Best ASOIAF YouTube videos?

Rachel of Oldstones

I really like the history and lore series on youtube...the animations are beautiful and the narration by the hbo actors is superb...no new ground is broken but its an outstanding introduction to westeros and the back stories so important to appreciating the story...the art is so good it makes me long for an animated vetsion of d and e or possibly a telling of the dance of dragons...one day maybe

2 hours ago, house of dayne said:

I really like the history and lore series on youtube...the animations are beautiful and the narration by the hbo actors is superb...no new ground is broken but its an outstanding introduction to westeros and the back stories so important to appreciating the story...the art is so good it makes me long for an animated vetsion of d and e or possibly a telling of the dance of dragons...one day maybe

Those are histories included on the Game of Thrones DVDs.  Actually, I'm not sure if they're technically allowed to be on YouTube, copy-write issues and what not.  (ETA: But yeah, they're really good.  :) )

Season 5 will include a 20- or 30-minute segment on the history of The Dance of the Dragons.  A scene of it can be seen at the beginning of this video.

• 1 year later...
Just now, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Which videos don't you like and why?

The Catelyn ones, for the reasons I've mentioned to you before:
-they can't tell the difference between narrative and a character's thoughts
-they don't understand third-person, limited POV
-and they twist the text so badly to try and make their case that they've essentially rewritten Cat's part of the story

Haven't had any major issues with any of their other videos so far, and I'm really liking The Wars to Come series. I don't agree with all of their interpretations, some are pretty thin, but I think they have some really strong points too.

1 minute ago, Therae said:

I kind of love this one. "Well...it's more like six kingdoms, now..."

Also the GRRM vs. JRRT one. :)

I mean, they are ASOIAF videos, no?

Yes they are. Those are pretty good. I'd be happy to share some of my favorite music videos if anyone would be interested. I'll even spread it out over time so it's not a dozen links in one day.

8 minutes ago, Therae said:

I kind of love this one. "Well...it's more like six kingdoms, now..."

Also the GRRM vs. JRRT one. :)

I mean, they are ASOIAF videos, no?

Just now, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Parodies in particular today. I just found the Real Housewives of Westeros!

Going to check out a Disney/GoT crossover next...

Ohhhhh YES!

I don't like listening to some youtubers spouting their half-backen nonsense theories, but I LOOOOOOOOOVE those parody videos.

There's also these medleys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5oBI76sig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH66oTVashY

Tywin coming out of the privy to rap always cracks me up X-D

And this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjJf0WqKK1w

This Jon Snow isn't the best singer imho (not horrible though), but their Joffrey is MARVELOUS hahahaha.

And this animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elwj8ZFAznE

And the Game of Thrones 16-bit RPGs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lE2ns_vUY

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

The Catelyn ones, for the reasons I've mentioned to you before:
-they can't tell the difference between narrative and a character's thoughts
-they don't understand third-person, limited POV
-and they twist the text so badly to try and make their case that they've essentially rewritten Cat's part of the story

Haven't had any major issues with any of their other videos so far, and I'm really liking The Wars to Come series. I don't agree with all of their interpretations, some are pretty thin, but I think they have some really strong points too.

Give some examples

9 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Give some examples

If you don't mind me interjecting I can you an example.

When you present a theory you should not only give the evidence in the text that supports it, you should also give evidence that doesn't support it and why you THINK it does not matter. For example for their theory that Val is the daughter of Eddard Stark and Ashara Dayne they mentioned her eyes as sometimes grey and Starks have grey eyes. However they don't mention in their description of Val that she has dark honey blond hair. No Daynes or Starks are described as having honey blond hair ever in any books. Then they also put up pictures in their videos of a girl with white Dayne/Targaryen hair to represent Val, they mislead their viewers. The same way they mislead their viewers when they flash pictures of Arthur and Mance saying the same thing, then call the show fan fiction when it does something to disprove their theories. If Val's hair had any white in it Jon would have mentioned it when he lists the other 12 things that were white in his description of Val's appearance.

1 hour ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

If you don't mind me interjecting I can you an example.

When you present a theory you should not only give the evidence in the text that supports it, you should also give evidence that doesn't support it and why you THINK it does not matter. For example for their theory that Val is the daughter of Eddard Stark and Ashara Dayne they mentioned her eyes as sometimes grey and Starks have grey eyes. However they don't mention in their description of Val that she has dark honey blond hair. No Daynes or Starks are described as having honey blond hair ever in any books. Then they also put up pictures in their videos of a girl with white Dayne/Targaryen hair to represent Val, they mislead their viewers. The same way they mislead their viewers when they flash pictures of Arthur and Mance saying the same thing, then call the show fan fiction when it does something to disprove their theories. If Val's hair had any white in it Jon would have mentioned it when he lists the other 12 things that were white in his description of Val's appearance.

Good points but you have to agree that GoT is surface fanfic right?

38 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Good points but you have to agree that GoT is surface fanfic right?

Sure, but you can't use visual or any other evidence from the show to help prove a book theory then go and say other stuff from the show can't disprove your book theory because its fan fiction. You have to choose.

40 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Sure, but you can't use visual or any other evidence from the show to help prove a book theory then go and say other stuff from the show can't disprove your book theory because its fan fiction. You have to choose.

You don't have to choose at all. If something is a certain way in tv series then it gives a bit of support but it isnt fact.

Archived