Pee Wee's Big Comeback

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Recently my wife and I have found ourselves buying DVD's of movies and cartoons to keep our one year old grandson entertained. Strangely enough, his favorite movie (by a longshot) is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I mean he's absolutely captivated by it. It's the one bit of video entertainment that he will sit and watch for more than say 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch. That got me to looking for other bits of Pee-Wee related material for him. Turns out you can get the old Pee-Wee's Playhouse Saturday Morning episodes on DVD through Amazon and the like. Anyways, long story short, Paul Reubens has a new Pee-Wee special coming out on Netflix in March. The New York Times just did an interesting article on Reubens as well...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/magazine/pee-wees-big-comeback.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=4&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

11 minutes ago, Richard Writhen said:

Wasn't he in the original Buffy movie too?

Pee Wee's Playhouse was some annoying though ...

Yeah, he was the antagonist in the Buffy movie.

Pee Wee's Playhouse was certainly odd, but was pretty unique for its time. One of those children's shows that isn't exactly a children's show, if you know what I mean. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, he was the antagonist in the Buffy movie.

Pee Wee's Playhouse was certainly odd, but was pretty unique for its time. One of those children's shows that isn't exactly a children's show, if you know what I mean. 

It was different. Mechalekahai mekhalekawhatever, word of the day, that fricking genie's head ...

1 minute ago, Richard Writhen said:

Well yeah its funny how no one was really all that shocked when he had his "little" scandal ...

True, but it sure crushed the hell out of his career. I guess that's to be expected when your primary claim to fame involves children's entertainment, and your best known character is essentially an adult 10 year old.

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

True, but it sure crushed the hell out of his career. I guess that's to be expected when your primary claim to fame involves children's entertainment, and your best known character is essentially an adult 10 year old.

I'll wait for his autobiography. I don't usually read them, but that should be interesting ...

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I grew up watching Pee Wee's Playhouse and Big Adventure was a movie I watched pretty much constantly throughout my childhood. I still remember how one day, suddenly, I was getting made fun of in elementary school for wearing my Pee Wee Herman raincoat. Not that anybody had any clue why they were making whatever jokes they were making or what they actually meant. It was a damn shame what happened to his career.

Archived