New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

49 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Doesn't that contradict the season 4 of Enterprise? I thought the augments were created by Dr. Singh.

Actually, that was a good bit from Season 4 trying to tie into and work around various Trek inconsistencies from the 60s to the 90s.  Not perfect, but a valiant attempt to explain TOS Klingons...

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Khan and the other genetically enhanced humans had their day in the 20th century, fleeing earth in a pre-warp sleepwr ship in 1994(!)

I feel we've failed as a species for not living up to the Star Trek timeline. Maybe they were sent out on the sly without us knowing?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I feel we've failed as a species for not living up to the Star Trek timeline.

Given that we'd be 10 years away from the start of WW3 in the Star Trek, I think I'm mostly OK with this divergence. I like space travel but maybe not enough to live through a nuclear holocaust to get it.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Khan and the other genetically enhanced humans had their day in the 20th century, fleeing earth in a pre-warp sleepwr ship in 1994(!)

Read the Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox. It's two volumes and really fleshes out his story and some side characters from TOS and a few of the films show up.  

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Given that we'd be 10 years away from the start of WW3 in the Star Trek, I think I'm mostly OK with this divergence. I like space travel but maybe not enough to live through a nuclear holocaust to get it.

I'd like to think we could manage space travel a little bit quicker without a nuclear holocaust. I don't want to wait until 2063.

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Read the Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox. It's two volumes and really fleshes out his story and some side characters from TOS and a few of the films show up.  

It is also a valiant attempt to explain away Trek's timeline passing by what was supposed to happen with actual history...

5 seconds excited....

then... the memories start flooding in.... and I recall how:

new trek is butt

and even the old trek on TV was boring as balls.

easy to forget that, because.... STar Trek!!!!

but then, "oh yeah, that's the same franchise that made me hate myself for watching Voyager, and taught me the meaning of dull with The NExt Generation.

and then Enterprise, which I'd try to catch the time war episodes but it never was one of those.

DS9 forever, or at least for most of the time.   But that was slow too, truthfully, just with some redeeming qualities.

conclusion:   SPaceBalls is the way to go, not Trek.

47 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It is also a valiant attempt to explain away Trek's timeline passing by what was supposed to happen with actual history...

Some of that stuff is weird for me but I deal with it. Like every time I watch "The Voyage Home " and they mention Leningrad. 

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

Maybe folk will look back and say we were in World War III? Just need some North American skirmishes. Maybe Trump can help?

6 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I'd like to think we could manage space travel a little bit quicker without a nuclear holocaust. I don't want to wait until 2063.

People called Cohrane need to start naming their children Zefram in 2030 just to help things along.

I'm sure Neal Stephenson would argue are lack of comparison with Star Trek is due to the internet and google being a brain drain for talent. That and insurance.

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I don't care how brain drained we are, if some guy can build a warp drive using a nuclear missile while living in a shack in Montana we better have warp drive soon.

They have no excuse. Future fictional history is on their side. And the Borg are coming.

Kind of relevant:

http://www.space.com/32633-32629-star-trek-axanar-copyright-suit.html?utm_content=buffer6c1bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer%26cmpid%3D514648

Production on a "Star Trek" fan film is stalled pending the result of a copyright lawsuit from CBS and Paramount.

"Axanar," which was slated to be released later this year, would have continued the story of Garth of izar, a character from the original series of "Star Trek." Its cast includes big-name science-fiction actors such as Richard Hatch ("Battlestar: Galactica") and Gary Graham ("Star Trek: Enterprise").The production raised more than $600,000 in its latest crowdfunding campaign and, according to its Indiegogo fundraising site, aimed to be the "the first fully professional, independent 'Star Trek' film" that includes participation from many "Star Trek" veterans both in front of and behind the camera. In December, however, CBS and Paramount filed suit in California, alleging the production violates several "Star Trek" copyrights, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

15 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Some of that stuff is weird for me but I deal with it. Like every time I watch "The Voyage Home " and they mention Leningrad. 

Exactly.  There's times when you gotta roll with it.  I mean, I get they sorta tried to explain why ships in the time of Archer and the Enterprise looked more advanced than Kirk's time, but really, it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Hopefully Bryan Fuller's curse doesnt follow this show if its another hit

Well, he always did ok with Star Trek so it's maybe the safest place for him to be? Plus, Hannibal did well at 3 seasons and, even though I'm a big fan, I can see why season 3 was the last as the show made no attempt to attract/keep viewers. Which I actually admire when they make the show they want and screw the consequences.

I suspect CBS may try and rein that side of him in but given he's not the sole creator involved it should be a balance of talent.

47 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Exactly.  There's times when you gotta roll with it.  I mean, I get they sorta tried to explain why ships in the time of Archer and the Enterprise looked more advanced than Kirk's time, but really, it is what it is. 

Yeah. my mind just lets it go by in reality. There are so many shows that do that. But f they ccould predict the future that well they wouldn't just be writing fiction!

2 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Kind of relevant:

http://www.space.com/32633-32629-star-trek-axanar-copyright-suit.html?utm_content=buffer6c1bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer%26cmpid%3D514648

Production on a "Star Trek" fan film is stalled pending the result of a copyright lawsuit from CBS and Paramount.

"Axanar," which was slated to be released later this year, would have continued the story of Garth of izar, a character from the original series of "Star Trek." Its cast includes big-name science-fiction actors such as Richard Hatch ("Battlestar: Galactica") and Gary Graham ("Star Trek: Enterprise").The production raised more than $600,000 in its latest crowdfunding campaign and, according to its Indiegogo fundraising site, aimed to be the "the first fully professional, independent 'Star Trek' film" that includes participation from many "Star Trek" veterans both in front of and behind the camera. In December, however, CBS and Paramount filed suit in California, alleging the production violates several "Star Trek" copyrights, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Anytime I saw something come up about that show, I always wondered how the hell they thought they'd get anything together without a copyright infringement.

16 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think they get away with it in The Voyage Home since it's set in the 80s. Setting the film during what was then the present day probably made it easier to avoid anachronisms.

Anytime I saw something come up about that show, I always wondered how the hell they thought they'd get anything together without a copyright infringement.

It does seem weird. Maybe they thought at the time that the franchise was focusing on films so wouldn't care so much, but there's no way CBS are going to allow an unofficial TV series to compete with their own new series.

Just now, williamjm said:

It does seem weird. Maybe they thought at the time that the franchise was focusing on films so wouldn't care so much, but there's no way CBS are going to allow an unofficial TV series to compete with their own new series.

I think that's more likely the case. It's neither the first or the only fan project around.

20 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

I think that's more likely the case. It's neither the first or the only fan project around.

Its not, but its probably one of the most ambitious I have seen.  Actual Star Trek connected actors/producers and such.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I agree it seems madness that they wouldn't get done for this irrespective of who was involved. I like star trek but still have no issue with CBS stamping down on it.

Archived