What is the best POV story arc in any of the novels?

lightbringer2525

Lately I've found myself rereading particular characters chapters on their own instead of rereading the entire book (haven't had too much reading time lately), and one I always go back to is Jaime's story in ASOS. I'll read all of his chapters in a row because in a way his story is separate from a lot of the other events going on in the book. I truly do think his story, and character arc in book 3 is one of the best in the entire series. He has so much development throughout the book, and I know a lot of people turned into Jaime fans afterwards. His inner dialogue is so entertaining, and it's so gratifying to read how it changes throughout the book. I also really love the Arya chapters in ASOS, but mainly because her and the Hound are my favorite odd pairing. There are other strong ones that I've read on their own as well, such as the Tyrion arc in ACOK. I'm just curious what everyone elses favorite single story arcs are in any one of the novels?

Jaime wins for me too, just because I hated his guts when I first read the books, but I slowly started to like him when I progressed through the series. His arc is fantastic. 

Theon in a Dance with Dragons is great too. Even though for me, Jaime has the best arc, Theon has the best chapter in the whole series so far, when he's kneeling beneath the hart tree in Winterfell, and while he's praying, he hears his name whispered through the wind and the leaves. Simply amazing. 

Tyrion has a good arc too. I always enjoy a Tyrion arc. 

Jon has always had great arcs as well. He went from a whiny entitled boy, to a man of the Night's Watch, to Lord Commander, to dead. great read. 

I don't enjoy Arya's arc. 

Arya's arc and Dany's arc even though they both take a dip in quality in Feast & Dance. Dany's to a worse degree than Arya, but the last chapter with her in the Dothraki sea somewhat saves it. Also agree with everyone about Jaime. I liked Brienne's arc the first time I read it, but once I got to the end and read it 2nd & 3rd time and realized nothing happened I didn't like it as much, but Winds may save the arc.

Although it has one heck of a slow beginning (in terms of learning and maturing), I really love it when Sansa begins to come into her own after Lysa flies. Up until then, Sansa seems to be sort of reeling from one shock, hurt or disappointment to the next - not that I blame her for that.

But it's as if all the girlish daydreams go out the Moon Door with her aunt, and she realizes that if she's going to make it in this world, it's high time to become a player. Without turning cruel or bitter, she begins to apply her training as a lady with intent and in a manner that is beneficial to her, rather than just because it's what she was told to do. She seems to be learning that that courtesy really CAN be armor, and in a much more tangible way than she ever knew. 

Mostly I am impressed with her poised handling of Robin - and so is everyone else, it seems. Also her ability to deflect Petyr (so far, at least) by a careful combination of daughterly behavior and chaste affection, while NOT allowing him open access to her thoughts as she did with Cersei. She also appears to be ready for Myranda, and then suitably gracious to LF when he tells her about this spectacular mess of a betrothal he's dumped her into without a word to her in advance - which obviously raises her red flags, but seven bless her, I do believe Sansa has managed her first poker face!!! And considering the man to whom she's speaking, that's saying something. 

I also love Jaime's arc, but cannot add anything original to what has already been said. 

9 hours ago, Nevets said:

Arya in Clash and Storm

Jaime in Storm and Feast

Brienne(!!) in Feast 

Jon in Dance 

The Arya and Brienne arcs work rather well as stand-alones

I have to agree with all of these. All four arcs you have mentioned are full of chapters I do not tire of reading, and I think with Jaime what we have in Storm and Feast is our perception of him from Thrones and Clash completely turned on its head. It is hard to marry up, for me, the Jaime of Storm and Feast with the man that throws a seven year old child from a window right at the beginning of Thrones. It shows just how much difference being a POV character can make to the audience's perception. 

Eddard and Daenerys in AGoT

Tyrion in ACoK

Jon/Sam/NW arc in ASoS

Cersei in AFfC

Theon in ADwD with an honorable mention to Bran's creepy greenseer training and Davos' Frey confrontation:

"Ser, may I have your name?"

"Ser Jared, of House Frey."

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

- ADwD, Ch.19, Davos III

Sarah, I think that's one of my favourite Davos lines ever. It's perfect.

Though, I reaaaaaally hate the Freys, so perhaps any instance of bringing truth down upon them - or them receiving some sort of comeuppance - tends to tickle my tastebuds.

Nonetheless!

Edit: I think Jaime's almost a universal given, in this regard, so I'll put off mentioning him in any more detail than this. For me, I'm a sucker for a character who's  blunt, honest, and a bit greasy. Davos' point of view always carried all three. Short of a few moments of Stannis being Stannis, Davos is probably the only reason I truly enjoy that part of the story. Bonus points for the chapter of his "rebirth" after the Blackwater, when he realizes he's alive, his finger bones are gone, he's short 4 sons, and Saan manages to save him. Further, we discover Manderly's true allegiance through Davos and considering one of the biggest reveals - for me - was that Manderly was duping KL and that Davos wasn't dead, that was a tasty treat of a combo reveal.

10 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

Although it has one heck of a slow beginning (in terms of learning and maturing), I really love it when Sansa begins to come into her own after Lysa flies. Up until then, Sansa seems to be sort of reeling from one shock, hurt or disappointment to the next - not that I blame her for that.

But it's as if all the girlish daydreams go out the Moon Door with her aunt, and she realizes that if she's going to make it in this world, it's high time to become a player. Without turning cruel or bitter, she begins to apply her training as a lady with intent and in a manner that is beneficial to her, rather than just because it's what she was told to do. She seems to be learning that that courtesy really CAN be armor, and in a much more tangible way than she ever knew. 

Mostly I am impressed with her poised handling of Robin - and so is everyone else, it seems. Also her ability to deflect Petyr (so far, at least) by a careful combination of daughterly behavior and chaste affection, while NOT allowing him open access to her thoughts as she did with Cersei. She also appears to be ready for Myranda, and then suitably gracious to LF when he tells her about this spectacular mess of a betrothal he's dumped her into without a word to her in advance - which obviously raises her red flags, but seven bless her, I do believe Sansa has managed her first poker face!!! And considering the man to whom she's speaking, that's saying something. 

I also love Jaime's arc, but cannot add anything original to what has already been said. 

Don't think I could have even begin to so eloquently explain why I love Sansa's arc!

I also really enjoy Jaime, Jon, Arya and Theon.

To note, I think Theon and Jaime are so enjoyed because Martin does something very interesting with them both, as noted by others previously, where we initially root against them, but change as the story continues. 

Archived