New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

Looks like the previous thread we had on this was purged. So anyway, CBS are making a new Star Trek series. For some reason they are only showing the first episode on CBS itself, the rest will air exclusively on CBS's reportedly crap (and expensive) digital platform. Alex Kurtzman, a co-writer and co-producer on the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, is producing the new show and may write for it.

Today's development is that Bryan Fuller (Heroes, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Hannibal) has been selected as producer and showrunner. Fuller started his writing career with two scripts for Deep Space Nine in 1997 before moving onto Voyager as writer and producer for the latter half of its run.

Fuller had previously indiciated he'd had two ideas for a new series, both set in the Abramsverse. The first was simply rebooting The Next Generation in the Abramsverse (urgh) and the second was following the adventures of another crew and ship, possibly the USS Reliant (now no longer doomed to meet Khan and be destroyed, given the events of Into Darkness). I suspect something like the latter scenario will be more likely. Sadly, a return to the Prime Universe appears unlikely, with Fuller reportedly disliking the turn it took towards its end (although he does continue to cite DS9 as his favourite series overall).

What this means for American Gods, which Fuller was supposed to be showrunning as well and enters production in a few weeks, is unknown.

Man, fuck that. Why the fuck would I want to watch the fucking Abramsverse bullshit? Simply by doing that you have alienated a good portion of the original fandom who I think would make up a large portion of the audience for this show. I'd much rather see something in the Star Trek Prime universe than have to look at the boring Abramsverse. I want to see where they take the original universe, build on those stories, not just bend the original canon over a barrel under the guise of an alternate timeline like Abrams did.

21 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, fuck that. Why the fuck would I want to watch the fucking Abramsverse bullshit? Simply by doing that you have alienated a good portion of the original fandom who I think would make up a large portion of the audience for this show. I'd much rather see something in the Star Trek Prime universe than have to look at the boring Abramsverse. I want to see where they take the original universe, build on those stories, not just bend the original canon over a barrel under the guise of an alternate timeline like Abrams did.

Same.  I have zero desire to watch anything in that timeline.

Makes no difference. Which universe it's set in will be an incidental fact that never comes up, I say get over it and enjoy it. Unless it's the TNG idea, which I agree is pointless. 

ETA: was Empok Nor the one where O'Brian says "No, I'm not a soldier......I'm an engineer."? That was an awesome episode.

EATA: I should probably clarify that that was one of the two DS9 episodes he wrote.

Slightly worried that Fuller seems to jump around a lot at times (I remember he seemed to be on and off "heroes" constantly) when it's not his pet project. It does seem like he's just getting "american gods" up and running and hopefully is establishing a style over there. It could well be this is a dream project for him given his history with the show and he simply couldn't pass up on it which is probably a good thing for Star Trek.

The weird thing is it's hard to imagine his visual style gelling with Star Trek at all. So maybe he's just bringing his writing along to this one? That would make sense if the new show is set in the reboot world as the visual style is already set.

For those who hate the new star trek, surely some hope can be gleaned from the fact Fuller loves DS9? I think he'd try his best to merge the two properties.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Booooo..... is there anyone out there who is exicited about a TV show in the JJverse?

Fans of the films? Probably not so popular around here though.

It's a tricky one, as I guess the old shows stopped being successful - although I got the impression that was more due to the abandonment of the the next gen setting (Voyager half-way dropped that setting by being in an unrecognisable part of the galaxy). But there was a lot of love for DS9 and Next gen.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

What this means for American Gods, which Fuller was supposed to be showrunning as well and enters production in a few weeks, is unknown.

I can't imagine it would mean anything for American Gods. Fuller is the co-showrunner for that, along with a guy named Michael Green, and my understanding has always been that Fuller would be the more "hands off" of the two, giving him plenty of time for other projects.

So if they did go with the crew of the Reliant in the JJ Verse... would Anton Yelchin play Chekov?

But yeah; I wouldn't watch more because of the streaming service than because of the universe.  I do think there would be more call to just set it 50-60 years after the end of Voyager and have at it though.  Heck, you could probably do that, put it in the JJ Verse and just not tell anyone and it'd be very hard to know the difference.  Time is a river, pebbles make ripples that eventually wash out, blah blah blah.  (Although the destruction of Vulcan would admittedly be a pretty big ripple.)

9 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Ditto. 

And fuck CBS and their digital streaming bullshit while we're at it too. 

I'd rather it be set in the original timeline, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. The problem with the last two movies wasn't the timeline shenanigans, it was the writing and Abrams basically using them as an audition for Star Wars. 

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Booooo..... is there anyone out there who is exicited about a TV show in the JJverse?

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Fans of the films? Probably not so popular around here though.

It's a tricky one, as I guess the old shows stopped being successful - although I got the impression that was more due to the abandonment of the the next gen setting (Voyager half-way dropped that setting by being in an unrecognisable part of the galaxy). But there was a lot of love for DS9 and Next gen.

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I didn't plan on watching anyhow because of the fact that you have to subscribe to a shitty streaming service to do so. But I sure as fuck won't watch if it isn't in the original time line. 

CBS had pretty much lost me when they announced it was going to only be on a streaming service.  They've pretty much sealed my absolute lack of interest if they go with a JJverse show.  The absolute savaging of the Trek property by the powers that be with the JJ movies and now this wretched television plan is just so very sad...

Actually, making this for streaming service only would be another reason why I should cut the cord (but only next year). Of course, it will depend on what the show promises to entail.

I am a little excited about the show, but I wish they had not done it in the JJverse. I don't think Kurtzman is a bad TV producer/writer. Also budget limitations will no doubt force them to refrain from too many space jumping scenes. The only part of the JJverse that I would like this show to rectify is time of warp travel and the limitations of teleportation. Because what took place in Into Darkness was way too bonkers. 

Now I don't know how bad this CBS service is, but I find it's price worthiness relative. At $6/month, that may seem too much if you're only watching one show. But I am currently watching 4 shows on CBS, so I think the price would be worth it. And apparently you can watch live news, too.

Man, I don't give a damn about the streaming thing, I watch basically everything online anyway, and if they are pulling shit like this, I have no moral qualms using "other methods" to watch it should it turn out to be worth a damn, and that is a big if as far as I'm concerned.

Archived