So, Resting Bitch Face is a real thing, according to scientists

Free Northman Reborn

RBF and RPF are different though. RBF is basically an unintentional grumpy face being your natural look when you are relaxed and in a neutral emotional state. RPF though, if it relates to the "punchable" face, is a smarmy arrogant look in the emotionally neutral state. It's actually a more harmful condition because it makes people want to punch you in the face. RBF however tends to simply make people a bit frightened of you, which is somewhat protective and to some degree is possibly a look that could be cultivated and put to good use. RPF has no possible beneficial uses.

RBF has proven enormously beneficial for me since I was a baby of 15. 

In school: bullies, beware!

Socially: stay away, lecherous uncles or at least, think twice

At work:  fewer sexist jokes and hardly any come ons; I say hardly because this is the real world, not fantasy :P 

In public: most useful here. Very effective weapon for warding off fucking gawkers who think they have a right to leer at you because you're a woman. 

So overall, I'd say my patented RBF has been a real support and comfort to me, as well as helping me achieve various goals. 

10 hours ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

It almost makes me want to become a fatal macho assaulter.

You can! See my new custom title.

About the topic I get asked "what's wrong?" by concerned colleagues all the time. Not sure if it's my face, I tend to have two main moods animated and excited or lost in though daydreaming, and so I think when people see the normally chatty me staring into space for five minutes they think I have some terrible problem. When really I'm just trying to figure out how to assassinate my way to  the throne of England in Crusader Kings.  

3 hours ago, Crixus said:

RBF has proven enormously beneficial for me since I was a baby of 15. 

In school: bullies, beware!

Socially: stay away, lecherous uncles or at least, think twice

At work:  fewer sexist jokes and hardly any come ons; I say hardly because this is the real world, not fantasy :P 

In public: most useful here. Very effective weapon for warding off fucking gawkers who think they have a right to leer at you because you're a woman. 

So overall, I'd say my patented RBF has been a real support and comfort to me, as well as helping me achieve various goals. 

It's always kind of hindered me. I'm not the most sociable of people and I'm already quite awkward in conversation at the best of times. So having an expression that is naturally quite melancholy makes things 10x worse. People tend to think I'm annoyed with them, or that I don't want to be talking with them, because my expression everts to this in lulls in the conversation. 

I also can't really smile naturally without looking quite creepy, which doesn't help.

@Crixus, my wife has had her RBF do a lot of favors for her also. She basically sums it up as, if she doesn't want to interact with anyone, she uses her RBF. My parents think she hates them. Every time we visit my parents I inevitably get a phone call asking what my wife's problem is with them. Huh, next time I'm gonna have my dad research RBF. Because, I am honestly sick and tired of explaining that's just how she looks when she isn't speaking and interacting. The first couple years we where together I would always ask her what her problem was, then I figured it out that she had RBF and it could detract the unwanted. I like my wife's RBF.

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I beg to differ.  I think that qualifies as a "resting douchebag face," or RDF. 

(He's probably a very nice fellow, so my apologies if he ever sees this! :blush: ) 

The guy increased the price of a life saving drug his company made by 5000%. Yep, face matches character.

@HelenaExMachina

I can relate. As a kid I was so awkward I could barely look people in the eye. A mix of factors (was overweight, had awful acne, and my dad died of alcoholism when I was 14, which was a huge stigma around here) made me painfully shy, even paranoid. I would imagine girls laughing at me in school (we were in a strict Convent) and it hurt. So I kinda adopted an RFP as a defense mechanism of sorts. Guess it's habit now.

Mine isn't melancholy, rather irritated/annoyed or at worst, standoffish. Similar to @Michael Seswatha Jordan's account of his spouse I reckon. 

Archived