Rank the Fighters of Westeros

James Steller

If we’re talking strictly at the start of A Game of Thrones and not people in their primes:

Elite:

Oberyn Martell

Jaime Lannister

Garlan Tyrell

Loras Tyrell

Barristan Selmy

Khal Drogo

Syrio Forel

Exceptional:

Brienne of Tarth

Gregor Clegane

Sandor Clegane

Brynden Tully

Victarion Greyjoy

Talbert Serry

Strong Belwas

Bronn

Gerold Dayne

Greatjon Umber

Areo Hotah

Daario Naharis

Lyn Corbray (maybe?)

Balon Swann

Jon Snow

Above Average:

Stannis Baratheon (we don’t really get much information about his personal fighting skills in the text, but the man is a Baratheon and a seasoned warrior, so I’d at least rate him here)

Rodrik Cassel

Jeor Mormont

Bronze Yohn Royce

Jason Mallister

Jorah Mormont

Vardis Egen

Mandon Moore

Meryn Trant

Jory Cassel

Eddard Stark

Theon Greyjoy (with an arrow he’s exceptional, but I don’t know if he’s good with a sword, so I’ll balance him here)

Robb Stark

Average:

Ramsay Snow (a butcher but he is fearless, which does make up for his lack of skill with the sword)

Davos Seaworth (doesn’t have highborn training, but his guile would definitely make up for that)

Below Average:

Boros Blount

Well well, here we go:

Elite

Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy, Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane, Garlan Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Oberyn Martell, Victarion Greyjoy

Exceptional

Lyle Crakehall, Greatjon Umber, Guyard Morrigan, Bryce Caron, Philip Foote, Lothor Brune, Lyn Corbray, Bronn, Harras Harlaw, Daemon Sand, Andrik the Unsmiling, Areo Hotah, Balon Swann, Brienne of Tarth, Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully, Rolland Storm, Iron Emmett, Gerold Dayne, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Jorah Mormont

Above Average

Robb Stark, Yohn Royce, Robar Royce, Parmen Crane, Robett Glover, Mandon Moore, Arys Oakheart, Nute the Barber, Tris Botley, Red Ralf Stonehouse, Donnel Swann, Randyll Tarly, Hosteen Frey, Black Walder Frey, Addam Marbrand, Daven Lannister, Rodrik Cassel, Jon Snow, Jason Mallister, Tytos Blackwood, Black Walder Frey, Theon Greyjoy, Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr, Lem Lemoncloak, Rorge, Biter, Jory Cassel, Godry Farring, Donal Noye, Qorin Halfhand, Tormund Giantsbane, Mance Rayder, Richard Horpe, Asha Greyjoy, Euron Greyjoy, Magnar Styr, Cortnay Penrose, Talbert Serry, Steelshanks, Andar Royce, etc.

Average

Eddard Stark (I refuse to believe that he could beat Arthur Dayne without some kind of trick), Stannis Baratheon, Alliser Thorne, Justin Massey, Meryn Trant, Bonifar Hasty, Jacelyn Bywater, Wendel Manderly, Robin Flint, Dacey Mormont, Alysane Mormont, Harrion Karstark, Wylis Manderly, Rickard Karstark, Harys Swift, Hugh of the Vale, Tyrion Lannister (given that he actually does fight and kill people), Lancel Lannister, Edmure Tully, Stevron Frey, Perwyn Frey, Galbart Glover, Marq Piper, Gendry, Yoren, Clayton Suggs, Ygritte, Aron Santagar, Hobber Redwyne, Jared Frey, Patrek Mallister, Theo Frey, Grenn, etc.

Below Average

Robert Baratheon (he's fat and slow, unable to fight anymore), Boros Blount, Sam Tarly, Benfred Tallhart, etc.

That's all I feel like doing right now.

Dr. Cane and King Floki,

How do average and especially below average fighters get appointed as members of the Kingsguard? I would think they'd have to be in the Exceptional category at the time they're appointed so as not to embarrass the King.

53 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Though not sure if he is better than mountain at fighting. 

After all mountain is the strongest man in the realm. 

Sandor was shown as being a better fighter in AGoT. Jaime is sure that he could defeat Gregor. Oberyn had defeated him but did something fatally stupid. Strength is only one factor in fighting ability.

1 minute ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Sandor was shown as being a better fighter in AGoT. Jaime is sure that he could defeat Gregor. Oberyn had defeated him but did something fatally stupid. Strength is only one factor in fighting ability.

True. Robert strong maybe harder to defeat though. 

2 hours ago, Ser Frasier of House Crane said:

If we’re talking strictly at the start of A Game of Thrones and not people in their primes:

Elite:

Oberyn Martell

Jaime Lannister

Garlan Tyrell

Loras Tyrell

Barristan Selmy

Khal Drogo

Syrio Forel

Exceptional:

Gregor Clegane

Sandor Clegane...

What is the criteria for being and elite fighter. Jaime, Loras, Sandor, and Gregor were the final four in the Hand's Tourney, yet 2 of the four are considered to be non-elite (exceptional is not shabby though). I know that not all the best fighters attended the tourney, nor are all the best fighters exceptionally good with a lance (Garlan, though I bet he can hold his own in the joust).

I do consider Sandor at the very least and probably Gregor too, to be elite. But mayhaps I can be persuaded different. Just because they are not graceful like Oberyn or Syrio, does not mean they are not elite. Killing numerous men in battle is killing numerous men in battle; winning is winning.

Personally, I would rather win and look bad, than lose and look good.

5 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

Ned- Average

Jon Snow- Above average, potentially Exceptional

Where does Mance Rayder fall in this? Exceptional? He trashed Lord Snow in ADoD.

At the beginning of AGoT I do not think Jon Snow was exceptional. He was 14-15? Probably above average.

And I do think that Ned was at least above average. He was 35 in AGOT, nowhere past prime fighting age. He survived numerous battles, leading the vanguard in Robert's Rebellion.

4 hours ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

Well well, here we go:

Elite

Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy, Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane, Garlan Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Oberyn Martell, Victarion Greyjoy

Exceptional

Lyle Crakehall, Greatjon Umber, Guyard Morrigan, Bryce Caron, Philip Foote, Lothor Brune, Lyn Corbray, Bronn, Harras Harlaw, Daemon Sand, Andrik the Unsmiling, Areo Hotah, Balon Swann, Brienne of Tarth, Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully, Rolland Storm, Iron Emmett, Gerold Dayne, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Jorah Mormont

Above Average

Robb Stark, Yohn Royce, Robar Royce, Parmen Crane, Robett Glover, Mandon Moore, Arys Oakheart, Nute the Barber, Tris Botley, Red Ralf Stonehouse, Donnel Swann, Randyll Tarly, Hosteen Frey, Black Walder Frey, Addam Marbrand, Daven Lannister, Rodrik Cassel, Jon Snow, Jason Mallister, Tytos Blackwood, Black Walder Frey, Theon Greyjoy, Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr, Lem Lemoncloak, Rorge, Biter, Jory Cassel, Godry Farring, Donal Noye, Qorin Halfhand, Tormund Giantsbane, Mance Rayder, Richard Horpe, Asha Greyjoy, Euron Greyjoy, Magnar Styr, Cortnay Penrose, Talbert Serry, Steelshanks, Andar Royce, etc.

Average

Eddard Stark (I refuse to believe that he could beat Arthur Dayne without some kind of trick), Stannis Baratheon, Alliser Thorne, Justin Massey, Meryn Trant, Bonifar Hasty, Jacelyn Bywater, Wendel Manderly, Robin Flint, Dacey Mormont, Alysane Mormont, Harrion Karstark, Wylis Manderly, Rickard Karstark, Harys Swift, Hugh of the Vale, Tyrion Lannister (given that he actually does fight and kill people), Lancel Lannister, Edmure Tully, Stevron Frey, Perwyn Frey, Galbart Glover, Marq Piper, Gendry, Yoren, Clayton Suggs, Ygritte, Aron Santagar, Hobber Redwyne, Jared Frey, Patrek Mallister, Theo Frey, Grenn, etc.

Below Average

Robert Baratheon (he's fat and slow, unable to fight anymore), Boros Blount, Sam Tarly, Benfred Tallhart, etc.

That's all I feel like doing right now.

I think Qhorin Halfhand would've beat Jamie, Barristen, and probably even Arthur Dayne without Dawn. If Jaime is on par with Barristen and Arthur, which is a bit of a stretch, and was great right handed but so far is unable to even be truly serviceable with his left, what does that say about the Halfhand who not only regained at least his former ability, but even exceeded that? He was the most feared man on or beyond the Wall, a much harsher environment that would entail more than tourney fighting and organized knightly battle. That says more than elite to me. 

Elite

Areo Hotah, Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, Khal Drogo, Mance Rayder, Oberyn Martell, Sandor Clegane, Syrio Forel.

- Self explanatory, in my opinion. Drogo is arguably pound-for-pound the best fighter in the entire series, but he would likely lose to characters less skilled than he is due to classic Dothraki ignorance.

Exceptional

Andrik the Unsmiling, Archibald Yronwood, Balon Swann, Benjen Stark, Beric Dondarrion, Brienne of Tarth, Bronze Yohn Royce, Brynden Tully, Daario Naharis, Garlen Tyrell, Gerold Dayne, Greatjon Umber, Gregor Clegane, Loras Tyrell, Lyle Crakehall, Lyn Corbray, Mandon Moore, Qhorin Halfhand, Robar Royce, Strong Belwas, Thoros of Myr, Victarion Greyjoy, Waymar Royce.

- All of these guys either have a very impressive CV or Martin went out of his way to tell you they are bad motherfuckers. Gregor just barely misses out on the top tier due to lack of versatility. 

Loras is a prodigy. He'll be higher in a few years if he's healthy.

Above Average

Arys Oakheart, Asha Greyjoy, Bronn, Dacey Mormont, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Daemon Sand, Grey Worm, Jon Connington, Jon Snow, Jorah Mormont, Jory Cassell, Khrazz, Mago, Meryn Trant, Obara Sand, Osmund Kettleblack, Oznak Zo Pahl, Preston Greenfield, Robb Stark, Shagga son of Dolf, Theon Greyjoy, Tormund Giantsbane, Vardis Egen.

- All impressive in their own right, but mince meat to the guys in the top tier.

Doesn't feel right putting Dagmer here. He'd be higher in his youth.

Bronn is likely the most overrated fighter in the series. He's crafty, but you're crazy if you think he could compete with Jaime and he flat out refuses to fight Gregor.

Jon and Robb are borderline choices. Still pretty impressive for two 16 year olds though.

Average

Alliser Thorne, Davos Seaworth, Eddard Stark, Euron Greyjoy, Ramsey Bolton, Stannis Baratheon.

- The guys who are completely overrated, mostly due to the show. I'm not implying these guys flat out suck, but they're definitely more commanders than warriors.

Ned and Stannis were likely competent in their own right and good enough to enter tourny's and such in their youth, the same way Renly still does in Game. However I doubt they would have been serious contenders in such a case.

Below Average

Boros Blount, Jaime Lannister (one hand).

7 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Where does Mance Rayder fall in this? Exceptional? He trashed Lord Snow in ADoD.

At the beginning of AGoT I do not think Jon Snow was exceptional. He was 14-15? Probably above average.

And I do think that Ned was at least above average. He was 35 in AGOT, nowhere past prime fighting age. He survived numerous battles, leading the vanguard in Robert's Rebellion.

I wasn't clear enough. What i meant was that Jon Snow was currently Above Average with potential to become Exceptional fighter.

Also, Ned was Average in comparison to other trained noble fighters

4 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Exceptional

Andrik the Unsmiling, Archibald Yronwood, Balon Swann, Benjen Stark, Beric Dondarrion, Brienne of Tarth, Bronze Yohn Royce, Brynden Tully, Daario Naharis, Garlen Tyrell, Gerold Dayne, Greatjon Umber, Gregor Clegane, Loras Tyrell, Lyle Crakehall, Lyn Corbray, Mandon Moore, Qhorin Halfhand, Robar Royce, Strong Belwas, Thoros of Myr, Victarion Greyjoy, Waymar Royce.

- All of these guys either have a very impressive CV or Martin went out of his way to tell you they are bad motherfuckers. Gregor just barely misses out on the top tier due to lack of versatility. 

You think Waymar Roye was exceptional? Based on what? I'm sure he was well trained, but by your judgment he could have defeated Bronn, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Jon Connington, and not only that, stand toe-to-toe with people like Victarion Greyjoy and Brienne of Tarth. And for that matter, you put Yohn Royce up there too?

I'm sure the Royces are powerful warriors with a long history of such, but putting them up there with Garlan Tyrell seems a bit high for them.

Archived