New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

there's no way CBS are going to allow an unofficial TV series to compete with their own new series.

They're not stomping on Star Trek Continues (currently fundraising on Indiegogo) or Renegades (which has more actual Star Trek actors involved than most official episodes!) - the issue with Axanar is all about the producers making money off it.

I wish CBS would do what Disney are doing, just milk the shit out of it. Make Renegades, Continues, just keep churning out stuff. Surely Trek is up there with Marvel and Star Wars that it's reached critical mass to survive that treatment. We didn't realise how good we had it in the 90's where a series being 3 years away from ending meant that another must immediately be made to run alongside it. 

I don't think Star Trek is anywhere near Marvel or Star Wars levels of popularity. Maybe I'm wrong but Star Wars and Marvel seem way more mainstream somehow. 

In terms of quality also I feel like Star Trek lags behind. If we're being honest with ourselves I'd say at least half the movies/episodes of Star Trek are pretty shitty. The new movie is probably awful. It comes out in three months and they don't seem to be promoting it at all. "Let's hire the Fast and Furious guy for the new Trek movie" would have seemed like a bad joke a few years ago. 

If they did go the shared universe route it could be great. Especially if they actually properly integrated the film and TV parts instead of going the Marvel/Star Wars route where the TV properties don't outright conflict with the films, but aren't allowed to add anything either.  

There is a problem that right now, Star Trek's gone a long time without a hit. The last time it was really good on a reliable level was when DS9 finished in 1999. Enterprise had good moments but it was far too patchy. The last hands-down classic Trek movie that everyone enjoyed (well apart from a few holdouts like me) was First Contact, released in 1996 or twenty years ago now. The 2009 Star Trek reboot move was reasonably enjoyed by people as middling popcorn movie but no more than that, and Into Darkness was terrible.

So yeah, Trek needs to get back to having some quality episodes and films produced to start getting back up to Marvel or Star Wars levels of popularity. It was there before, probably in the 1980s when the films got reliably good again and then went up a notch in the latter half of TNG, so around 1990-94, but it's been in decline since then. It needs re-energising.

23 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Do any of you guys think that any people who previously weren't into Trek before the new films will give this a shot?

No reason why not. They do seem to have picked a point in the story where there is very little pre-existing information, so they can do what they want with it. You shouldn't need any pre-existing information at all.

On 21 April 2016 at 0:09 AM, RumHam said:

I don't think Star Trek is anywhere near Marvel or Star Wars levels of popularity. Maybe I'm wrong but Star Wars and Marvel seem way more mainstream somehow. 

Yea, now......because they milked the shit out of them. In 2007, Marvel only had X-Men and Spider-Man as well known franchises, and Star Wars had the dreadful prequels. I guess Star Trek is first and foremost a television series, so the medium is inherently less mainstream. But imagine Disney running Star Trek.....series, films, every last drop being squeezed out of a giant televisual and cinematic universe. Imagine it was as time consuming keeping up with Star Trek as it was the MCU. I hear what Wert's saying, it needs a solid hit I guess. And however great (or not) this series is, I can't picture a streaming-only CBS series really making waves.

Yeah in the early to mid 90's it was all about Trek.

TNG, DS9, hype for Voyager before it premiered and a new movie every few years. Trek was everywhere and it was mostly all good. Star Wars was relegated to "What's that?" by a lot of the youngest fans at the time. Of course there were exceptions, but I remember knowing kids who had never seen Star Wars and if they had heard of it thought it was a lame old movie.

I remember reading in TV Guide they actually complained because within a couple of weeks 2 shows, I think they were Friends and NewsRadio, both had Star Wars references. The complaint was something like "That's a 15 year old movie! Who cares about Star Wars now?"

And comic book movies except for Batman were non-existent. Well there were some Marvel movies, Dolph Lundgren's The Punisher, Matt Salinger's Captain America (that wasn't released in theaters in the U.S. but was straight to video) and Roger Corman's Fantastic Four which wasn't even released on official video let alone in theaters.

So yeah, at that time Trek was king.

But in the present time I'd agree Trek has taken a back seat to Marvel and Star Wars.

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Yeah in the early to mid 90's it was all about Trek.

TNG, DS9, hype for Voyager before it premiered and a new movie every few years. Trek was everywhere and it was mostly all good. Star Wars was relegated to "What's that?" by a lot of the youngest fans at the time. Of course there were exceptions, but I remember knowing kids who had never seen Star Wars and if they had heard of it thought it was a lame old movie.

Huh, that is not how I remember it. I remember waiting on long lines to get tickets to the special edition re-releases. And then later an insane amount of Hype for the first prequel movie. I feel like Star Wars is always going be more appealing to the youngest fans than Star Trek. 

38 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Huh, that is not how I remember it. I remember waiting on long lines to get tickets to the special edition re-releases. And then later an insane amount of Hype for the first prequel movie. I feel like Star Wars is always going be more appealing to the youngest fans than Star Trek. 

Yes that's how I remember it too once the special edition re-releases came out and sparked a resurgence in Star Wars. I'm talking about early 90's up to maybe 1995. I remember going to cons and having Star Wars panels and there being almost no one there. I remember kids around that didn't care for Star Wars because they just didn't want to bother with watching it.

There were those that liked it, new fans as well as the original fans I just remember them not being so prominent at that time. Trek was everywhere in the media Star Wars was a little bit forgotten, only when something special came out people remembered "Oh yeah, I love that!" like when the Timothy Zahn books came out or the remastered SW trilogy on VHS, interest in the fan base flared up again and showed it was still strong and still around but I also remember it dying down again pretty quickly. I really remember it as a subdued time in Star Wars fandom while Trekdom was going at warp 10.

But in 1997 when the special editions came out and we knew the first prequel was coming it got crazy popular again and it never really died down since.

On 21 April 2016 at 9:36 PM, felice said:

They're not stomping on Star Trek Continues (currently fundraising on Indiegogo) or Renegades (which has more actual Star Trek actors involved than most official episodes!) - the issue with Axanar is all about the producers making money off it.

Has anyone watched Renegades, is it any good? I'm debating whether to watch it, given patchy reviews and the fact that an official series could easily come along and declare it non-canon and write their own 'official' version of the same period.

13 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Has anyone watched Renegades, is it any good? I'm debating whether to watch it, given patchy reviews and the fact that an official series could easily come along and declare it non-canon and write their own 'official' version of the same period.

I don't even think anyone has to declare a fan series non-canon. 

11 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Has anyone watched Renegades, is it any good?

I prefer it to the JJ movies. It's certainly not flawless, but it is pretty impressive for a fan film. If you're in the mood for some Star Trek, by all means give it a go. Give it a few minutes and if you're not enjoying, rewatch one of your favourite TNG episodes instead.

Well, this is kinda cool:

Star Trek TV series to begin filming in Toronto this fall, CBS confirms
New show to make its debut in January 2017

Heads up, Trekkies — filming for the new Star Trek television series is slated for Toronto, where local fans hope it will live long and prosper. 

Rumours of new Star Trek show filming in Toronto thrills local fans
The news about the new television series was confirmed by CBS Television Studios on Twitter. The show will begin filming in the city sometime this fall.

I look forward to multiple minor characters played by Orphan Black actors. 

7 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I look forward to multiple minor characters played by Orphan Black actors. 

Or multiple minor characters played by one Orphan Black actor? ;)

14 hours ago, felice said:

Or multiple minor characters played by one Orphan Black actor? ;)

Maslany can just play the whole cast.

I've seen Colm in Calgary (Hell on Wheels shot at a nearby location) a couple times over the years, once at the airport.  I remember Under Siege and how odd I felt as well - hey, it's O'Brien from transporter room 3 on the Enterprise, wth?!  He actually had some funny lines in that film. 

I never really took to the Bashir character in DS9 all that much until they introduced the Chief/Bashir bromance.  I really like him after that, and if you search this forum you'll see that when the thread started about casting Oberyn Martell, (back when I surfed north of this sub forum), I loudly proclaimed that Alexander Siddig would be perfect for that role, as I really came to like his performances, especially post DS9 with his film work.  Syriana being a prime example.  Anyhow he got another Martel role, but I was happy to have my prediction/wish come semi-true at least. 

I'm very happy that both Sidig and Meaney went on to great success post DS9.  I wish Nana Visitor had a similar post DS9 career, IMO she's fantastic.

Archived