Marwyn the mage

One-eyed Misbehavin

I'm ambivalent about him. On the one hand he seems extremely untrustworthy with his lies about the Citadel (no they don't deny magic/want to create a world without magic) and keeping Sam away from the other Archmaesters. On the other hand, if he's really evil, why is he going to Dany? Surely not to try and kill her.

On a sidenote, what the hell is up with Sam needing to pay a penny to be shown to the Seneschal? This is the Citadel we're talking about, surely they would known if someone was corrupt in such a petty and banal way, and take action?

44 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

I'm not sure exactly how it's gonna go down, but I'd say there's a good chance Dany won't be thrilled to meet Mirri Maz Duur's teacher.

Ha.

"Who are you?"

"I am maester Marvyn, Marvyn the Mage."

"Marvyn? I know that name-Drogon!"

24 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I'm pretty sure Mirri never said Marwyn by name. I think she referred to him as a maester from westeros or something like that. I could be wrong though 

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys VII

Ser Jorah Mormont spoke up. "A maester?"
"Marwyn, he named himself," the woman replied in the Common Tongue. "From the sea. Beyond the sea. The Seven Lands, he said. Sunset Lands. Where men are iron and dragons rule. He taught me this speech."

1 hour ago, Queen Alienor said:

I kinda think he wants to kill Dany's dragons. I'm not sure why I think it, and I don't really have that much proof, but the maesters have been theorized to be responsible for the death of dragons before, and I really don't trust him, so...

If he intends to kill Dany's dragon why would he inform someone who supports her of the Citadel's conspiracy and that they would likely send someone to kill her dragons? 

I think from Marwyn we may get a history of the Citadel's conspiracy, including the role they played in the Dance of Dragons. Dany will also need a Grand Maester. 

57 minutes ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

Radio Westeros speculated that Marwyn *might* be the former Maester of Dragonstone.  Cressen came with Stannis, so he wasn't at Dragonstone before RR.

Cressen seems to have been the maester for the Baratheons for some time; he was there when the Baratheon boys were young, serving their father, Steffon.

When a maester donned his collar, he put aside the hope of children, yet Cressen had oft felt a father nonetheless. Robert, Stannis, Renly . . . three sons he had raised after the angry sea claimed Lord Steffon. Had he done so ill that now he must watch one kill the other? He could not allow it, would not allow it. [A Clash of Kings - Prologue]

21 minutes ago, sciteacher said:

Cressen seems to have been the maester for the Baratheons for some time; he was there when the Baratheon boys were young, serving their father, Steffon.

When a maester donned his collar, he put aside the hope of children, yet Cressen had oft felt a father nonetheless. Robert, Stannis, Renly . . . three sons he had raised after the angry sea claimed Lord Steffon. Had he done so ill that now he must watch one kill the other? He could not allow it, would not allow it. [A Clash of Kings - Prologue]

That would fit, because Cressen would have been the maester of Storms End, not Dragonstone.

I think Marwyn will have a fairly prominent role in TWOW. He may have even been working, or at least communicating, with Quaithe through the glass candles, and we know how Quaithe has been trying to push Dany towards embracing her identity as The Dragon, rather than The Mother. I think Marwyn will be able to explain a lot of the supernatural elements of the world to Dany, and what role her Dragons have to play in the coming war with The Others. It may be that more so than anything that spurs her on to Westeros, since she does have such a savior complex.

Marwyn is oddly tied into a bunch of story arches... We know he uses a glass candle, prays in seaside temples, and was MMD's teacher/associate at one point.

The Candles are important since it is speculated that this allows the user to not only see over great distances but potentially speak in or mess with dreams...

Praying in the seaside temples is important because they are presumably the existing places of worship for the church of starry wisdom... Aka the faith of the Blood Stone Emperor.

It is known that he instructed or traded knowledge with MMD... And probably others on his way too and from Ashai.

It is possible that he was the Maester on Dragonstone when Darry fled with what're believed to be the last Targ heirs (along with a wet nurse and 4 loyal men). 

Peraonally, I believe he is the one who cut Varys as well... And I can't wait for that reunion

1 hour ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

Yeah, Cressen was the maester of Storm's End until Stannis moved to Dragonstone after RR.  Yes, he's been with the Baratheons since they were children, but the Baratheons didn't have Dragonstone until after RR.

I really liked the way Cressen remembered the three Baratheon boys. You can tell he truly was very fond of them and understood them well. It may have helped me interpret them better, too.

He is a man that's gotten around - all the way to Asshai and back.  There are so many options open for where he's been, what he's seen and what he's done.  And what he's going to do. 

3 minutes ago, sciteacher said:

I really liked the way Cressen remembered the three Baratheon boys. You can tell he truly was very fond of them and understood them well. It may have helped me interpret them better, too.

Yeah, he really does think of them as sons.  And loves them each for their own selves - certainly a better father-figure than someone like Randyll Tarly!

4 hours ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

I'm not sure exactly how it's gonna go down, but I'd say there's a good chance Dany won't be thrilled to meet Mirri Maz Duur's teacher.

I could see her not trusting him knowing the nature of Mirri's magic. He might be the only person heading her way whom she could trust.

3 hours ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

He is a conspiracy loony, I can say that much.

It is too early to dismiss his words as conspiracy theory. There are actually a lot of textual evidence pointing towards Citadel conspiracy. I would recommend you to read one of those theory threads.

13 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Marwyn is oddly tied into a bunch of story arches... We know he uses a glass candle, prays in seaside temples, and was MMD's teacher/associate at one point.

The Candles are important since it is speculated that this allows the user to not only see over great distances but potentially speak in or mess with dreams...

Praying in the seaside temples is important because they are presumably the existing places of worship for the church of starry wisdom... Aka the faith of the Blood Stone Emperor.

It is known that he instructed or traded knowledge with MMD... And probably others on his way too and from Ashai.

It is possible that he was the Maester on Dragonstone when Darry fled with what're believed to be the last Targ heirs (along with a wet nurse and 4 loyal men). 

Peraonally, I believe he is the one who cut Varys as well... And I can't wait for that reunion

Are the Glass candles or Obsidian related to the Oily black stones associated with the BSE and the COSW? There is something sinister about the glass candles.

I don't think Marwyn is old enough to have cut Varys.

Some background on Marwyn and my opinion of future events..

His first intro is in AGoT by Mirri Maz Durr and how she came to learn healing skills:

a maester from the Sunset Lands opened a body for me and showed me all the secrets that hide beneath the skin.”

“Marwyn, he named himself,” the woman replied in the Common Tongue. “From the sea. Beyond the sea. The Seven Lands, he said. Sunset Lands. Where men are iron and dragons rule. He taught me this speech.”

“A maester in Asshai,” Ser Jorah mused. “Tell me, Godswife, what did this Marwyn wear about his neck?”

“A chain so tight it was like to choke him, Iron Lord, with links of many metals.”

The knight looked at Dany. “Only a man trained in the Citadel of Oldtown wears such a chain,” he said, “and such men do know much of healing.[/quote]

Rodrik the Reader also give us interesting info:

Archmaester Marwyn’s Book of Lost Books.” He lifted his gaze from the page to study her. “Hotho brought me a copy from Oldtown. He has a daughter he would have me wed.” Lord Rodrik tapped the book with a long nail. “See here? Marwyn claims to have found three pages of Signs and Portents, visions written down by the maiden daughter of Aenar Targaryen before the Doom came to Valyria.

This is Pate's view of Marwyn:

When Marwyn had returned to Oldtown, after spending eight years in the east mapping distant lands, searching for lost books, and studying with warlocks and shadowbinders, Vinegar Vaellyn had dubbed him “Marwyn the Mage.” The name was soon all over Oldtown, to Vaellyn’s vast annoyance.[

And:

People said that he kept company with whores and hedge wizards, talked with hairy Ibbenese and pitch-black Summer Islanders in their own tongues, and sacrificed to queer gods at the little sailors’ temples down by the wharves. Men spoke of seeing him down in the undercity, in rat pits and black brothels, consorting with mummers, singers, sellswords, even beggars. Some even whispered that once he had killed a man with his fists.

When Sam gets to the Citadel he's sleepy as hell from banging Gilly & passed out in the waiting room.  He's woken by Sarella/Alleras & spills the beans about everything. Then instead of going to see Maester Theobald he's led to see Maester Marwyn:

The room beyond was large and round. Books and scrolls were everywhere, strewn across the tables and stacked up on the floor in piles four feet high. Faded tapestries and ragged maps covered the stone walls. A fire was burning in the hearth, beneath a copper kettle. Whatever was inside of it smelled burned. Aside from that, the only light came from a tall black candle in the center of the room.

Then this conversation happens:

Is that... ?”

“... obsidian,” said the other man in the room, a pale, fleshy, pasty-faced young fellow with round shoulders, soft hands, close-set eyes, and food stains on his robes.

“Call it dragonglass.” Archmaester Marwyn glanced at the candle for a moment. “It burns but is not consumed.”

“What feeds the flame?” asked Sam.

“What feeds a dragon’s fire?” Marwyn seated himself upon a stool. “All Valyrian sorcery was rooted in blood or fire. The sorcerers of the Freehold could see across mountains, seas, and deserts with one of these glass candles. They could enter a man’s dreams and give him visions, and speak to one another half a world apart, seated before their candles. Do you think that might be useful, Slayer?[/quote]

And then there's this: 

“Get myself to Slaver’s Bay, in Aemon’s place. The swan ship that delivered Slayer should serve my needs well enough. The grey sheep will send their man on a galley, I don’t doubt. With fair winds I should reach her first.” Marwyn glanced at Sam again, and frowned. “You... you should stay and forge your chain. If I were you, I would do it quickly. A time will come when you’ll be needed on the Wall.” He turned to the pasty-faced novice. “Find Slayer a dry cell. He’ll sleep here, and help you tend the ravens.”
“B-b-but,” Sam sputtered, “the other archmaesters... the Seneschal... what should I tell them?”
“Tell them how wise and good they are. Tell them that Aemon commanded you to put yourself into their hands. Tell them that you have always dreamed that one day you might be allowed to wear the chain and serve the greater good, that service is the highest honor, and obedience the highest virtue. But say nothing of prophecies or dragons, unless you fancy poison in your porridge.” Marwyn snatched a stained leather cloak off a peg near the door and tied it tight. “Sphinx, look after this one.”
“I will,” Alleras answered, but the archmaester was already gone. They heard his boots stomping down the steps.
“Where has he gone?” asked Sam, bewildered.
“To the docks. The Mage is not a man who believes in wasting time." Alleras smiled. "I have a confession. Ours was no chance encounter, Sam. The Mage sent me to snatch you up before you spoke to Theobald. He knew that you were coming.

What will you do?” asked Alleras, the Sphinx.

"In Aemon's place"? What ever could that mean? Also interesting that he says the grey sheep will be sending their man, so two Maesters are en route to Meereen.

Sam is blindly unaware this guy is taking off with all of Aemon's books, both of their possessions and Aemon's dead corpse, Gilly & the baby who has royal blood on the very same ship that brought him to Oldtown from Bravvos on his way to Dany. And don't say a word to anyone about anything, Sam may be bright but he got hoodwinked. 

My guess, Marwyn will come to Dany appearing as her great, great uncle Aemon. Whatever Arya drank to become a FM was brewed for him before he left.

A fire was burning in the hearth, beneath a copper kettle. Whatever was inside of it smelled burned.

Compared to what Arya drank:

When the milk came, Arya drank it down. It smelled a little burnt and had a bitter aftertaste.

No one knows Aemon is dead other than Marwyn, his inner circle in Oldtown which includes "the alchemist"/Jaqen, the crew of the cinnamon wind, Gilly & Sam, this would place Sam & Gilly in possible danger & also makes Tyrion's presence in Meereen interesting since he's been to the wall and has met Aemon. 

What Marwyin does next is anyone's guess.  We do know a few things about him.  He is portrayed as an outsider in the Conclave of Archmaesters where, as Archmaester of the study of magic, he holds the mask, ring and rod of Valyrian Steel.  Since Dany's dragons were born he has been able to use one of the four glass candles known to exist at the citadel.  When he met Sam he asked him to tell his story but it seemed to be more of a confirmation of what he had already seen in the candle than a freshly told tale.  We can infer that he has been using the candle to watch much more than just the activities of Sam. We know that as soon as he heard Sam's tale he headed to the harbour in Old Town to try to charter the Cinnamon Wind to take him to Meereen and Daenerys.   I hope that he becomes a valued adviser to Daenerys and that we get a big info dump from him regarding magic and dragons and the Doom of Valyria.

Archived