What is the best POV story arc in any of the novels?

lightbringer2525

I'd have to say Jaime as well. Even though my first impression when I saw his name atop the Chapter page was "oh god, -he- has a POV now?" he quickly won me over with his magnificent disdain for the world in general, and the more I learned about him the more I understood why he was the way he was. A jaded knight who pretty much stopped bothering to try in a world so corrupt and full of hypocrisy. Though Brienne reawakened his knightly nature and him rescuing her from the bear(while crippled nonetheless) was perhaps the most heroic moment of the series. When he burned Cersei's letter, I literally shouted yes(and got funny looks given I was in the break room at work) in joy that he started to realize what poison his sister was to him.

Davos. Over all the books not just for the mandely chapters... i just love all his chapters. His first chapter after blackwater. Is one of my favs. Just sitting on a rock.. contemplating if he should live or not. I know we get the same sort of thing with sam after the fist, Davos's is better:P 

theres a simplicity to him that flows threw to his chapers. 

12 minutes ago, Captain howdy said:

Davos. Over all the books not just for the mandely chapters... i just love all his chapters. His first chapter after blackwater. Is one of my favs. Just sitting on a rock.. contemplating if he should live or not. I know we get the same sort of thing with sam after the fist, Davos's is better:P 

theres a simplicity to him that flows threw to his chapers. 

I love Davos. Easily the character I could relate to the most. Definitely one of the most morally sound and self made characters in the series. But let's face it, his story is to witness Stannis' story for the most part.

Favorites in each novel

Reek/Theon in Dance.

Jon in SoS and Dance (both great arcs)

Dany in AGoT

Jaime in SoS and AFFC

Overall favorite character arcs: Jaime, Jon and Sansa

ETA: While reading the books, the chapters I skipped to was Tyrion and Arya's for those are my favorite characters. But I feel they both have had a lot of wandering storylines than a definite arc so far.

2 hours ago, Sydney Mae said:

Daenerys' story arc is my favorite.  I also enjoy Tyrion's chapters.

Dany has most definitely had a great arc over the course of all the books. Can't wait to see what happens next for her. And I always love Tyrion! I find myself going back and reading his chapters all the time. What's your favorite of Tyrions? I've probably read his escape from kings landing chapter a dozen times 

I question that many of these POV characters have arcs, as in what exists thus far constitutes an arc. Especially when looking at only their POV in one book. Ned I don't think does at all, he is the same Ned from the opening chapter proper until his death. I see the series basically as GRRM says it is, one story whole divided into several books, and most characters I think are still on the climb to the height of their arc, with only hints as to where it leads but no realisation.

I would like to hear what people believe to be Dany's arc as of now, or even Jon.

46 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

I question that many of these POV characters have arcs, as in what exists thus far constitutes an arc. Especially when looking at only their POV in one book. Ned I don't think does at all, he is the same Ned from the opening chapter proper until his death. I see the series basically as GRRM says it is, one story whole divided into several books, and most characters I think are still on the climb to the height of their arc, with only hints as to where it leads but no realisation.

I would like to hear what people believe to be Dany's arc as of now, or even Jon.

I don't think story arc refers to a characters changes as much as the plot they are in. (otherwise it would be character arc)

My vote goes to Davos. He's still the same onion knight regardless of what curveballs he is thrown. He's the truest to himself of any character there is.

We see him, every time the same morals and ethics guide him. He is learning, however, but that's not a change. He is learning how he would act in each situation. It's disappointing to see him latched to what is so clearly such a dead end. I'm anxious to see what he displays as a character without Stannis. His honor can only be matched by ned( unless Jon really is HIS bastard.) I recall tyrion telling tyrion that most men would rather face a hard truth than face it. Davos embraces it before we ever meet him and he holds onto it even better than his most valuable possession.

I really hope Davos and Jaime are on the same side at the end, even if that side of the wall.

5 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

What makes you think a character needs to change to have a story arc? Have you never heard of Bartleby the Scrivener? I could tell you about him, but I would prefer not to. 

Just now, khal drogon said:

Davos is my favorite but can't say he has a distinct story arc. It is about Stannis most of the time. 

In TWOW, though, Davos will be away from Stannis (in the first half anyway) because he's searching for Rickon. I think Davos will have one of the most interesting POVs in the next book, since he will be more solo than usual, as well as we will be able to journey into Skagos

6 minutes ago, Seven-Eyed Crow said:

In TWOW, though, Davos will be away from Stannis (in the first half anyway) because he's searching for Rickon. I think Davos will have one of the most interesting POVs in the next book, since he will be more solo than usual, as well as we will be able to journey into Skagos

Yeah I am looking forward to it. 

So far Davos had existed only as an eye on someone or some event. So I am excited to see him in action. 

Archived