New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

12 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

IMO this is absolutely incorrect, as the "DS9 Relaunch", as the series of 25 or so novels is called (you can Wiki it here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_relaunch) simply negates this statement.  There are all kinds of excellent follow up stories which carry the DS9 story forwards, some stronger than others, but overall quite well done.  Andrew Robinson's novel regarding Garak's background is pretty cerebral and different, but thoroughly enjoyable, as are all the rest of the books.

I think he meant there was no canon media. Also:

Spoiler

The new DS9 looks hideous. Blowing up the old station and replacing it with this new, sparkling, Apple-influenced one was not one of the book range's better ideas.

I agree Robinson's novel is superb, but that was rather a different and special case.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

That's a really good list, as is his list for DS9. Although I like the fact that with DS9 he basically says fuck it and watch the whole show. The episodes he ranks make up almost 65% of the show's run anyway (whilst TNG is considerably less).

Yeah, I think I'd just do the whole of DS9 on a rewatch, not bother at all with Voyager and maybe, just maybe watch season 2 on of Enterprise because I've never seen them.

All the chat on the forum has got me interested in doing next gen although I was surprised to find neither netflix or amazon have them streaming in the UK (and I'm almost certain they used to). I guess CBS will be pulling them for their own site soon.

I think they're renegotiating the UK access to TNG in light of the show now being available in HD (and I urge everyone to watch the new HD editions of the series, they are jaw-droppingly amazing).

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think they're renegotiating the UK access to TNG in light of the show now being available in HD (and I urge everyone to watch the new HD editions of the series, they are jaw-droppingly amazing).

Maybe I should hold on a few weeks and hope amazon/netflix get those versions? I'm sure the original run looks a bit dated now.

It's odd. Amazon did have the HD versions a few months ago and I think Sky has been showing them in HD as well, so I'll assume they'll show back up at some point.

And yes, do not watch the original SD versions. They are quite appalling now. DS9 you haven't got a choice, but at least the SD transfer was a lot better on DVD (it was made a few years later) and especially upscaled it's quite passable.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, SerHaHa said:

The only fault I can find with Max Tempkin's excellent review/info page on DS9 is the following -

IMO this is absolutely incorrect, as the "DS9 Relaunch", as the series of 25 or so novels is called (you can Wiki it here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_relaunch) simply negates this statement.  There are all kinds of excellent follow up stories which carry the DS9 story forwards, some stronger than others, but overall quite well done.  Andrew Robinson's novel regarding Garak's background is pretty cerebral and different, but thoroughly enjoyable, as are all the rest of the books.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:41 AM, Werthead said:

I think he meant there was no canon media. Also:

Hide contents

The new DS9 looks hideous. Blowing up the old station and replacing it with this new, sparkling, Apple-influenced one was not one of the book range's better ideas.

I still think the post-Nemisis/post shows follow ups through the (albeit) non-canon literary arm is the best version of things out there and would still like to see CBS use them as the template for the new series. 

I get what you are saying in your spoiler there, Wert, but in terms of the books, they seem to have been at an impasse on what to do with the Station otherwise...

Tony Todd is on a casting shortlist for the new Star Trek show.

Interesting. He played Kurn (Worf's brother) in 3 eps of TNG and 1 of DS9, and also played future Jake on DS9's The Visitor and the Alpha Hirogen on Voyager. So it doesn't really suggest one way or another if the show will be set in the primary timeline or not.

On 2/21/2016 at 5:44 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I started watching Enterprise again. I'm five episodes in and I'm not quite sure how it holds up.  

I recently rewatched seasons 3 and 4 and thought they held up fine. Never did like the early episodes that much.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I recently rewatched seasons 3 and 4 and thought they held up fine. Never did like the early episodes that much.

I just never could get over "Faith of the Heart."

Never set the tone for me the way any of the other themes did.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I just never could get over "Faith of the Heart."

Never set the tone for me the way any of the other themes did.

I got used to it, eventually. My bigger issue was with the unevenness of the cast and the blandness of a lot of those early storylines. The whole concept of humanity's first foray into deep space felt like a huge missed opportunity, and for me at least the show only managed to show real promise once they moved it into Season 3's long-form storyline.

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I got used to it, eventually. My bigger issue was with the unevenness of the cast and the blandness of a lot of those early storylines. The whole concept of humanity's first foray into deep space felt like a huge missed opportunity, and for me at least the show only managed to show real promise once they moved it into Season 3's long-form storyline.

This. I never really felt that anyone in the cast was anything more than just "okay". These days we're used to such a high standard of acting on TV that it's almost embarrassing in retrospect. It was also - for lack of a better way to put it - much too white and much too American. 

41 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

This. I never really felt that anyone in the cast was anything more than just "okay". These days we're used to such a high standard of acting on TV that it's almost embarrassing in retrospect. It was also - for lack of a better way to put it - much too white and much too American. 

But they had Mayweather! Sure, he never got anything to do and barely got any lines, but he was there, damn it!

I really doubt the show holds up well, even at its best. It ran at about the same time as the BSG remake, and as flawed as that series ultimately turned out, the difference in quality is night and day. The culmination of the Xindi arc was basically as good as it got for Enterprise, and they immediately took a left turn at the end of that and gave us literal alien Nazis. Not even any heavy-handed classic Star Trek analogy, nope, just a guy in a alien makeup wearing an SS uniform.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:44 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I started watching Enterprise again. I'm five episodes in and I'm not quite sure how it holds up.  

To me.... this was the most frustrating of all the series.... it could have/should have been amazing.... seeing how the Federation formed.... but then Nazi Aliens...ugh

On 2/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I don't give a damn about the streaming thing, I watch basically everything online anyway, and if they are pulling shit like this, I have no moral qualms using "other methods" to watch it should it turn out to be worth a damn, and that is a big if as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. The method of broadcasting of the show won't really sway me on whether I watch or not.

The TNG fanboy in me really would just like another fucking season of TNG set on Enterprise-D. But even though that would be the singular best move in the history of CBS, that's not going to happen no matter how hard Seth MacFarlane and I would like it to.

Setting it in the Abramsverse though, that could actually be interesting. Basically it'd be a TOS era show with modern CGI, so there is potential for some really cool stories that meld the two universes together. Maybe even give us a dimensional crossover like they're doing pretty damn well over on S2 of The Flash. I mean, what's the point of doing any sort of new Star Trek series if you eliminate the possibility of guest stars from DS9 & TNG? 

I think most people would be cool with the streaming if it was on a pre-existing platform. It's not though and all those monthly subscriptions add up. Fingers crossed the UK will have it on netflix/prime as I doubt they have much interest in setting up CBS in the UK. Although it's more likely to be amazon or sky then as it's relatively easy for netflix users to watch content in other domains.

In terms of multidimensional stories - that would certainly be up the writers of "fringe" street. Maybe that could even be a way of finding a middle ground with crossovers into parallel futures of the next gen world.

in terms of guest stars without time travel (and Patrick Stewart who seems to be ageless) it would be hard not to address the fact characters are 15+ years older. At this point it really is gen3 star trek in the original world and part of me would watch something where Crusher, Nog, etc are the new guard. They could have the Doctor from Voyager in it as he was the best thing in that show.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Tony Todd is on a casting shortlist for the new Star Trek show.

Interesting. He played Kurn (Worf's brother) in 3 eps of TNG and 1 of DS9, and also played future Jake on DS9's The Visitor and the Alpha Hirogen on Voyager. So it doesn't really suggest one way or another if the show will be set in the primary timeline or not.

I had an interesting thought of doing an alternate timeline where it was Kurn, not Worf who was at Khitomer and ended up being taken by a human family. The show could take place later than where we see Worf, in TNG and DS9. Doing something similar, but putting a different spin on the journey that Worf went on. Really, I just want this series to be all about Klingons, because they are way more fun.

Archived