• Alt Shift Ex
  • Emergency Awesome
  • Teflon TV

I don't like the following channels:

• GOT Academy
  • Radio Westeros
  • James of Thrones
  • Rawrist

I give these four my recommendations.  They get a like from me each time.

1. Preston Jacobs has the best analysis out there because he takes the time to read George Martin's other stories.  I recommend to any serious fan to do the same. 
  2. Enchantment of Eternity
  3. Pete Peppers
  4. Ideas of Ice and Fire

I can't stand Radio Westeros  and Secrets of the Citadel.  They get a dislike from me whenever I watch their videos. 

19 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Give some examples

Sure. Happy to.

In Catelyn's second chapter when they get to the part about Ned rolling off, they say they didn't even realize it was a sex scene, because Catelyn was thinking about things like her old home, and her siblings. They literally say that Catelyn is thinking about anything but her husband while they are in bed together. That's completely wrong.

The stuff about her background is narrative from the author to tell us more about the character. He's not writing her thoughts during sex, quite possibly because he's not a woman and doesn't want to get that stuff wrong.

They suggest that she and Luwin cooked up a scheme to get rid of Jon when they heard Robert was coming to Winterfell, which is ridiculous. If they wanted to get rid of Jon, they could have cooked up a scheme without the king coming to visit. Jon is the one who came up with joining the Watch, not Catelyn, not Luwin. If he'd been influenced by Luwin, then we'd get that in his POV.

They further suggest that Luwin was the maester at Riverrun, but he wasn't. He went to Riverrun to deliver Lord Stark's firstborn because he was sent to Winterfell in the first place to serve Lord Stark. No way he was going to let some other maester potentially screw things up with his new Lord's first child. Luwin and Catelyn do not go way back.

They take what the author says was an isolated incident when Catelyn hadn't slept for days, was worried out of her mind, and was not thinking straight, and portray it as a normal interaction between Cat and Jon. They twist other lines of text to try and support this. For instance Robb's concern about what his mother might have said when Jon went to say goodbye to Bran. But they completely ignore the fact that Robb would well aware of his mother's condition and that she might not be herself at the time. They make it sound like Catelyn goes out of her way to make Jon feel unwelcome and treat him badly when according to the author she pretty much ignored him.

All of their subsequent ideas about Catelyn are based on the above ideas and further faulty analysis. She's not my favorite character by a long shot, but she's nowhere near as bad as they paint her. 

I didn't keep any notes on the Catelyn videos from which I could give a good example of their not understanding the POV structure, but I can give you one from The Wars To Come in their thoughts about Osha's comments regarding Mance Rayder. They are taking an uneducated Wildling woman, who may never even have met Mance, and may only know rumors from the likes of the men she's with when captured, and present her statements as facts. Osha saying Mance doesn't know what winter is like is akin to people in Wisconsin (myself included) scoffing at people from Illinois and further south talking about winter--and there's some basis for said scoffing.

There's no reason to expect Osha to have any first-hand information about Mance. And there is every reason to expect some of the Wildings--particularly the ones who are noticeably NOT in the group with Mance--would question his claim that he was Wilding born, because for decades they knew him only as a crow and they don't trust crows.

This doesn't preclude Mance being Arthur Dayne, or anyone else including himself, but it's faulty analysis and they'd be better served to stick to their strong points...like the lines about knees that don't bend easily. Limited POV means we get what the characters know, and some of what they "know" is wrong. GRRM loves using that and unreliable narrator to help keep us readers on our toes. He's rather brilliant that way. :D 

10 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Well then I guess you consider the show to be more then fan fiction.

They mess with things a lot but they do get some things right.

Spoiler

For instance they've all but hopped up and down holding a sign that says R+L=J and that's one mystery I'm fairly certain GRRM would not have let them go forward without knowing. Changing that particular bit would be worse than what they did to Dorne.

21 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Ohhhhh YES!

<snip

I'd seen that first medley before. The Dead Characters medley is awesome! Can't believe I hadn't seen that before.

The Jon Snow in the Let It Go parody pronounces Westeros oddly, but overall he's got a good voice. They filmed him actually walking/stalking for the first part, and that affected how he sounded. You're absolutely right about their Joffrey. What a voice!

Oh, if only I'd known CH was doing GoT Wish Fulfillment videos. That was so good I wasn't even annoyed by Tywin saying Tyrion was pardoned when he should have said he was innocent. 

...and RPGs!!! Go CH! I'll have to watch all of those now. :D

Have you seen the Bad Lip Reading and Honest Trailer for them? 

And I'll add a music video to this post as well. Arya and Sansa, Fight Song.

@Lady Blizzardborn @Orphalesion Oh man, I spent so much time down the rabbithole with these yesterday, I completely failed to do any of the laundry I'd had planned. ;) And now there's more! :D Who needs work clothes?

That WestERRos thing was...distracting. Was the Joffrey a gal (a la Peter Pan)?

And I heart the Honest Trailers. I shall have to go find the bad lip reading.

ETA: OMG LB, ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaah. 

1 hour ago, Therae said:

@Lady Blizzardborn @Orphalesion Oh man, I spent so much time down the rabbithole with these yesterday, I completely failed to do any of the laundry I'd had planned. ;) And now there's more! :D Who needs work clothes?

That WestERRos thing was...distracting. Was the Joffrey a gal (a la Peter Pan)?

And I heart the Honest Trailers. I shall have to go find the bad lip reading.

ETA: OMG LB, ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaah. 

Yes to the Joffrey performer.

So glad you like Medieval Land Funtime World. I think it's my very favorite. 

2 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Sure. Happy to.

In Catelyn's second chapter when they get to the part about Ned rolling off, they say they didn't even realize it was a sex scene, because Catelyn was thinking about things like her old home, and her siblings. They literally say that Catelyn is thinking about anything but her husband while they are in bed together. That's completely wrong.

The stuff about her background is narrative from the author to tell us more about the character. He's not writing her thoughts during sex, quite possibly because he's not a woman and doesn't want to get that stuff wrong.

They suggest that she and Luwin cooked up a scheme to get rid of Jon when they heard Robert was coming to Winterfell, which is ridiculous. If they wanted to get rid of Jon, they could have cooked up a scheme without the king coming to visit. Jon is the one who came up with joining the Watch, not Catelyn, not Luwin. If he'd been influenced by Luwin, then we'd get that in his POV.

They further suggest that Luwin was the maester at Riverrun, but he wasn't. He went to Riverrun to deliver Lord Stark's firstborn because he was sent to Winterfell in the first place to serve Lord Stark. No way he was going to let some other maester potentially screw things up with his new Lord's first child. Luwin and Catelyn do not go way back.

They take what the author says was an isolated incident when Catelyn hadn't slept for days, was worried out of her mind, and was not thinking straight, and portray it as a normal interaction between Cat and Jon. They twist other lines of text to try and support this. For instance Robb's concern about what his mother might have said when Jon went to say goodbye to Bran. But they completely ignore the fact that Robb would well aware of his mother's condition and that she might not be herself at the time. They make it sound like Catelyn goes out of her way to make Jon feel unwelcome and treat him badly when according to the author she pretty much ignored him.

All of their subsequent ideas about Catelyn are based on the above ideas and further faulty analysis. She's not my favorite character by a long shot, but she's nowhere near as bad as they paint her. 

I didn't keep any notes on the Catelyn videos from which I could give a good example of their not understanding the POV structure, but I can give you one from The Wars To Come in their thoughts about Osha's comments regarding Mance Rayder. They are taking an uneducated Wildling woman, who may never even have met Mance, and may only know rumors from the likes of the men she's with when captured, and present her statements as facts. Osha saying Mance doesn't know what winter is like is akin to people in Wisconsin (myself included) scoffing at people from Illinois and further south talking about winter--and there's some basis for said scoffing.

There's no reason to expect Osha to have any first-hand information about Mance. And there is every reason to expect some of the Wildings--particularly the ones who are noticeably NOT in the group with Mance--would question his claim that he was Wilding born, because for decades they knew him only as a crow and they don't trust crows.

This doesn't preclude Mance being Arthur Dayne, or anyone else including himself, but it's faulty analysis and they'd be better served to stick to their strong points...like the lines about knees that don't bend easily. Limited POV means we get what the characters know, and some of what they "know" is wrong. GRRM loves using that and unreliable narrator to help keep us readers on our toes. He's rather brilliant that way. :D 

They took advantage of Robert coming to Winterfell to get rid of Jon it wasnt their master plan 10 year in the making.

You are gonna have to quote the maester luwin riverrun situation for me i dont remember but the wiki does say luwin deliverd robb at riverrun

Good point that Robb would know that Catelyn wasnt herself but still it indicates she has historicly been a bitch to jon.

Authors as good as george just dont put in the statement from osha that he wasnt born in the north to mess with readers. By that logic nothing old nan says should be believed. Do you really think he would put it in there if it was bs? No way dude also if you were born and raised a wildling it would be reasonable that you can see through a southerner acting being a wildling wouldnt it?

1 hour ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

They took advantage of Robert coming to Winterfell to get rid of Jon it wasnt their master plan 10 year in the making.

You are gonna have to quote the maester luwin riverrun situation for me i dont remember but the wiki does say luwin deliverd robb at riverrun

Good point that Robb would know that Catelyn wasnt herself but still it indicates she has historicly been a bitch to jon.

Authors as good as george just dont put in the statement from osha that he wasnt born in the north to mess with readers. By that logic nothing old nan says should be believed.

Do you really think he would put it in there if it was bs?

No way dude also if you were born and raised a wildling it would be reasonable that you can see through a southerner acting being a wildling wouldnt it?

They were not "getting rid of Jon." Jon was getting rid of himself. Catelyn didn't care for Jon's presence but Luwin had nothing against him. It wasn't a plan at all. There was no collusion between the two of them. If Jon hadn't already mentioned an interest in taking the black, Catelyn would have wanted him to go anywhere else but Luwin would probably have wisely kept out of the discussion.

Maester Luwin was assigned to Winterfell, not Riverrun. That's in the wiki. Of course he delivered Robb, for the reasons I mentioned before. He was assigned to serve Lord Stark and he couldn't do anything much for Eddard during the war but he could see that his firstborn child was safely delivered. There is only one case ever of a maester changing castles to stay with a member of the family he used to serve (Cressen) and that was likely only approved because Stannis was the brother of the new king.

No, it doesn't. It indicates that Robb is worried she might be a bitch to him now. It does not indicate her having done so in the past. Per the author, she does not have a pattern of being mean to Jon. Robb knows that his mother hasn't mistreated Jon, but he also knows how she feels about him being at Winterfell. Naturally he would be concerned that in her current state she might let an unkind thought escape her lips, even though she hasn't done so before. If she had been terrible to Jon in the past, Eddard would have found out about it, if only from Robb.

You're rather exaggerating what I said. Not every single comment is a clue in this series. No author is capable of writing like that, and it would make for a really bad story if it could be done. I agree that George is a master of his craft though.

Yes, I do. Just like he put in Sansa remembering Sandor kissing her when he didn't. And Robert believing Rhaegar raped Lyanna, which may not be true. And Ashara Dayne committing suicide yet no body, no note, and no witnesses. And a host of other things that characters "know" that are just plain wrong. He has the most fun with this in the Dothraki culture where the phrase "It is known" clues the reader in to things that are completely wrong. He loves planting red herrings and misinformation. If he didn't do that there wouldn't be any mysteries in the series.

Not if he was a good actor. Acting is a talent. Some people have it, some people don't. Similarly some people can see through it, and some people can't. In order to see through it, Osha would have to spend time close to Mance and as far as we know she hasn't even met the man.

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

They mess with things a lot but they do get some things right.

Hide contents

For instance they've all but hopped up and down holding a sign that says R+L=J and that's one mystery I'm fairly certain GRRM would not have let them go forward without knowing. Changing that particular bit would be worse than what they did to Dorne.

Agreed. I just don't like it when youtubers use stuff from the show to help prove their book theories, then turn around and call it fan fiction when the show does something to disprove their theories. That make sense?

7 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Agreed. I just don't like it when youtubers use stuff from the show to help prove their book theories, then turn around and call it fan fiction when the show does something to disprove their theories. That make sense?

It does.

9 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

And Robert believing Rhaegar raped Lyanna, which may not be true.

She was 15, in almost any culture taking a 15 year girl away from her family and locking her in a tower is rape, no matter how much she "consented"

14 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

They were not "getting rid of Jon." Jon was getting rid of himself. Catelyn didn't care for Jon's presence but Luwin had nothing against him. It wasn't a plan at all. There was no collusion between the two of them. If Jon hadn't already mentioned an interest in taking the black, Catelyn would have wanted him to go anywhere else but Luwin would probably have wisely kept out of the discussion.

Maester Luwin was assigned to Winterfell, not Riverrun. That's in the wiki. Of course he delivered Robb, for the reasons I mentioned before. He was assigned to serve Lord Stark and he couldn't do anything much for Eddard during the war but he could see that his firstborn child was safely delivered. There is only one case ever of a maester changing castles to stay with a member of the family he used to serve (Cressen) and that was likely only approved because Stannis was the brother of the new king.

No, it doesn't. It indicates that Robb is worried she might be a bitch to him now. It does not indicate her having done so in the past. Per the author, she does not have a pattern of being mean to Jon. Robb knows that his mother hasn't mistreated Jon, but he also knows how she feels about him being at Winterfell. Naturally he would be concerned that in her current state she might let an unkind thought escape her lips, even though she hasn't done so before. If she had been terrible to Jon in the past, Eddard would have found out about it, if only from Robb.

You're rather exaggerating what I said. Not every single comment is a clue in this series. No author is capable of writing like that, and it would make for a really bad story if it could be done. I agree that George is a master of his craft though.

Yes, I do. Just like he put in Sansa remembering Sandor kissing her when he didn't. And Robert believing Rhaegar raped Lyanna, which may not be true. And Ashara Dayne committing suicide yet no body, no note, and no witnesses. And a host of other things that characters "know" that are just plain wrong. He has the most fun with this in the Dothraki culture where the phrase "It is known" clues the reader in to things that are completely wrong. He loves planting red herrings and misinformation. If he didn't do that there wouldn't be any mysteries in the series.

Not if he was a good actor. Acting is a talent. Some people have it, some people don't. Similarly some people can see through it, and some people can't. In order to see through it, Osha would have to spend time close to Mance and as far as we know she hasn't even met the man.

Eddard and Catelyn werent aware that Jon was going to join the nights watch then and Catelyn said she refused to have him there.

Unless you give me a quote on the Measter Luwin part then it hints that he might perhaps maybe be more of a tully than a stark.

Don't know what to say... Everyone knows that Catelyn has always been mean to jon why are you arguing against it?

Not everything is a clue but among the first chapters she says something very striking that goes against the common knowledge. It is definatly 100% no way in hell that she was just bluurping out some bs she made up for no reason.

Sure there are good convincing actors but i don't think wildlings sing songs all the time especially from dorne and he has southern features. 

Anyone managed to check out Preston Jacobs Forsaken Part 6?

He has some very interesting theories on what he refers to as The Battle of Blood. (a catchy title for the Euron/Redwyn naval battle)

I'm a big fan of the majority of Ice and Fire related Youtube stuff. It's great to see such a community developing between the various different teams.

18 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Eddard and Catelyn werent aware that Jon was going to join the nights watch then and Catelyn said she refused to have him there.

Unless you give me a quote on the Measter Luwin part then it hints that he might perhaps maybe be more of a tully than a stark.

Don't know what to say... Everyone knows that Catelyn has always been mean to jon why are you arguing against it?

Not everything is a clue but among the first chapters she says something very striking that goes against the common knowledge. It is definatly 100% no way in hell that she was just bluurping out some bs she made up for no reason.

Sure there are good convincing actors but i don't think wildlings sing songs all the time especially from dorne and he has southern features. 

Catelyn's refusal to have Jon stay when Ned was leaving and taking her precious girls and her precious Bran does not mean she had some evil plot cooked up. She's an impulsive person. If Jon hadn't wanted to join the Watch, Ned would probably have ended up sending him to a bannerman's castle. Cat didn't have a plan, she just wanted him gone if Ned wasn't going to be there. Jon was a lot easier to ignore with all of the kids there.

There is no quote. But there is no hint either We know that maesters are assigned to castles. We know of only one maester who was allowed to change castles, and that was for the brother of the new king who the Citadel wanted to placate. Delivering Robb does not make Luwin a Tully man. 

Everyone does not know it. The author said she hasn't. Why are you arguing against the author's own words? He does not lie to the fans.

I didn't say she made it up. I said she wouldn't know. She's obviously not one of Mance's group, which means she is going on what she's heard from other people. And yes it's very likely she's saying something she "knows" that isn't true. GRRM talks about unreliable narrator in his interviews, and this is one of the things he talks about. The POV structure only allows for what the characters know, and what they know isn't always true.

Mance was in the Watch for decades. He had time to learn all the songs when he was growing up, and he would have because the Night's Watch has members from all over the Seven Kingdoms...including Dorne. People who sing will sing pretty much anywhere, any time. And if you have the gift for it, memorizing songs is not difficult. My whole family sings. I can't count the number of songs I know by heart, and I'm not as old as Mance is. Nor am I from a tiny continent in the middle ages which will have far fewer songs than my country does in the 21st century.

There's no such thing as "southern features." 

6 hours ago, Cataldo said:

She was 15, in almost any culture taking a 15 year girl away from her family and locking her in a tower is rape, no matter how much she "consented"

In Westeros 15 is almost grown. Locking someone in a tower is not rape. Rape is a physical act that has specific definitions. Consent precludes it. There were no statutory rape laws in Westeros. Try looking at it from a medieval perspective instead of a modern one.

Archived