bluntly that he WASNT born north of the wall. It means something it cant be total bs.

The fact that he is as far north as you can be and sining the Dornishmans wife is a pretty good clue that he is well travelled i think.

There are wildling features. They are generally big, loud, hairy etc. 

2 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

I don't know about the evil plot involving Jon

I think it alludes to Luwin perhaps kinda maybe being a little bit more tully than stark.

So Jon snow is lying to himself in his own head when he thinks about how hurt he would have been by catelyns words when he was younger?

First chapter we hear about the wildling king. A few chapters later a wildling says bluntly that he WASNT born north of the wall. It means something it cant be total bs.

The fact that he is as far north as you can be and sining the Dornishmans wife is a pretty good clue that he is well travelled i think.

There are wildling features. They are generally big, loud, hairy etc. 

Perhaps kinda maybe is okay. The video doesn't say perhaps, kinda, or maybe. They flat out say that Cat and Luwin have been plotting, which is not supported by the text.

That's not Jon lying to himself. That's Jon thinking that IF she'd said it when he was younger it would have hurt him but it doesn't now. There's no conflict with what the author said.

A Wildling who we have no reason to believe has any first-hand information about Mance. There are tens of thousands of Wildlings. It's not possible for Mance to be on intimate terms with all of them. She doesn't say he wasn't born north of the Wall, that's an interpretation. She says he doesn't know what winter is, which implies that she thinks he's from Westeros, but it could be the North she means. And it's a moot point anyway because anyone who's been at the Wall for at least 15 years has seen winter, so clearly she is not literally saying that he doesn't know what it is. She's just doing the typical human "my weather is worse than your weather" bit. 

Jon knows The Dornishman's Wife and he's never stepped outside of the North, most likely not even leaving Winterfell until going to the Wall. It's one of the best-known songs in Westeros. It doesn't indicate anyone having traveled other than the singers who do that anyway to make their living.

Big is not a feature. Loud is also not a feature. Hairy is the Ibbenese, not the Wildlings. The smattering of Wildlings we know have varying looks. Tormund is short but massive. Styr is tall and bald. Ygritte is small and skinny, with red hair and presumably fair skin, and a pug nose. Val and Dalla are blondes, Val is slender but with a nicely curved figure. Jarl is a pretty boy with dark hair. Osha is tall and lean with brown hair. Harma is short and round. Rattleshirt is small and has dark hair with a widow's peak. The Weeper is blond. Varamyr is small, bald, and round-shouldered. Willow has a long dark braid. Craster's most distinctive feature is a flat nose. Eye colors among them vary. There is clearly no standard Wildling look. 

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Perhaps kinda maybe is okay. The video doesn't say perhaps, kinda, or maybe. They flat out say that Cat and Luwin have been plotting, which is not supported by the text.

That's not Jon lying to himself. That's Jon thinking that IF she'd said it when he was younger it would have hurt him but it doesn't now. There's no conflict with what the author said.

A Wildling who we have no reason to believe has any first-hand information about Mance. There are tens of thousands of Wildlings. It's not possible for Mance to be on intimate terms with all of them. She doesn't say he wasn't born north of the Wall, that's an interpretation. She says he doesn't know what winter is, which implies that she thinks he's from Westeros, but it could be the North she means. And it's a moot point anyway because anyone who's been at the Wall for at least 15 years has seen winter, so clearly she is not literally saying that he doesn't know what it is. She's just doing the typical human "my weather is worse than your weather" bit. 

Jon knows The Dornishman's Wife and he's never stepped outside of the North, most likely not even leaving Winterfell until going to the Wall. It's one of the best-known songs in Westeros. It doesn't indicate anyone having traveled other than the singers who do that anyway to make their living.

Big is not a feature. Loud is also not a feature. Hairy is the Ibbenese, not the Wildlings. The smattering of Wildlings we know have varying looks. Tormund is short but massive. Styr is tall and bald. Ygritte is small and skinny, with red hair and presumably fair skin, and a pug nose. Val and Dalla are blondes, Val is slender but with a nicely curved figure. Jarl is a pretty boy with dark hair. Osha is tall and lean with brown hair. Harma is short and round. Rattleshirt is small and has dark hair with a widow's peak. The Weeper is blond. Varamyr is small, bald, and round-shouldered. Willow has a long dark braid. Craster's most distinctive feature is a flat nose. Eye colors among them vary. There is clearly no standard Wildling look. 

Still it gives more support for their theory

I dont understand how you can interpret it that way??? It clearly dosnt mean that he was just a fragile child it means 100% that she was very mean to him when he was a child.

Cmon man she isnt bragging about how tough she is because her weather is worse than mance's weather.

Again it is supportive though not by a giant amount of the fact that Mance isnt who he is presented to be.

I guess i over exagerated about "wildling looks" but it should be pretty easy to recognize one shouldnt it?

Just now, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Still it gives more support for their theory

I dont understand how you can interpret it that way??? It clearly dosnt mean that he was just a fragile child it means 100% that she was very mean to him when he was a child.

Cmon man she isnt bragging about how tough she is because her weather is worse than mance's weather.

Again it is supportive though not by a giant amount of the fact that Mance isnt who he is presented to be.

I guess i over exagerated about "wildling looks" but it should be pretty easy to recognize one shouldnt it?

Not when they present it as a fact when it isn't one. That weakens the theory. It makes every single "fact" they mention suspect. And they rely heavily (and unnecessarily) on such thin interpretations presented as fact. They could make stronger cases by stressing what's given in the text, not extrapolating based on their own bias because they want X to mean Z.

My interpretation is based on the text. Your interpretation adds to the text, changing it in the process. I didn't say anything about him being fragile as a child. You're putting words in my mouth...er...keyboard. Did the same things hurt your feelings at 14 that hurt your feelings at 6? I'm betting no. When I was 6 I would burst into tears if I dropped my sandwich on the floor, or someone called me a dummy. At 14 I'd just make another sandwich, and ignore the insult. But the most important point is actually that insisting that Catelyn was mean to Jon is basically saying GRRM is a liar. Not once has he lied to the fans. Not. Once.

"Tough" has nothing to do with it. My winters are worse than my brother's winters in Missouri, and I'm still a delicate little wimp. The interpretation they give, and you bought, only works if you completely ignore the limitations of the characters' knowledge, the POV structure, and the author's constantly putting in things that aren't true.

By that logic Jon must be from Dorne because he knows the song. Mance may well not be who he is supposed to be...but he's just as likely to actually be exactly who he says...a Wildling-born, raised by the Night's Watch, but unwilling to continue with the restrictive rules forever. However, there's a decent case to be made for a connection with Bloodraven which may mean his defection from the Watch was planned so that he could unite his people and bring them through the Wall for the purpose of lessening the threat to Westeros...thus still protecting the realms of men...thus still being true to the main purpose of the Night's Watch.

You could recognize a Wildling by a couple of things: the way they dress, and the way they act. Otherwise there is nothing in particular about them that sets them apart. They're just First Men who ended up on the north side of the Wall. They don't talk the same way (compare Val and Dalla with Ygritte, for example). They don't look the same. They even have tall blonds and that's supposed to be the typical Andal look.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:50 PM, Rachel of Oldstones said:

I subscribe to a few...

Preston Jacobs

Alt shift X

GoT Academy

It's been a while since I've looked for new ones and would appreciate suggestions. 

Thanks guys!

I'm a YT subscriber of Westeros History.  Their programs can get too long but you can't argue that they're not thorough.  P Jacobs is tinfoily but I look forward to his work.  I'm a patreon supporter of P Jacobs.  Chris (Smoke Screen) is another thorough fan and his shows are unbiased.

I'm no fan of GOT Academy.  They're Dany haters.  Those two gentlemen regularly get a thumbs down from me. 

I'm a fan of Preston Jacobs' work.  I subscribe to his channel.  His "thousand worlds book club" vids are great and those short stories should be on the reading list of the serious ASOIAF fan. 

Most of the programs on YT are directed to the show watchers.  Most of the questions asked are coming from casual fans.  The shows cater to the questions of the tv-only fans.  Preston Jacobs is different.  He gets into high level discussions of the books and he brings in outside material like Martin's other written stories to the discussion.

12 hours ago, Holley 4 Barrel said:

I'm a fan of Preston Jacobs' work.  I subscribe to his channel.  His "thousand worlds book club" vids are great and those short stories should be on the reading list of the serious ASOIAF fan. 

Most of the programs on YT are directed to the show watchers.  Most of the questions asked are coming from casual fans.  The shows cater to the questions of the tv-only fans.  Preston Jacobs is different.  He gets into high level discussions of the books and he brings in outside material like Martin's other written stories to the discussion.

I agree on too many people focus on the show.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:50 PM, Rachel of Oldstones said:

I subscribe to a few...

Preston Jacobs

Alt shift X

GoT Academy

It's been a while since I've looked for new ones and would appreciate suggestions. 

Thanks guys!

Nerd Soup - in depth and detailed talks

Preston Jacobs - he's not afraid to ask the tough questions

Westeros History - it depends on the co host.  Sometimes they have annoying guests.

Alt Shift X

Pete Peppers

Charlie in Westeros

Smoke Screen

Ser Hunt Reviews

On 3/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, Princess Daenerys said:

Nerd Soup - in depth and detailed talks

Preston Jacobs - he's not afraid to ask the tough questions  

Westeros History - it depends on the co host.  Sometimes they have annoying guests.

Alt Shift X

Pete Peppers

Charlie in Westeros

Smoke Screen

Ser Hunt Reviews

Nerd Soup also does awesome movie reviews.  Have you seen their review of "Ghost in the Shell"?  They have a good show.  I recommend them.

Pete Peppers is very good but he hasn't released anything in a while.  I actually like the ones like him who have careers outside of you youtube.  The ones who make a living doing these video reviews are biased.

Preston Jacobs isn't afraid to criticize the Starks.  I love that about his shows.  

As far as podcast go I like the Davos Fingers guys. They aren't as knowledgeable as the Radio Weateroes and others (one admits to avoiding forums like this so he can have fresh thoughts). Their premise is they listen to discuss 5 chapters episode(spoiler free) until the end. They may not be up to date with all the theories and whatnot but it's somewhat refreshing. Just a couple of friends discussing a series of books they love. 

YouTube videos though, Alt-Shift-X is clear and concise. Text based evidence, nothing groundbreaking but very good.  

As far as podcast go I like the Davos Fingers guys. They aren't as knowledgeable as the Radio Westeros and others (one admits to avoiding forums like this so he can have fresh thoughts). Their premise is they listen to  and discuss 5 chapters each episode(spoiler free) until the end. They may not be up to date with all the theories and whatnot but it's somewhat refreshing. Just a couple of friends discussing a series of books they love. 

YouTube videos though, Alt-Shift-X is clear and concise. Text based evidence, nothing groundbreaking but very good.  

Archived