Better Call Saul

RumHam

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

Not at that point - but then sometimes being loyal means having to choose between loyalties too. 

He didn't have to choose. It wouldn't have been disloyal to not interfere. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Stone said:

He didn't have to choose. It wouldn't have been disloyal to not interfere. 

He has loyalty to the firm and to his clients.  Loyalty that has never been betrayed or violated, as far as we know.  It's natural and correct for him to want to protect them.

The opposite is true with Jimmy.

4 hours ago, Commodore said:

A Marxist holds the view that whomever is more powerful is in the wrong, no matter the circumstance.

Theft, fraud, lying; none of it matters because Chuck is rich, powerful and a "dick".

Yup, we all hate Chuck because we're a bunch of commies. Not because the character is written to be kinda of a dick. Right, but still unlikable. 

Seriously how do you even consider Chuck powerful in his condition? He can't even function on his own. We just saw him totally powerless to stop what was happening to him in the hospital. Jimmy could legally take control of his life and have him committed at any moment. With all the money Jimmy has made lately from his Sandpiper finders fee and the bonus from Davis & Main I don't think there's a huge economic divide between them either.

32 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

He has loyalty to the firm and to his clients.  Loyalty that has never been betrayed or violated, as far as we know.  It's natural and correct for him to want to protect them.

The opposite is true with Jimmy.

You misunderstood my point. Someone commented that Jimmy had loyalty to both Chuck and Kim, and they were in conflict so it excused his behavior towards Chuck. I was pointing out that Jimmy didn't really have an excuse of conflicting loyalties since he could have not interfered in the situation at all. 

58 minutes ago, Ken Stone said:

You misunderstood my point. Someone commented that Jimmy had loyalty to both Chuck and Kim, and they were in conflict so it excused his behavior towards Chuck. I was pointing out that Jimmy didn't really have an excuse of conflicting loyalties since he could have not interfered in the situation at all. 

Ahhh!  yes, I misunderstood.  Apologies!

Gotcha, and i agree. 

11 hours ago, Bridgeburners said:

When Mike was buying the sniper rifle, after they were talking for five minutes about shooting from a very large distance while unnoticed, and possibly shooting through a car window, I was waiting for the salesman to ask, "we strictly talking defense here?"

You may have missed something then, this guy knows exactly what the weapons he sells are used for. I believe he is the same guy that sells Walt the 50 cal in BB.

The rifle itself is just a normal rifle that anyone can own, and surprisingly they were shooting a short distance. The practice shots were like half of the actual shot he planned on taking, which is not smart. You have to zero a gun in at the right distance or as close as you can.

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

You may have missed something then, this guy knows exactly what the weapons he sells are used for. I believe he is the same guy that sells Walt the 50 cal in BB.

The rifle itself is just a normal rifle that anyone can own, and surprisingly they were shooting a short distance. The practice shots were like half of the actual shot he planned on taking, which is not smart. You have to zero a gun in at the right distance or as close as you can.

It was a joke. Because he said that same thing to Walt, but Mike's purchase is clearly not for defense.

So, I just binge watched this season, and all in all I would have to say it was somewhat disappointing. The final episode was indicative of the entire season in that nothing much really happened. Mike didn't get a shot off, and we have no idea where the plot is going to go with Chuck and his brother.

Although the acting and directing are stellar, I found myself a little board of hour upon hour of office politics. Even the underworld with Mike didn't seem as menacing as last season although I did like the addition of a Hector before his stroke. All in all, this season really suffered as a shadow of what Breaking Bad was.  

On April 23, 2016 at 0:00 AM, Howdyphillip said:

So, I just binge watched this season, and all in all I would have to say it was somewhat disappointing. The final episode was indicative of the entire season in that nothing much really happened. Mike didn't get a shot off, and we have no idea where the plot is going to go with Chuck and his brother.

Although the acting and directing are stellar, I found myself a little board of hour upon hour of office politics. Even the underworld with Mike didn't seem as menacing as last season although I did like the addition of a Hector before his stroke. All in all, this season really suffered as a shadow of what Breaking Bad was.  

I thought the season was really excellent, but I watched every week, pining for a new episode each Tuesday. Perhaps binge watching affects how we view shows.  I binge watched the first 3 1/2 seasons of Breaking Bad before I caught up, and I thought watching episode after episode ratcheted up the intensity level of an already very intense show.  

It's either the binge watching explanation, or I'll be forced to examine all my aesthetic sensibilities.  

After reflecting on S2 for a couple of weeks, I'm left wondering whether this TV drama really stands out from the herd.  Jimmy's relatively small story of family conflict, career struggles, love crusade and struggling to be the person he is expected to be and sowing the seeds of his own downfall all feel like very conventional themes.  By contrast, Walter White had to face his imminent mortality, wrestle with his societal role of provider and protector, exorcise his demons of resentment and emasculation and then, by shedding every lass scrap of his humanity, step outside of all societal bounds and find the powerful persona he always wanted.  BCS has a much smaller and more conventional tale.  Although it is executed very well, I don't think Jimmy will be as compelling or memorable as Walter.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

After reflecting on S2 for a couple of weeks, I'm left wondering whether this TV drama really stands out from the herd.  Jimmy's relatively small story of family conflict, career struggles, love crusade and struggling to be the person he is expected to be and sowing the seeds of his own downfall all feel like very conventional themes.  By contrast, Walter White had to face his imminent mortality, wrestle with his societal role of provider and protector, exorcise his demons of resentment and emasculation and then, by shedding every lass scrap of his humanity, step outside of all societal bounds and find the powerful persona he always wanted.  BCS has a much smaller and more conventional tale.  Although it is executed very well, I don't think Jimmy will be as compelling or memorable as Walter.

I think you stated it perfectly.  BCS is excellent, but at this point, it is not as compelling as BB.  The only time I thought BCS came close to the same level of intensity and pathos was the opening sequence of Season One, Episode One. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2016 at 0:26 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

Chuck definitely has a mental illness and has been suffering from it since we met him.  Hypersensitivity to electricity isn't a real thing, but the symptoms people experience are real.  They just happen to be related to something else.  

Without thinking on it any deeper, I would say there's some agoraphobia, social anxiety, depression, and OCD going on, at the very least.  

Well, Chuck could always move here to be with kindred spirits/fellow sufferers.

• 6 months later...

Archived