New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

DS,

Can we go back to better production design?  Does the Enterprise really need to look like a giant brewery?

Budget alone will limit the size of engineering, it'll be a small set and they won't bother CGing a huge backdrop every time there's a scene there. I have a feeling that JJ verse minus budget will look suspiciously like Star Trek, largely as you remember it.

Just now, DaveSumm said:

Budget alone will limit the size of engineering, it'll be a small set and they won't bother CGing a huge backdrop every time there's a scene there. I have a feeling that JJ verse minus budget will look suspiciously like Star Trek, largely as you remember it.

Hopefully, they won't have to slash the lens flare line item in the production budget too much

12 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Except you know the truth, and that is that it wasn't one of the "biggest shows ever made". It just has a large fanbase due to the original series getting heavily syndicated in the 70's which led to the movies and then to TNG.  Star Trek was cancelled after three seasons with low ratings,  TNG had good ratings for a syndicated show but were not even close to a real network show. Deep Space Nine had low ratings and Voyager started off with good ratings but then..... it turned into Voyager. The less said about Enterprise the better.

Given how the last two series ended and how the 2  movies prior to the Abrams one were flops (and garbage to boot) I wonder at the sanity of some people thinking they'd want to go back to the other canon which failed so hard. They are in the business of making money, and in no way would CBS give a massive budget to a failed franchise,

ST:TNG regularly had 10-12 million viewers a week, and topped out at 20 million. The number of Americna TV shows in tht ratings bracket is pretty small. It was a bona fide, massive hit. DS9 regularly got 8-10 million and topped out at somewhere around 15 million, which was pretty good given how under the radar it was for most of its run. Voyager and Enterprise didn't do too badly given their position on much smaller channels, although Enterprise did dive off a cliff towards the end there.

The problem with the movies was that after the success of First Contact they failed to build on it in anyway and instead kept making weird mistakes. I think ultimately that Trek in general and TNG in particular were not well-suited for movies and particularly action movies (DS9 was, but they didn't even want to risk that). However, I think the problem overall was franchise fatigue. At the time Enterprise ended, there had been continuous Trek on the TV screen for 17 years. The well had run dry, people were bored of it and there needed to be a bit of a rest.

The fact of the matter is that the Abrams movies have not been critically well-regarded (particularly Into Darkness), they have made an okay profit but have significantly underperformed compared to where Paramount wanted them to be and they have threatened to alienate the pre-existing fanbase, the ones who were willing to spend significant dollar on the merchandise and everything else. Everyone agrees that Trek needed freshening up and a reboot of sorts to bring in new viewers, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater was perhaps not the best way to go.

It might be interesting to explore some kind of Donnie Darko style tangent universe reintegration.....say, 50 years after the JJ verse and 50 years before this series (it's roughly a century I think), the 29th century time federation people showed up and had to fuse the two universes before they destroyed one another. Maybe there's some odd artifacts from each timeline, maybe some sectors have differing memories, maybe some complex political situations have arisen where two species have incongruous accounts of peace treaties or wars.......I dunno. You could even just vaguely mention this bizarre incident that some of the older admirals remember but nobody fully understands. It'd certainly offer an alternative to pissing off one or other of the fan bases, by simply stamping the issue with a big fat 'sort of'.

JJ Abrams made this show already, it was called Fringe and it was awesome. I'm not sure we need to see it again.

There's no mention of the old one still existing, no mention of alternate timelines existing alongside others in the same way the mirror universe does. Maybe the old timeline just doesn't exist anymore. 

Canonically, I think just about everyone involved has confirmed that the original timeline exists so they can still make money from it :) (through the books and Star Trek Online)

Given the extent of CGI set extensions in everything these days, you'd be surprised.

I always felt the way the JJ trek films were at least made in such a way that the old version still exists (or existed). It already has a built in reset or "let's go back" function thanks to the timey-wimey.

It's not like the Next-gen franchise wasn't having to bend over backwards to explain the cheap effects of the orginal to the point where both shows could have been considered different entities.

The odd thing is that if they decide to make the new show 150+ years in the future (of next gen) then we wouldn't be able to tell one franchise from the other - especially if they don't constantly back reference. Have it after a post borg war, or some other alien thing where a small "dark age" has maybe occurred (explaining why they aren't massively more advanced. It's kind of a shame JMS is busy with Sense8 as him, Fuller and Kurtzman (who was good with Fringe) could be a dream team. Or absolute disaster.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I always felt the way the JJ trek films were at least made in such a way that the old version still exists (or existed). It already has a built in reset or "let's go back" function thanks to the timey-wimey.

It's not like the Next-gen franchise wasn't having to bend over backwards to explain the cheap effects of the orginal to the point where both shows could have been considered different entities.

The odd thing is that if they decide to make the new show 150+ years in the future (of next gen) then we wouldn't be able to tell one franchise from the other - especially if they don't constantly back reference. Have it after a post borg war, or some other alien thing where a small "dark age" has maybe occurred (explaining why they aren't massively more advanced. It's kind of a shame JMS is busy with Sense8 as him, Fuller and Kurtzman (who was good with Fringe) could be a dream team. Or absolute disaster.

I don't think they need to go that far into the future. Trek is always at its best when it's commenting on our present as much as plying with the future.  Set a show a few years, at most, post Dominion War and you've got a lot of story to mine with our world the way it is.  And you can play a GoT/House of Cards/Homeland type of vibe...you placate the old guard by working withing what they know and expect and you cater to the more sophisticated modern television viewer who expects intelligent storytelling. 

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't think they need to go that far into the future. Trek is always at its best when it's commenting on our present as much as plying with the future.  Set a show a few years, at most, post Dominion War and you've got a lot of story to mine with our world the way it is.  And you can play a GoT/House of Cards/Homeland type of vibe...you placate the old guard by working withing what they know and expect and you cater to the more sophisticated modern television viewer who expects intelligent storytelling. 

Also true. That would be within 100 years of where the Trek films currently are, right? They could always have some Galaxy flows in such a way that things always happen eg Dominion would have eventually got through (probably fated what with the prophet angle) and the Borg are the kind of things that will eventually turn up (they could even have a seed of them/signal from a surviving Borg in First contact in the Cochrane era which is shared continuity between both timelines right?)

If people say "what about the vulcans" you can either a) not have them in it or just establsh that cloning and shit is pretty easy in the future. Vulcans shouldn't be much of a problem as it wasn't like they were constantly turning up in DS9.

I would be interested in watching , but the main worry is that Fuller's involvement will have negative impact on American Giods, which is a show I want to see much more. Is it really likely him running this new Trek show will not impact the release date of AG?

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Also true. That would be within 100 years of where the Trek films currently are, right? They could always have some Galaxy flows in such a way that things always happen eg Dominion would have eventually got through (probably fated what with the prophet angle) and the Borg are the kind of things that will eventually turn up (they could even have a seed of them/signal from a surviving Borg in First contact in the Cochrane era which is shared continuity between both timelines right?)

If people say "what about the vulcans" you can either a) not have them in it or just establsh that cloning and shit is pretty easy in the future. Vulcans shouldn't be much of a problem as it wasn't like they were constantly turning up in DS9.

Hahaha...we're you suggesting a story idea for the JJverse?  Heh. I meant the Prime one.

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hahaha...we're you suggesting a story idea for the JJverse?  Heh. I meant the Prime one.

Sort of my point - set it in the future of both interpreations and it could be either.

45 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I would be interested in watching , but the main worry is that Fuller's involvement will have negative impact on American Giods, which is a show I want to see much more. Is it really likely him running this new Trek show will not impact the release date of AG?

I'm hoping Fuller is around on American Gods long enough to set up the look of the show. Once established it should be easy for them to maintain it without his constant involvement.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

As I said back on the first page of the thread, it would surprise me if this has any impact on American Gods. AG has 2 showrunners, Fuller and Michael Green, and it has always been my understanding that Green would handle most of the day-to-day decision making and Fuller would be a bit more "hands off."

7 hours ago, red snow said:

First Contact is an interesting question.  The Borg are a huge mess of retcon.  Did they destroy that colony in the neutral zone that the Enterprise D investigated?  Were they headed to the Alpha Quadrant before Q accelerated contact between them and the Federation?  Would they have initiated time travel to attack Earth if Picard had never be Locutus?

So in the JJVerse, will Picard be captured by the Borg?  Will the Borg technology utilized by the planetary drill lead to more advanced weaponry?  Its certainly a much more militarized Federation.

I'm more interested in where they plan to get some humpback whales to stop the planetary probe of destruction that's on the way.  :lol: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

First Contact is an interesting question.  The Borg are a huge mess of retcon.  Did they destroy that colony in the neutral zone that the Enterprise D investigated?  Were they headed to the Alpha Quadrant before Q accelerated contact between them and the Federation?  Would they have initiated time travel to attack Earth if Picard had never be Locutus?

So in the JJVerse, will Picard be captured by the Borg?  Will the Borg technology utilized by the planetary drill lead to more advanced weaponry?  Its certainly a much more militarized Federation.

I'm more interested in where they plan to get some humpback whales to stop the planetary probe of destruction that's on the way.  :lol: 

I forgot about the humpback whales!

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The problem with the JJverse is  that it doesn't actually work as a proper alternate timeline ultimately.  

Why not?

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious as to what about it you think doesn't make it an alternate timeline.

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As always, Star Trek Nerds have this covered:

Theories and such...

Good to know.

Still think Spock needed to at least fill them in with broad strokes on a few of the major Galaxy threatening things out there... You're gonna need whales.  Watch out for 20th century space junk returning that may or may not have been Borg engineered.  There's a gateway that will take you back in time, but don't let McCoy get drunk and stumble in. 

That sort of stuff.

Archived