Dragged Out Storylines in S6, D&D doing Book 5 Stuff

Protector of Stokeworth

Alright guys, so looking at the casting for this season, as well as the circumstances with the sixth book and all that, I was wondering what Season 6 would look like.

Now, I know there are threads about what will happen, of course but I wanted to look at HOW all of this could happen and also, at what pace. Meaning, how much will the storyline progress, since we had a lot of stuff happening in S5 ( Kings Landing going crayz, Story at the Wall going from Intervention by Stannis to Stannis' and Jons Death, white walker story progress, etc).

My theory is that they will catch up on a lot of book stuff, tell stories from the past, overall don't take as big a jump in the storyline. 

What do you guys think ?

For example:

- Danny being captured could be at least half a season, then she somehow either gets free or wins their trust or whatever 

- Bran. They could do a lot of his storyline, even flashbacks of his training.

- Speaking of flashbacks. We can expect at least 2 flashbacks, which could go on over multiple episodes. 

- Tower of Joy

- Ned Stark as a Boy flashback

- Jamie and Arthur Dayne

- All the mess in kings landing could take some time, possibly take longer than GRRM will write it in Book 6

To sum this up, maybe the Storylines of S5 don't get as much development, maybe old book stuff, flashbacks, and other storylines are a big focal point.  That would makes sense for a number of reasons.

1. They would not part as much with the books

2. I dont know if its confirmed but I think if there will be a season 8, this would makes sense even more.

My fear is that Dany will do little else but hang around the Dothraki this season. There doesn't seem to have been much hint in reports that shes doing anything else. Possibly by the end of the season she'll have her Dragons back and will take Merreen or something. I hope for more.

I'm not sure it will be a slower pace this season, it might even speed up, last season was glacial for about 8 episodes. But I do think there will be a greater focus on previously missed elements, Ironborn, Riverlands, Oldtown etc, which will hopefully converge together in a way that makes sense

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

My fear is that Dany will do little else but hang around the Dothraki this season.

exactly. 

I'm not sure it will be a slower pace this season, it might even speed up, last season was glacial for about 8 episodes. But I do think there will be a greater focus on previously missed elements, Ironborn, Riverlands, Oldtown etc, which will hopefully converge together in a way that makes sense

I guess I meant that not a lot of NEW stuff will happen in the plots from S5, yeah, that would work with that.

Yeah the expectation is that Season 5 was Dance and Feast and Season 6 should be TWoW.. but its not really going to work like that. Some elements of TWOW will be in there too, but I think its just a bit of a reshuffle for a lot of characters.

Which wouldn't be bad though, HBO wants to make 8 seasons, that would probably work better with the books too... Even though they'd need ADOS for the last season and GRRM certainly is not known for being a fast writer

It seems like they're going to pick up at least a few omitted story lines from FFC and ADWD. The new promo photos have Balon Greyjoy still alive, so there will certainly be a season's worth of Greyjoy storyline catching up to Victarion getting to Mereen. Not to mention speculation on the Yunkish and the Sons of the Harpy attempting to take back Mereen with Tyrion presumably taking over Ser Barristan's role from the books. That's a season's worth of storyline right there. Also, Jamie apparently going to Riverrun and running into Brienne again (Maybe even Lady stone heart?), A bunch of Bran's visions, Sam's journey to Oldtown, and Arya catching up to her TWoW chapter

Mix that with some slow advance of Dany and the Dothraki,  Jon resurrected and released from his vows, maybe a big northern battle? Some Margary, Cersei and Sparrows, maybe a trail by combat, plus Maybe we figure out WTF Rickon is.

Then there's Dorne.....

Either way, I have a feeling hope there will be a good amount of TWoW left unspoiled by season end.

1 hour ago, Hand of the Kingslayer said:

It seems like they're going to pick up at least a few omitted story lines from FFC and ADWD. The new promo photos have Balon Greyjoy still alive, so there will certainly be a season's worth of Greyjoy storyline catching up to Victarion getting to Mereen. Not to mention speculation on the Yunkish and the Sons of the Harpy attempting to take back Mereen with Tyrion presumably taking over Ser Barristan's role from the books. That's a season's worth of storyline right there. Also, Jamie apparently going to Riverrun and running into Brienne again (Maybe even Lady stone heart?), A bunch of Bran's visions, Sam's journey to Oldtown, and Arya catching up to her TWoW chapter

Mix that with some slow advance of Dany and the Dothraki,  Jon resurrected and released from his vows, maybe a big northern battle? Some Margary, Cersei and Sparrows, maybe a trail by combat, plus Maybe we figure out WTF Rickon is.

Then there's Dorne.....

Either way, I have a feeling hope there will be a good amount of TWoW left unspoiled by season end.

Exactly. I think the Battle of Slavers Bay is happening with the sons of the harpy switching sides

Yes, they seem to be doing a good deal of flashback. And returning somewhat to the Geyjoy storyline. But seeing what they did with Dorne last year. And their pitiful treatment of the Geyjoys before, like Theon rescue attempt. I prefer to curb my expectations. And with all the time they used for digressing from the existing books. I don't think they will cover much of the 6th book in S6.

3 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Yes, they seem to be doing a good deal of flashback. And returning somewhat to the Geyjoy storyline. But seeing what they did with Dorne last year. And their pitiful treatment of the Geyjoys before, like Theon rescue attempt. I prefer to curb my expectations. And with all the time they used for digressing from the existing books. I don't think they will cover much of the 6th book in S6.

that said, there's some of the Book 5 stuff left. 

2 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

I can't see them reaching a solid conclusion to ship her to Westeros. 

I really don't see why she would do that before her dragons are a lot bigger anyway. Aegons Dragons burned entire armies, they say, and Drogon is still very very young and not battle proven at all. She would have to fight the Battle of Slavers Bay first

If you listen to the quotes this season is going to be more fast paced but I agree this will be a mix of Winds of Winter plus a mop up of AFFC/ADWD.  I do not expect them to cover all of Winds this season but certainly the stuff GRRM has written already, plus a few more points I suspect.

we know that Dany is with the Dothraki for a number of episodes but is back in Mereen with Tyrion towards the end. We also know that Jon is back and will fight the Boltons, with a number of armies in play towards the end too

On 16. Februar 2016 at 8:45 AM, JonSnowed said:

If you listen to the quotes this season is going to be more fast paced but I agree this will be a mix of Winds of Winter plus a mop up of AFFC/ADWD.  I do not expect them to cover all of Winds this season but certainly the stuff GRRM has written already, plus a few more points I suspect.

Hidden Content

They could certainly only do half of the book, then pick up the pace in S7

• 3 weeks later...

I think most of all of Season 6 will put us past AFFC and ADWD and about 80% of the major areas of TWOW as far as geographical regions are concerned. Characters will have been, as they have so far, picked out and ommitted etc. Sansa though and the absence of Aegon and Arianne are the ones that stand out. Dany and Mereen should be concluded by the season finale for her to come to Westeros. The North should be settled before the impending invasion. King's Landing is always chaos and they draws out in an of itself as it is the center of the "Game".

So far there has been nothing on Aegon, could he come up in S7 or is the penultimate season too late for him? There is nothing to support it in terms of spoilers but I do feel Dany will leave for Westeros this season and the white walkers will reach the wall, that sounds like a perfect place for episode 10 and really set up the following season.

Archived