Fighting skill categories and rankings

Kenton Stark

I did a post about ranking the fighters in ASOIAF and had some great responses and some that were critical of my attempt to quantify the fighters ability with a number.  Some of the criticism was valid. The only person that could give accurate rankings would be GRRM himself. I was just trying to stimulate some conversation about the subject, not confirm that my rankings or thought process was the most accurate.

Another poster suggested ranking fighters in different categories would be more accurate.  Just for discussion sake, which categories would you use to rank the fighters?

Maybe,

Jousting, Sword fighting, hand to hand close combat, strategy and tactics, endurance, speed, strength, heavy striking weapons, archery, use of environment, defense etc...

For example

Jousting -the 95-99 level guys would be Jamie, Loras, Daemon B. Arthur Dayne , Selmy, etc

Sword- Dayne, Selmy, Jamie, Daemon B. , the Dragonknight , Creagan Stark, etc

Hand to hand close combat- Duncan, the Mountain, Sandor, , Drogo  etc

Strategy and Tactics- Ned, Robb, Daemon the Rouge Prince, Blackfish, Tywin etc

Endurance, Syrio, Red Viper, etc

Speed- Syrio, Red Viper,Daario etc

Strength- Mountain, Robert, Hodor, Duncan, etc

Heavy striking weapons- Robert, Mountain, etc

Archery- Theon,, Auguy, bloodraven etc

use of environment- RObb, Ned, Bronn, bloodraven , Howland reed, etc.

Feel free to add names, add categories or disagree Very interested to hear  everyone's thoughts.

You did good job then and even better now. I like ideas of putting them to different cathegories and I agree mostly with you.

I would add maybe Greatjon to strength, he is not like Mountain but is very very strong.

Strategy and tacticts may include Stannis and Randyll acording to me.

And I would add Garlan Tyrell in hand to hand and swordfighting.

Perhaps someone else, I will write it if he/she comes to my mind, this is going to be an interesting topic.

1 hour ago, Kenton Stark said:

Jousting -the 95-99 level guys would be Jamie, Loras, Daemon B. Arthur Dayne , Selmy, etc

Sword- Dayne, Selmy, Jamie, Daemon B. , the Dragonknight , Creagan Stark, etc

Hand to hand close combat- Duncan, the Mountain, Sandor, , Drogo  etc

Strategy and Tactics- Ned, Robb, Daemon the Rouge Prince, Blackfish, Tywin etc

Endurance, Syrio, Red Viper, etc

Speed- Syrio, Red Viper,Daario etc

Strength- Mountain, Robert, Hodor, Duncan, etc

Heavy striking weapons- Robert, Mountain, etc

Archery- Theon,, Auguy, bloodraven etc

use of environment- RObb, Ned, Bronn, bloodraven , Howland reed, etc.

Feel free to add names, add categories or disagree Very interested to hear  everyone's thoughts.

Hi Kent,

• Jousting - Fireball, Rhaegar, Selmy, Dayne, and the Knight of the Laughing Tree.
  • Sword - Dayne, Selmy, Jaime, Brienne, and the Red Lamp (one of Selmy's boys)
  • Hand to Hand - Gregor, Sandor, Dunk, Drogo, and Greatjon.
  • Strategy - In terms of large-scale battle planning: Robert, Daenerys, Robb, Randyll, and Stannis.
  • Endurance - any pit fighter in his/her prime
  • Archery - Summer Islander, Anguy, Bloodraven, and Theon.
  • Arakh - Strong Belwas, Drogo.
  • Riding (horse) - Drogo, any Dothraki warrior, Daenerys, Fireball, and Lyanna
  •  

Archived