An ending that would piss off everyone

I was trying to think of a semi-plausible way the series could end (emphasis on the semi - crackpot allowed, but nothing utterly ridiculous like finding out it was all a dream or every character comes back to life for a song and dance number at the end) that would anger the most fans.  It's a tricky thought exercise, because when you think of something that you know would anger a large portion of the fanbase (e.g. Dany dies in Essos, Jon comes back as the leader of the Others, Ramsay is Azor Ahai) you realize that this would make another portion of the fanbase extremely happy.  It seems impossible to make everybody unhappy and disappointed - even an "Everybody loses" ending (The Wall comes down, the Other's kill everyone in Westeros and bring an eternal Long Night) would please grimdark fans who want a Ragnarok kind of ending.

I'm thinking maybe shifting the focus to an unpopular character, like Areo Hotah, and have him be the big hero while all the other main characters have terrible endings, but have Areo's victory in a form that would be unsatisfying to the few people who like him (e.g. instead of a final battle, he convinces the Others to go back home with the power of love or something) might come close.  Any other suggestions?

Jon becoming King and marrying Dany would probably piss everyone off.

From what I understand, people liking Dany tend to dislike Jon, and vice versa. Not to mention that the predictability of the end AND it's saccharine nature is sure to infuriate a good part of the fandom as well.

17 minutes ago, Sullen said:

From what I understand, people liking Dany tend to dislike Jon, and vice versa. Not to mention that the predictability of the end AND it's saccharine nature is sure to infuriate a good part of the fandom as well.

Are you kidding, that would make at least 50% of the fans ecstatic.

It is the ending I am hoping for

2 minutes ago, Seven-Eyed Crow said:

I think Jon will kill Dany near the end of ADOS to awaken Lightbringer, just like Azor Ahai killed Nissa Nissa. So i can't see an ending that involves Dany

That ending will make me not to touch the books ever again.

20 minutes ago, Sullen said:

While I think this ending would make a lot people mad, I still think a good percentage of people still enjoy the "perfect" ending. Personally, I'm not usually one for the perfect ending, but I want Dany and Jon to end up together. However, I want Dany to become Queen and marry Jon as opposed to Jon becoming King and marrying Dany. Kind of a deal in semantics. But indicates that Dany is the ruler as opposed to Jon. I'm all for women defying stereotypes and be competent rulers, not just someone's queen or lady. If it's the other way around I'd be disappointed.

As far as the OP, I don't think we could have an ending that would piss off everyone because you always have the contrarians who just want death and destruction for everyone or want something completely unreasonable like Damphair sitting the Iron Throne.  

5 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

That ending will make me not to touch the books ever again.

haha same :/ Sort of poetic, mimicing the original Azor Ahair.

I want to see Dany sit the Iron Throne, maybe even marry Jon? If he is half Targaryen/Stark, then what a better way to merge the houses, as well as it is Targaryen norm.

But, to what I said about the Jon killing Dany thing, that would be the worse ending EVER.Definetly piss everyone off!:angry:

I would be pissed if the books end at the same point where they began: with a king and a queen sitting on the Iron Throne, ruling over the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. What the hell was all of this sturm und drang for, if they only end up at the beginning?

Jon becomes the God-Savior of Mankind. Dany becomes the Wisest Queen. The whole world suffer epiphany and discover that slavery is bad and there is no economical backlash and crisis. Arya lives in Winterfell. Rickon becomes lord of Skagos. Bran is the good greenseer who watches all. Jaime repents and turns to be Lord of Westerlands with Brienne as his lady.…

And the world is frosted in sugar, not snow. Everyone dies from diabetes.

Archived