Let's Get Kraken

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child being Published as a Book

68 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I also have to say that I'm surprised there are only two pages in this thread. When I checked the boards for a thread like this yesterday, I really was expecting pages and pages with commentary on it. Perhaps HP isn't as popular as I thought it was :) 

Dude,what are you doing here ? Lit section is where we sane (mostly) and non-fanatic (mostly) asoiaf fans hang out! :D

BEGONE GoT-BASHER!!! :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

What :o You haven't read the books, but have seen the movies. What's wrong with you man :P The movies really suck.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Voldemort is a total poonhound

 

I completely missed them at the age I was. I was more into Richard Morgan SF novels and comics at that time. Plus I hate the "at school" genre with a passion. Magic school seems to be the worst offender of this from my own experience as well.

People running around after graduating, I'm cool with. So weirdly the screenplay may appeal to me more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AncalagonTheBlack said:

BEGONE GoT-BASHER!!! :P

It's called being a GoT-realist :P 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I completely missed them at the age I was. I was more into Richard Morgan SF novels and comics at that time. Plus I hate the "at school" genre with a passion. Magic school seems to be the worst offender of this from my own experience as well.

People running around after graduating, I'm cool with. So weirdly the screenplay may appeal to me more.

I liked the screenplay more than most here, but I think you'd be better off reading the novels. For all that is wrong with them, I do think they'll be seen as classics of children's literature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I also have to say that I'm surprised there are only two pages in this thread. When I checked the boards for a thread like this yesterday, I really was expecting pages and pages with commentary on it. Perhaps HP isn't as popular as I thought it was :) 

I was also highly surprised, and surprised more people didnt LOVE IT as I did.  Like what better way to world peace than JKR writing more novels/stories.

 

 

Made a spoiler thread. :)

 

Edited by Suzanna Stormborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SeanF said:
  Hide contents

 

It seems curious to me that Voldemort and Bellatrix should have had a daughter together, given that it was heavily emphasised in the books that Voldemort loved no one, and he and Bellatrix didn't appear to be on especially good terms during Half Blood Prince when the child would have been conceived.

I suppose one can rationalise it by arguing that Voldemort just wanted an heir, although even that seems out of character.  And, he would surely have sought a legitimate heir.

 

 

The thing I don't understand...

To what end does an immortal guy need an heir? I do believe Voldemost saw himself as the culmination of Salazar's line, and he had no intention to die

ever. If anything, he would want to get rid off of any possible eventual competition.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I also have to say that I'm surprised there are only two pages in this thread. When I checked the boards for a thread like this yesterday, I really was expecting pages and pages with commentary on it. Perhaps HP isn't as popular as I thought it was :) 

IMHO everybody pretends this continuation doesn't exist. I know I thought it was a bad joke when I read the summarization, and I congratulated myself for leaving the fandom years ago. This is not the Harry Potter I remember.

As a Tumblr user lycanthropuppy put it:

"I have read some truly terrible next generation fanfic in some of my darkest fandom days, but the cursed child plot was like reading shitpostgenerator after all the worst lines of the worst fics were entered into its database."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I like the movies AND the books. :P

:o I heard of people like you, but I never thought I would ever come across one of your kind :P 

13 hours ago, lojzelote said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

To what end does an immortal guy need an heir? I do believe Voldemost saw himself as the culmination of Salazar's line, and he had no intention to die

ever. If anything, he would want to get rid off of any possible eventual competition.

 

Yeah, all really good points. That's why I see HP and the Cursed Child as a sort of alternative universe. With the big difference to the original that Voldemort is a total

Spoiler

poonhound.

:P 

13 hours ago, lojzelote said: Reveal hidden contents

To what end does an immortal guy need an heir? I do believe Voldemost saw himself as the culmination of Salazar's line, and he had no intention to die

ever. If anything, he would want to get rid off of any possible eventual competition.

IMHO everybody pretends this continuation doesn't exist. I know I thought it was a bad joke when I read the summarization, and I congratulated myself for leaving the fandom years ago. This is not the Harry Potter I remember.

As a Tumblr user lycanthropuppy put it:

"I have read some truly terrible next generation fanfic in some of my darkest fandom days, but the cursed child plot was like reading shitpostgenerator after all the worst lines of the worst fics were entered into its database."

I never bothered with fanfiction (except for Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality, I read quite a bit of that), but it does feel like way to many people are getting way too worked up about it. Like that Tumblr user, he's engaging in more than a little hyperbole right there. The plot is rather dumb, for reasons already discussed, but there are also obvious qualities about the story imo. It feels like a kneejerk reaction a lot of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I liked the screenplay more than most here, but I think you'd be better off reading the novels. For all that is wrong with them, I do think they'll be seen as classics of children's literature. 

The first three, certainly.

The remaining four have plenty of good bits, but also, loads of filler and padding, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The first three, certainly.

The remaining four have plenty of good bits, but also, loads of filler and padding, IMHO.

I think four certainly deserves to be included as well. I was also always very fond of book five, but I get that there are weaker elements in there. Six is the only one I didn't really care for and seven had some good stuff and bad stuff in it really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I liked the screenplay more than most here, but I think you'd be better off reading the novels. For all that is wrong with them, I do think they'll be seen as classics of children's literature. 

If I ever have kids I'll read the first few to them and see how we get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question doesn't strictly speaking belong here, but I'm not creating a whole new Harry Potter thread just to ask it -

I reread HP&TDH today for the first time since it was released and I fear that it's stirred to life a disease that's been mostly latent for ten years. 

Ahem

*twitch*

Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of any good HP fanfiction written after DH was released? I don't have an LJ anymore, and no one's left to ask there regardless. My fannish haunts have all closed down. It's exactly like Don McLean walking into the sacred store/where he heard the music years before/but the man there said the music wouldn't play. Except not. 

Back in the day, I liked reading gen with romance preferably taking a back seat to plot/atmosphere/dialogue/anything that's not sex or romance. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Egg said:

LOL

That's right, laugh at my tragic situation. :crying: 

I may never find out if James Sirius Potter grows up to have a black-haired son and a red-haired daughter, who themselves grow up and beget two children (one black-, one red-haired) each, with a 75% chance of them being called James or Lily  as either a first or middle name, and they each beget two children, and so on and so on. 

It's very difficult not knowing. 

 

Edited by dog-days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, LiveJournal, that brings me back.

I know some people in RL super into HP fanfic, when I see them I'll ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LiveJournal and its ilk were great in the noughties, way better than any of its successor/usurper social media sites. Tumblr. Pfft. 

Thanks for your help, Darth Richard II. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dog-days said:

This question doesn't strictly speaking belong here, but I'm not creating a whole new Harry Potter thread just to ask it -

I reread HP&TDH today for the first time since it was released and I fear that it's stirred to life a disease that's been mostly latent for ten years. 

Ahem

*twitch*

Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of any good HP fanfiction written after DH was released? I don't have an LJ anymore, and no one's left to ask there regardless. My fannish haunts have all closed down. It's exactly like Don McLean walking into the sacred store/where he heard the music years before/but the man there said the music wouldn't play. Except not. 

Back in the day, I liked reading gen with romance preferably taking a back seat to plot/atmosphere/dialogue/anything that's not sex or romance. 

 

 

 

There is a HP Fan Fiction Sub Reddit you can search. Don't ask me why I know this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

There is a HP Fan Fiction Sub Reddit you can search. Don't ask me why I know this.

Wow, that was instructive. I had no idea that was there. Like lifting up a rock and finding all the HP fandom crowded beneath it! 

Thanks for the tip. :)

(Note: I didn't ask) 

Edited by dog-days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dog-days said:

This question doesn't strictly speaking belong here, but I'm not creating a whole new Harry Potter thread just to ask it -

I reread HP&TDH today for the first time since it was released and I fear that it's stirred to life a disease that's been mostly latent for ten years. 

Ahem

*twitch*

Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of any good HP fanfiction written after DH was released? I don't have an LJ anymore, and no one's left to ask there regardless. My fannish haunts have all closed down. It's exactly like Don McLean walking into the sacred store/where he heard the music years before/but the man there said the music wouldn't play. Except not. 

Back in the day, I liked reading gen with romance preferably taking a back seat to plot/atmosphere/dialogue/anything that's not sex or romance. 

 

 

 

There's one I rather liked called "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness", although the author has made himself remarkably unpopular.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dog-days said:

Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of any good HP fanfiction written after DH was released?

http://www.hpmor.com/chapter/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now