What is the best POV story arc in any of the novels?

lightbringer2525

- Ned in AGOT I love ned's chapters so much , it's full of nostalgia and the tower of joy was my favorite , and I also love reading about the starks children in his POV

- Sansa in ASOS made me begin to love Sansa as a character , especially the Purple wedding Chapter

- Arya in AGOT & ACOK & ASOS I love arya all the way but her Story after she left westeros is kind of disappointing 

- Jaime in ASOS & AFFC

- Cersei in ADWD

- Jon in ASOS & ADWD

- Daenerys in AGOT to ASOS after that I lost interest in her story .

- Bran in AGOT and I believe his chapter in TWOW will be more interesting

On 2/10/2016 at 5:45 AM, sarah.jenice said:

"Ser, may I have your name?"

"Ser Jared, of House Frey."

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

- ADwD, Ch.19, Davos III

^ "…some men cry when slicing onions but I do not have that weakness.  If you are truly a knight, ser, you will defend that slander with your body.  "

Guess I'm the rare one who really likes how Tyrion has developed.  No one was more loathed, mistreated and wronged than Tyrion.  Yes, Sansa and Theon have had some horrible things happen to them, but all were due to their choices.  Sansa lying about Joffrey and telling Cersei Ned planned to send her and Arya to Winterfell.  Theon obviously for his assault on Winterfell.  Tyrion was loathed and hated by everyone but Jamie since the day he was born.  And while he wasn't the sole hero of the Blackwater, he certainly has been the most loyal to his family and doing the right thing than anyone else.  

Everyone loves a good redemption story, so Jaimie and Theon(ADWD chapters were possibly the best in the series) have the most interesting arcs.

I feel likeJons and Brans arcs the most important to the series as a whole, because they deal with the impending doom beyond the wall.

I know Dany is an important character but her storyline is a little boring(thanks Meeranese Knot) Her last chapter in ADWD was amazing though.

Cersei, Arya, and Sansa have great chapters but I feel like all three of them could have died in ADWD and AFFC and it wouldn't affect the story too much.

44 minutes ago, WalkinDude said:

Guess I'm the rare one who really likes how Tyrion has developed.  No one was more loathed, mistreated and wronged than Tyrion.  Yes, Sansa and Theon have had some horrible things happen to them, but all were due to their choices.  Sansa lying about Joffrey and telling Cersei Ned planned to send her and Arya to Winterfell.  Theon obviously for his assault on Winterfell.  Tyrion was loathed and hated by everyone but Jamie since the day he was born.  And while he wasn't the sole hero of the Blackwater, he certainly has been the most loyal to his family and doing the right thing than anyone else.  

I think everyone think Tyrion's arc is riveting (or at least interesting), but he's just so, so frustrating.

I really do love the majority of the characters and their individual arcs. A lot of love for Theon, and I completely agree about his chapters in ADWD being my favorite in that book. I'll never forget how I felt after reading his first Reek chapter, and knowing I'd be in for a wild ride. His story comes to a great head, and loved his chapter that was released from Winds.  Can't wait to see what happens next for him 

I really do love the majority of the characters and their individual arcs. A lot of love for Theon, and I completely agree about his chapters in ADWD being my favorite in that book. I'll never forget how I felt after reading his first Reek chapter, and knowing I'd be in for a wild ride. His story comes to a great head, and loved his chapter that was released from Winds.  Can't wait to see what happens next for him 

Do you think Stannis has a plan for him? I am convinced he wont kill Theon, but if he doesnt kill him, he has something to do with him.

Thank you, Edd Tollett's One Vote!

I had forgotten Davos for a moment and have to add him to Sansa.  In a way, their arcs are mirrors of each other. Sansa came from a background of having absolutely everything, and had to learn to be (comparatively) nothing. Davos came from nothing and still has to remind himself that he's now Kind of a Big Deal. Both are having to learn how to put their strengths and weaknesses to work for them in their new, often uncomfortable places in life. 

22 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Do you think Stannis has a plan for him? I am convinced he wont kill Theon, but if he doesnt kill him, he has something to do with him.

Gosh, I really don't know. I don't think he'll be burnt. That would be kind of an anticlimactic ending for him. I think Asha might be burnt. He definitely has a plan of sorts for Theon, but I couldn't say what. Stannis loves his justice, so he may see that he's been punished enough and decide to do something else, but who knows! I want to go reread that chapter now. It's been a while

Gosh, I really don't know. I don't think he'll be burnt. That would be kind of an anticlimactic ending for him. I think Asha might be burnt. He definitely has a plan of sorts for Theon, but I couldn't say what. Stannis loves his justice, so he may see that he's been punished enough and decide to do something else, but who knows! I want to go reread that chapter now. It's been a while

Especially if Davos returnes with Rickon and Stannis finds out that Theon didn't kill them. Stannis has no intrrest in killing him to please Northeners, too. He will win them by bringing Arya and Rickon and it will please them more then burning Theon who didnt kill Bran and Rickon. He can be used as barganing chip with II, he can be used as new lord of II, he can be used to take Dreadfort (a theory I like so much) or something else. I wont like him to die, he is very complex man and very misunterstood and I hope he rules Iron Islands because I think he is a good ruler, remember when he whiped that Ironborn for raping Winterfell girl. Good idea, I might reread that chapter, too.

On 11-2-2016 at 5:41 PM, WalkinDude said:

I don't understand your reasoning that Theon and Sansa suffered due to their choices, Theon didn't suffer due to his own choices he suffered due to his father's and Robert Baratheon's (possibly Ned stark's but we don't know how much he was involved in the decision making) and Sansa was a 12  year old girl with no knowledge of the political game, or life in general, you can't expect her to act as someone who did.

to answer the question the OP asked: Theon, jaime's also great and tbh, most characters have amazing arcs so far. Theon is my number one and Jaime my number two by far but a few others that stand out to me are: Sansa, Arya and Cersei

GRRM is a spinner of yarns, a masterful fabulist, if ever I saw one to fasten on to so many details in their fiction, but for my praise to contract into a rather more local consideration:

Theon's Clash chapters are genuinely sublime (his intro turns into the exclamatory tones of the stage, but in a matter of lines his father's sound rejection of him settles into a lush emotional score. The author handles subtlety quite effectively throughout...) Henceforth, his ADwD character arc is like an open wound, probing the dilated heart.

I love reading about Jaime trying to scrape out a portion of self-defined identity that is for once decisively marked as his own seperate from Cersei. (Not an ardent admirer of the latter figure, though...)

Also Brienne's Feast chapters are a credo to the imaginative weighing of honour and ethos in the series, which threads through a number of stories current to the core canon like a leitmotif. (And contrary to popular belief, they are most certainly action-packed!)

On 2/10/2016 at 9:20 PM, Targaryen Restoration said:

Dany's.  They were good enough to stand on their own and win a Hugo award for GRRM.  No other POV from the books can stand on its own besides hers.

You may be right.  I would love her story arc, regardless of whether they won the award or not.  Her sections provide most of the excitement in the books.  I find myself wishing a Jon or an Arya chapter would just hurry up and end in Dance, just so I could get to a Dany.    

Daenerys Targaryen's POVs are my faves.  They have the advantage of exotic locales, dragons, and ofcourse, the Khaleesi herself.  Dany went from scared refuge and blossomed into a poised Mhysa.  Slaver's Bay really is just going to continue to become a focal point of the story as two of the three main characters are there, Marwyn is on the way, Barristan the Bold is getting ready for battle, and the dragons are getting bigger. 

Archived