New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I see the hand wringing over CBS All Access and I understand it...

But is it really any different than Paramount using Voyager to launch UPN?  My cable provider didn't carry UPN and the demand of Star Trek fans was one of the factors forcing the cable company to pay to add the channel to a package.

I believe it was in a tier I already had, but I'm sure some Trek fans had to shell out for a more expensive package with dozens of channels they would never watch.

I readily admit that I live in the Stone Age and do not have a Netflix or Hulu subscription, so can anyone explain to me how today's situation is appreciably different from the one nearly two decades ago?

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I think it boils down to the other options have tons of additional material. So far it seems the CBS site will have Star Trek.

Otherwise I guess it's the sheer density of such platforms being available now and people not wanting to pay for another one.

How did people react to the launch of Voyager? Maybe it was disliked in a similar fashion?

In my market (D.C./Baltimore) independent UHF stations became UPN affiliates, usually the stations all ready showing TNG and DS9 (and B5 for that matter). So even if your cable provider didn't offer the channel you could just tune your TV to an antenna (depending on location/signal strength usually rabbit ears would do) and get the network.

I think that's how it was in most of the country for Voyager/UPN though. Granted my market was a high population area and got most programs/networks offered, like we got FOX in both D.C. and Baltimore stations the night it went on air and same with UPN and the WB but I still think most got Voyager unless you were really out in the sticks.

I also remember Voyager being highly anticipated and no complaints about it being on a new network. Only after it began airing people got "meh" about it.

30 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Morally I don't see the difference between pirating it weekly and waiting till it's all out and doing the free trial. They're not getting my money either way, not for one show. 

Yeah this is exactly it. I can't think of a single CBS show I've watched ...maybe ever. I'm sure there must be one I'm forgetting, but browsing the list I don't see any.

Edit: Ok I found a few from years ago. Rescue 911, Due South, and Nash Bridges. 

Person of Interest (which just began it's final season this week) and Limitless (which just wrapped up its first season last week) are both on CBS and both two of the best shows on television right now. They are easily the two best shows on broadcast TV right now, although admittedly that is a very low bar.

Person of Interest is criminally underrated as a SFF show, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Person of Interest (which just began it's final season this week) and Limitless (which just wrapped up its first season last week) are both on CBS and both two of the best shows on television right now. They are easily the two best shows on broadcast TV right now, although admittedly that is a very low bar.

Person of Interest is criminally underrated as a SFF show, in my opinion.

I have heard good things about Person of Interest, and Micheal Emerson was great on lost. It just didn't appeal to me initially because it seemed like one of those procedural shows. I'll check that out, it seems to be on Netflix at least for now. 

I never saw the Limitless movie, maybe I'll try that too and go from there. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I have heard good things about Person of Interest, and Micheal Emerson was great on lost. It just didn't appeal to me initially because it seemed like one of those procedural shows. I'll check that out, it seems to be on Netflix at least for now. 

I never saw the Limitless movie, maybe I'll try that too and go from there. 

If you start watching Person of Interest on Netflix, you really need to give it until the second season before it gets really good. The first season is sort of a take off of the procedural format, but it slowly breaks from that and does a lot of cool stuff with the characters. It was almost like the showrunners had to pitch it as a procedural to get it on in the first place, but they moved away from that little by little.

I never saw the Limitless movie either, but based on what I saw of the first season; I don't think it is a continuation or anything. 

24 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I originally gave up on it during its first season, but went back later and as MisterOJ says, it does pick up and becomes a pretty good show, though I'm not as in love with it as others around here.

8 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

I never saw the Limitless movie either, but based on what I saw of the first season; I don't think it is a continuation or anything. 

The series is more spin off than continuation. There's a little something there for people who watched the movie but isn't necessary to follow the program. IMHO, I watched the movie and really liked it and think it's worth watching.

I think if they got Robert DeNiro to do a cameo not only would it be a real coup for the show but also tie into the movie more yet at the same time it would still work well within the current plot arc and still not necessarily have the movie need to seen to follow what's going on only those that had would continue to get a little bit more out of the show for having done so.

Sorry for thread drift.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

The TV series is a semi-sequel, the movie's protagonist (Edward Morra) is a key character in the background of the show but he only occasionally appears on-screen in the TV show (probably depending on when Bradley Cooper has free time in his schedule). I don't think it would be necessary to watch the film before the series, although I think the film is worth watching anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Trailer people.

Well, more of a logo reveal because they don't start shooting for 3-4 months. But the "NEW CREWS" bit strongly suggests that the anthology rumour is on the money.

I like the idea of changing up the crews to keep it fresh but we're not going to see as much character growth.  

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Trailer people.

Well, more of a logo reveal because they don't start shooting for 3-4 months. But the "NEW CREWS" bit strongly suggests that the anthology rumour is on the money.

It would suggest old school anthology eg outer limits rather than the current trend of "one season on one story another season on a completely different one".

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of them actually imitiating GoT (makes sense based on ratings) and having one large story but with segments that almost appear unrelated. You could have a ship out in uncharted space (beyond the wall), a ship(s) out in hostile (klingon) territory (Dothraki/Dany) and a space station dealing with Federation politics (King's landing). Tie them together with an overall theme and you get the best of all worlds.

I'm using the GoT as an anaology - I don't want GoT literally in space. The problem with anthologies is it provides jumping off points as much as jumping on. HAving a unified show but with a mixture of settings/approaches while trickier to pull off is much more rewarding for loyal viewers and tends to command loyalty from casual ones. Plus it would make the binge watching even more compelling - something CBS must be taking into account with the streaming service. An anthology binge would usually only consist of the segments you enjoyed whereas non-antholgogy means you watch the whole damn season again because even that shit episode had that one cool moment that's essential for the season arc.

I like the idea of changing up the crews to keep it fresh but we're not going to see as much character growth.  

I dunno. We'll probably see more character growth in 13 episodes than we saw on Voyager in 178 :)

But yeah, definitely not as much as on TNG or DS9.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I dunno. We'll probably see more character growth in 13 episodes than we saw on Voyager in 178 :)

But yeah, definitely not as much as on TNG or DS9.

Yeah Voyager was terrible. If I was asked to name the cast of TNG or DS9 I'm confident I'd know them all even and descibe their characters/arcs. With Voyager I'd have trouble getting them all and half the ones I go get would be because I couldn't stand them (Neelix). Some of them commit an even greater offense of simply blending into the background.

I still think it's strange to promote it as "new crews" if we only see one of them in the first season though. I guess this is the type of show that will get a second season even if it sucks though.

Hahaha.

Well, the new Star Trek captain (assuming there is one) hasn't been cast yet. And if you're looking for a forty-something leading man who has experience of commanding a starship...

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hahaha.

Well, the new Star Trek captain (assuming there is one) hasn't been cast yet. And if you're looking for a forty-something leading man who has experience of commanding a starship...

Not the most imaginative casting choice but it would be safe. Although wouldn't the browncoats take extra insult him being so close to being back in a spaceship?

I'm hoping Gillian Anderson isn't too busy and that Bryan Fuller remembers how great she is. She'd make an intersting captain (or alien or piece of furniture - she's that good). Then again, I'd happily see the entire cast of Hannibal reused in Trek.

Playing the "producers often like to work with actors from previous projects game" there are several members of "fringe" I would happily watch in a Trek show eg Lance Reddick and John Noble.

Given it's supposed to air in January 2017 they must start filming fairly soon? Maybe they are going for a big casting announcement - if the anthology rumour does turn out to be true they may have some big names attached who can find time out of their schedule for a single season.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I've got nothing against Nathan Fillion, but I'm reminded of how safe Scott Bakula seemed cos he was a familiar sci-fi face, and I really didn't rate him as a captain. I'd be quite content with an unknown for this.

maybe not unknown but unknown as captain of a spaceship. Picard and Sisko benefitted from great actors new to the genre though (eg no baggage)

Ha. Bryan Fuller himself has said that his two preferred choices would be Angela Bassett and Rosario Dawson, both of which would be good. Bassett ruled herself out because of American Horror Story: she could do another series as well, but not whilst she's raising twins. Dawson is doing the Netflix Marvel shows, but isn't a regular in any of them. A coule of sites have suggested Allison Tolman and Patrick Wilson (I'm assuming they recently binged on Fargo's first two seasons). A few other sites have suggested Gina Torres (who might actually be a better Firefly choice) or Ken Watanabe, who'd be pretty damn awesome.

What has been entertaining are casting suggestions from people who don't seem to know their Trek history. "You know who'd be good? Michelle Forbes! Yeah, Michelle Forbes on Star Trek, can you imagine that?" :D

Archived