Better Call Saul

RumHam

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

Likewise, Chuck is at first sympathetic, then comes off as a bitter asshole, and then even later we see his concerns about Jimmy are well-founded.

So what explains why Jimmy did not show Main the commercial before airing it? He thought it would be rejected? Or he knew they would flip out and wanted to do something self-destructive anyway?

I find it hard to like Chuck or sympathize with his concerns about Jimmy when they don't seem to come from a well-meaning place. Chuck and Kim both know what Jimmy can be like, but she encourages him to be better while Chuck's just trying to catch him making a mistake. 

About the commercial, I imagine he thought that the bosses would just slow things down. He knew that his video would be a success and that waiting for others would be pointless, so he went ahead and did it hoping to surprise them with a major win. It'll be interesting to see if he doubles-down on this after getting chewed out or if he tries to 'better' himself.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Both of them are incredibly smart but can't help poking the bear.

The video thing made me think of Mike's rant at Walt.

We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had Fring. We had a lab. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, cooked and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Pretty much. I didn't understand why he wouldn't run that ad by his boss before airing it. I wouldn't think he would have had a problem with it. I guess Jimmy thought he would based off the generic ad the firm previously ran. That or like you said, Jimmy just can't help himself. 

Seemed pretty clear to me that Jimmy was told by his assistant that they would have countless meetings on the ad before finally approving it, based on the previous ad they did.  So Jimmy said screw it let's ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

2 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

The video thing made me think of Mike's rant at Walt.

We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had Fring. We had a lab. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, cooked and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now.

While Mike was right about Walt's huge ego, that quotation is wholly inaccurate. Walt actually had to kill Gus to save his and Jesse's life. And the reason the animosity began in the first place was because Walt ran over two of his drug dealers, who in turn would have killed Jesse. It all boils down to Gus ordering (probably) the murder of Andrea's brother back in season three. So Gus dug his own grave.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Seemed pretty clear to me that Jimmy was told by his assistant that they would have countless meetings on the ad before finally approving it, based on the previous ad they did.  So Jimmy said screw it let's ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

It's starting to look like that's Jimmy's mantra

I think in the back of his mind, he knew they'd probably reject it. And he was too proud of it, too sure it would work. It's worth remembering, Saul in BB was never really unhappy with his life. He seemed to enjoy cutting corners, and probably had a lot of fun coming up with the bus plan, the commercial. He wanted to see it through. Also, I think having an assistant waiting on him hand and foot has gone to his head, he probably really did think that client outreach being 'his department' would actually protect him to some extent.

I do love the show, but it's always at the back of my mind that I really don't want to watch another inevitable downward spiral like BB. They simply have to do at least a season post BB, the character has no conclusion otherwise. But I can't really picture what I'd like to see.......if he can't even risk calling the cops to open the back door of a mall, he can't ever have a practice again surely. So where is there for him to go?

The thing about this show is... we *all* know whats coming.... even in the little decisions Jimmy makes (was anyone surprise when he ran the commercial without permission?) ... and yet because of Bob Odenkirk and Johnathan Banks, and how they can make us understand what they're thinking.... it's still an awesome, fun-as-hell ride.... even when I know what's coming, it still makes me cringe....lol

Yet another good episode.

Amazing how this show can take something as low-stakes as Jimmy waiting for the phone to ring and still create so much tension around it. I'm pretty sure they could devote half an episode to a ravenous Jimmy ordering a pizza delivery. sweating over how long its taking to arrive and still have me watching on the edge of my seat.

I'm very confused with the whole timeline with Kaylee, Mike's granddaughter. In BB (which took place in the 2008-2010 range) she's basically like a 5 year old. Yet in this last episode, she looked even older than her BB version. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Jimmy's first paycheck was dated 2002, and this isn't even a year later, so Kaylee shouldn't even be born yet. (Not that it's possible for her to be born more than 9 months after her father died.)

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I do love the show, but it's always at the back of my mind that I really don't want to watch another inevitable downward spiral like BB. They simply have to do at least a season post BB, the character has no conclusion otherwise. But I can't really picture what I'd like to see.......if he can't even risk calling the cops to open the back door of a mall, he can't ever have a practice again surely. So where is there for him to go?

Not every show has to follow the entire life of a character to complete their arc. While I'd be disappointed if we never get episodes of him running hid dodgy law firm it could, just as easily, end with him opening said law firm. Although we'd then question why the show was called "better Call Saul" but that's a valid accusation already.

21 hours ago, The Mance said:

I think he knew they would reject it, but also knew that it would be extremely effective and, maybe naively, thought that Davis & Main would agree that the ends justified the means.  I don't really see it as deliberately self-destructive, either.  More like a sincere overreach in good faith.  So when they shit all over him and his wildly successful but unauthorized $700 gold mine it will really fuel his disillusionment and bitterness.

No, I really don't think they would have like his video at all.  Remember, the Davis & Main partners agonized for days (weeks?) over the exact pattern and dispersion or w/e for the background of their one and only commercial.  They probably think very highly of their production.  To teh point of considering it a step above, or apart from the generic law firm commercial.  Which I would guess they generally deem to be crass embarrassments to their profession.  Suitable for Saul Goodman type, ambulance-chasing, hucksters.  

You have the right of it, Mance.   Jimmy REALLY wants to do well and knew exactly how to bring in more clients to the class action suit.  And, frankly, he's pretty brilliant at what he does.  That may even fuel some of the weird dynamic the McGill brothers have.  We watched Chuck painstakingly practice that piano piece (too much alliteration!) over and over with the metronome - well, that's how he goes about his life.  Everything he's accomplished has been hard fought for and won, whereas his more "likeable" brother seems to have things land in his lap, in Chuck's mind anyway.   You could see the resentment that crossed his face when he said words to the effect, "Everyone likes Jimmy" when they were discussing the potential clients and how they wanted his brother.

As for Kim, she's gone out on the limb to help Jimmy, and I have a feeling this whole ad business is going to reflect poorly on her and her judgment.  Just how badly it affects her future remains to be seen.

Obviously another good episode. Loved his little theatre act on the bus. And, yes he didn't solicit the other clients, they just happened to overhear since he had to speak so loudly due to her hearing issues!

As soon as the commercial thing popped up you knew he was in trouble. As soon as the partner said "in general I am open to it", Jimmy heard, go do it. He also knew it would get shot down by the firm, not because it wouldn't work, but because it appears as unseemly for this prestigious law firm. So, Jimmy being Jimmy, he flipped the light switch and did it.

Mike stars again. Hopefully they keep this up with both of them sharing the screen time so much. If he wasn't in the show as much as he is the show would suffer greatly. It's funny how his down fall is helping others selflessly.

Kim likely will have had enough after the commercial flack gets out. He lied to her face about it and told her that he had their blessing, right after she laid down the law about making her look bad. Thinking she cuts him off now.

21 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Yeah this is what I thought.

18 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Obviously another good episode. Loved his little theatre act on the bus. And, yes he didn't solicit the other clients, they just happened to overhear since he had to speak so loudly due to her hearing issues!

As soon as the commercial thing popped up you knew he was in trouble. As soon as the partner said "in general I am open to it", Jimmy heard, go do it. He also knew it would get shot down by the firm, not because it wouldn't work, but because it appears as unseemly for this prestigious law firm. So, Jimmy being Jimmy, he flipped the light switch and did it.

Mike stars again. Hopefully they keep this up with both of them sharing the screen time so much. If he wasn't in the show as much as he is the show would suffer greatly. It's funny how his down fall is helping others selflessly.

Kim likely will have had enough after the commercial flack gets out. He lied to her face about it and told her that he had their blessing, right after she laid down the law about making her look bad. Thinking she cuts him off now.

Maybe, but they may drag it out a little more, they have a pretty strong bond, she obviously cares a lot for him, considering she was involved w/him when he was living in the nail salon, LOL.  It may take one or two more fucks ups for her to totally cut ties w/him.  I don't think D&M will fire him next week, they will probably give him 1 more chance, which he will also fuck up. LOL.

I agree the combination of Mike & Jimmy is important to making the show work, I thought the critics who are now calling it a legal show aren't getting it.  It's not a "legal show" just because the main character is a lawyer.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought the critics who are now calling it a legal show aren't getting it.  It's not a "legal show" just because the main character is a lawyer.

Critics are calling it a "legal show"??  Wow.  Maybe they ought to watch it. 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Hah, I didn't know he was in trouble!  I dunno what this says about me, but when the guy was all pissed about not seeing it, I was like "What?  You told him he ran the client outreach department and could make his own decisions!"  I had to rewind to confirm, that in fact, was not how he had put it to Jimmy in the meeting.  

Well, Mike is officially walking to the dark side. While you could argue that he's been there awhile, I don't think so. Not hitman dark at least. I know he killed the two cops, but that was revenge. 

I believe this is the beginning of the end for Jimmy and the birth of Saul. I forsee him getting fired for the commercial, losing Kim and embracing Saul. Which I thought might take more time and maybe it will. But, it's going to be hard to watch mistake after mistake like this. I cringed when he received the call from Main. I feel bad for the guy. Has a lot a great ideas and is good at what he does. He just doesn't do anything by the book and it's going to be hard, for me, to watch it all spiral out of control for the man.

Well, Mike is officially walking to the dark side. While you could argue that he's been there awhile, I don't think so. Not hitman dark at least. I know he killed the two cops, but that was revenge. 

I believe this is the beginning of the end for Jimmy and the birth of Saul. I forsee him getting fired for the commercial, losing Kim and embracing Saul. Which I thought might take more time and maybe it will. But, it's going to be hard to watch mistake after mistake like this. I cringed when he received the call from Main. I feel bad for the guy. Has a lot a great ideas and is good at what he does. He just doesn't do anything by the book and it's going to be hard, for me, to watch it all spiral out of control for the man.

Another solid episode. Chuck was right...but he's still an ass. At the end of the day though, Jimmy is the one who must be held accountable for his actions. Jimmy is good at what he does but when it comes to choosing between doing it by the book or taking the easy (wrong) way, he will inevitably choose the latter. I hope that Jimmy's transformation into Saul isn't dragged out too much. Ditto for Mike becoming a hitman/enforcer. I hope that by the end of the season Jimmy will have embraced the Saul persona. There is definitely a story to tell post BB timeline otherwise those cold opens would be rather pointless.

On 2016/03/02 at 4:13 AM, Bridgeburners said:

I'm very confused with the whole timeline with Kaylee, Mike's granddaughter. In BB (which took place in the 2008-2010 range) she's basically like a 5 year old. Yet in this last episode, she looked even older than her BB version. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Jimmy's first paycheck was dated 2002, and this isn't even a year later, so Kaylee shouldn't even be born yet. (Not that it's possible for her to be born more than 9 months after her father died.)

Noticed this as well. IIRC, Kaylee was around 9 or 10 in BB, so she should be 2-3 years old here.

I am only expecting this to be a four season show, five at most. Thinking this season will end with him basically being Saul. Next season would be all about his time as Saul then the fourth season would bridge BB and the life he lives now.

Archived