Why do people keep exaggerating about the sex\nudity and violence?

Feologild

So what is the reason that so many people are exaggerating about the sex\nudity and violence in Game of Thrones ? 

I mean i don`t think there is that much sex\nudity in the show and i don`t think that there is that much violence in the show. At least not as much as some people claim at least that is my opinion.

It is extremely exaggerate in fact even the deaths are exaggerated in the books. Yes obviously there are plenty of deaths, and sex/nudity and violence but the time period we are at is a time of war and turmoil and the repercussion of a continental war and people sometimes go at all it. Oh well. That is my opinion though and I do believe it is extremely overexaggerted 

23 hours ago, Feologild said:

So what is the reason that so many people are exaggerating about the sex\nudity and violence in Game of Thrones ? 

I mean i don`t think there is that much sex\nudity in the show and i don`t think that there is that much violence in the show. At least not as much as some people claim at least that is my opinion.

I think it became a selling tool in the first couple of seasons. Certainly in season 1 theres quite a bit of nudity and there are a few scenes which are over the top gratuitous and serve very little purpose except boobs. LFs scene in the brothel is a the most obvious. The tone of the show in that first season is quite broad at times, you have Ros, you have a dwarf in a threesome, you have brother and sister going at it.

That was all quite shocking I'm sure to viewers not used to those themes, who are more used to watching bland non offensive network fare. You also have to take that into account, that GoTs audience is wide ranging, and encompasses different types of viewers, some of whom aren't used to nudity and violence. 

From that point it developed a reputation for sex and violence. I think its unfounded, especially when compared to a lot of other shows which are just as graphic, if not more so. I'd also say it has toned things down quite a bit on the sex front, and the violence is pretty rare too. 

IMO it's because there's a lot of people watching GoT who just aren't used to it, especially not from a fantasy show.

GoT is made like a period drama, but it's also fantasy so it attracts a significant audience that's more used to the likes of Harry Potter.

So basically if you're the type of person who got drawn to GoT because you like period dramas such as Rome, Tudors, etc then the violence and nudity is nothing new. But if you're the kind of person who's drawn to it because you like fantasy television then obviously you're seeing things you don't see in Outlander.

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

IMO it's because there's a lot of people watching GoT who just aren't used to it, especially not from a fantasy show.

GoT is made like a period drama, but it's also fantasy so it attracts a significant audience that's more used to the likes of Harry Potter.

So basically if you're the type of person who got drawn to GoT because you like period dramas such as Rome, Tudors, etc then the violence and nudity is nothing new. But if you're the kind of person who's drawn to it because you like fantasy television then obviously you're seeing things you don't see in Outlander.

Have you SEEN Outlander? 

Because it's an easy target for the Ranters and Ravers. Honestly, it has no more nudity and violence than other shows of its genre/caliber. The story and the characters are always the forefront, but the sex scenes and violence are definitely present, but don't define the show. 

I think there are two reasons:

1) The show has been more popular and gotten more "buzz" than other shows that have a similar amount of sex and violence. The more popular -- the more people will point out the "shocking" content.

2) The show has shown penises. Americans cannot handle seeing penises.

The criticism of the violence may be over exaggerated because I think the majority of the violence is necessary to storyline and doesn't add any more violence than the book. The criticism of the sex is well founded though. I'm not one of those people who care about the abundance of  sex scenes, but I understand the criticism. There are time when sex/nude scenes make sense because its part of the plot. Cersei penance walk. Fine important part of the plot. Drogo and Dany having sex; Jaime and Cersei having sex; etc. All fine they are part of the plot and are showing the relationship. No problem. However, GOT has a lot of gratuitous, serving no plot purpose sex scenes and I think that's where the criticism is understandable. The most glaring example is Littlefinger in the brothel. The two girls having sex serves no purpose. Not to mention the scene was also relatively long. Now my response to this scene was "well this seems unnecessary, but whatever." But I understand why others had a stronger negative response to it and it's not exaggerated. 

Of course you have those people who are going to mad about any sex scene, but they just shouldn't watch HBO. 

Lets say "weak" people watch it just because EVERYONE is watching.

They cant tolerate it and complain. The number of people who watch it because the like it is very small.

I am perfectly ok showing FICTIONAL characters do whatever the fvck they want. It's a fantasy.

My only complaint is with the quality of the story nowadays..

I find it interesting that feminists or those leaning towards feminism are losing their minds over the depiction of sexual violence while at the same time are doing all they can to bring this topic to the forefront of political discourse. They see rape everywhere yet they don't want it depicted so people can actually see how horrible being raped is, which you think would reinforce their argument to some degree.

2 hours ago, CryptofCthulhu said:

I find it interesting that feminists or those leaning towards feminism are losing their minds over the depiction of sexual violence while at the same time are doing all they can to bring this topic to the forefront of political discourse. They see rape everywhere yet they don't want it depicted so people can actually see how horrible being raped is, which you think would reinforce their argument to some degree.

There certainly seems to be a group of focussed feminist hatred towards the show in general.

The violence is there as part of the story in just about all of the cases I can think of so far. (I will say the Brienne chase scene at the start of S5 was odd and forced) People need to stop watching if medieval inspired dragon-magic fantasy bothers them. Those are the types that need to find another train to jump.

In terms of the sex... that is different. It's not always that it is because sex or bewbs were shown, but how and why and how often. Just like the violence, it has to be part of the story, not just thrown in there for shock and titillation.

The excessively long sexploitation scenes, the fact that hardly ever is a man naked in the same scene as the woman are (Talisa on the bed with a fully clothed Robb, Ygritte in the cave with a fully clothed Jon just off the top of my head) seems ridiculously out of balance and very forced in to the story. The fact that Melisandre has the moinker Meli-sans-bra should tell you how predictable and ridiculous it is.

The other negative issue with the nudity and sex is it is so often out of character for the individuals in the story. Seriously, the S5 episode where Mel walks in to Jon's office and leans against his desk and flashes her tits and Jon literally became boob-matized at the sight of nipples, slack jawed and grasping. NOT how the new LC who fought his way to the top would act. It stands out as being wrong character-wise. When I watched that episode with my hubbs next to me, he who is a hot-blooded boob lovin' man, even he stated how out of character and cheap that scene was. He is totally unsullied to the books but I just laughed and laughed.

What Jaime did onscreen to Cersei over Joffery's dead body was not consensual and it was admitted later. What was done on screen to Dany on her wedding night was not consensual because "it wouldn't make sense". Both times, in the books, it is very clear that is consensual when the woman actually, literally says "yes" and physically moves to accept the hot piece of man meat.

What happens to Theon and Gendry was done onscreen only and guess what, it was very rapey and again, only the girls were fully naked.

If you have to flash boobs and bush that much to keep people tuning in, then you have real issues in the script/plot development area. I saw a comment on another site a few weeks back that said, "I don't care what happens as long as there are more blood and boobs." My brain hurt when I read that.

And all of this is coming from someone who has thrown their fair share of toast at Rocky Horror :cheers:

On 2/12/2016 at 10:03 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Theres certainly a prudish element to some of the media, especially in the US where sex is a whispered subject on Network TV, but violence is fine. 

And then there are quite a few prudes who love to bash the show for showing any sex whatsoever.

I agree. I always found this to be very odd. If anything it should be the other way around (mainly for regular programming)

Regular "good" sex and nakedness = happy funtimes

Violence and rape = bad stuff to avoid

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The violence is there as part of the story in just about all of the cases I can think of so far. (I will say the Brienne chase scene at the start of S5 was odd and forced) People need to stop watching if medieval inspired dragon-magic fantasy bothers them. Those are the types that need to find another train to jump.

In terms of the sex... that is different. It's not always that it is because sex or bewbs were shown, but how and why and how often. Just like the violence, it has to be part of the story, not just thrown in there for shock and titillation.

The excessively long sexploitation scenes, the fact that hardly ever is a man naked in the same scene as the woman are (Talisa on the bed with a fully clothed Robb, Ygritte in the cave with a fully clothed Jon just off the top of my head) seems ridiculously out of balance and very forced in to the story. The fact that Melisandre has the moinker Meli-sans-bra should tell you how predictable and ridiculous it is.

The other negative issue with the nudity and sex is it is so often out of character for the individuals in the story. Seriously, the S5 episode where Mel walks in to Jon's office and leans against his desk and flashes her tits and Jon literally became boob-matized at the sight of nipples, slack jawed and grasping. NOT how the new LC who fought his way to the top would act. It stands out as being wrong character-wise. When I watched that episode with my hubbs next to me, he who is a hot-blooded boob lovin' man, even he stated how out of character and cheap that scene was. He is totally unsullied to the books but I just laughed and laughed.

What Jaime did onscreen to Cersei over Joffery's dead body was not consensual and it was admitted later. What was done on screen to Dany on her wedding night was not consensual because "it wouldn't make sense". Both times, in the books, it is very clear that is consensual when the woman actually, literally says "yes" and physically moves to accept the hot piece of man meat.

What happens to Theon and Gendry was done onscreen only and guess what, it was very rapey and again, only the girls were fully naked.

If you have to flash boobs and bush that much to keep people tuning in, then you have real issues in the script/plot development area. I saw a comment on another site a few weeks back that said, "I don't care what happens as long as there are more blood and boobs." My brain hurt when I read that.

And all of this is coming from someone who has thrown their fair share of toast at Rocky Horror :cheers:

I do agree that there have been a few examples where there have been boobs and bums out and it seems a little out of context. The scene you mentioned with Red Mel and Jon was a particular low point last season, it seemed completely unnecessary to do it in that way, even if its really fine to show Jons being easily led by his sexual urges, what with him being a young man and being in the NW.

However, I do think that male / female nudity is an issue to do with society, not Game of Thrones. Showing male genitalia in general is far more shocking occurence, because its an exterior sexual organ, unlike the female one. It also shows sexual arousal in an obvious way that female ones don't. Female genitals can be shown in a sexual situation yet still be sexually neutral an inoffensive, it wouldn't work that way with a penis.

Plus there are plenty of occasions of male actors getting their kit off on the show. The much maligned topless Ramsey has got his kit off on numerous occasions, got his butt out as well. The first episode of the show had Theon, Robb and Jon all with their tops off in an obvious shot at enticing female viewers. Theres also the scenes with Loras, lots of naked male flesh. So I don't agree with the view that the show is explotative especially towards women, its more that women take their tops off and you see breasts, which have sexual connotations.

This is an exceptionally telling article:

"The weirdest part [of directing Game of Thrones] was when you have one of the exec producers leaning over your shoulder, going, 'You can go full frontal, you know. This is television, you can do whatever you want! And do it! I urge you to do it!' So I was like, 'Okay, well, you’re the boss.'"

This particular exec took me to one side and said, 'Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side, [but] I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.' So you go ahead and do it."

http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-nudity/

I really, truly have no issue with the nudity myself if it fits. (maybe pun intended) Example: Cersei naked walk of shame= necessary because it symbolizes the stripping of her armor. Most of the time it does not fit and it feels very off even down to a subconscious level where you have a hard time explaining it to yourself... that feeling of "something just isn't right here".

On 2/12/2016 at 11:29 AM, TepidHands said:

Have you SEEN Outlander? 

Great show, some gratuitous nudity, but for the most part they do it right and the chemistry between the main couple is so good you are sometimes asking yourself are they or aren't they.

And the raping of Jamie and attempted rapes of Claire was so realistic people should ponder the effects it does to  men and women and children.

I squirmed badly for Theon and Jamie scenes, my wife had to leave the room for both.

As a American, I don't understand our prudishness with nudity and sex yet many are ok with very graphic violence being shown almost continually; it's in TV,movies video games etc. but I as an adult can't see adult stories from 9PM to 5AM because we are immature and nudity evil oh it will supposedly increase rape or other heathen things, Canada and Europe don't seem to have that problem

Archived