Better Call Saul

RumHam

Considering most people asked 'will Walter White ever be in it?!' when the show started, I think now I actively don't want that to happen. It'd just induce a lot of rage for killing Mike. I did love BB, but something about this show feels.....I dunno, healthier, brighter? Things got pretty bleak as BB went on. My only remaining concern is that they don't prolong his pre-Saul era too long just for the sake of it, I'd much rather move to post BB and see him (under a different name, I guess) setting up a practice, hopefully an honourable one.

I'm learning the piano, and looking out for fairly easy pieces so I looked up the piece that Chuck plays at the beginning; it's 'Sicilienne' by Gabriel Faure, a duet for cello and piano. At first I thought it was a metaphor for how he's getting along without Jimmy (playing half a piece) but the camera lingers on the name Rebecca Bois at the top of the sheet music. Maybe there was a cellist by that name in Chuck's past? 

Did they ever confirm that (spoilering juuust in case for some reason someone is watching this without having finished Breaking Bad)

Walter died in the finale? That was my read of it, so I don't see how he could appear in any meaningful way. They could have him interact with Nacho or Kim or Chuck, but not Saul or Mike. Or now that I think about it he could appear in a flashback in a post-Breaking Bad episode.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Did they ever confirm that (spoilering juuust in case for some reason someone is watching this without having finished Breaking Bad)

Hidden Content

Given the nature of Better Call Saul, wouldn't the timeline have to eventually catch up with Breaking Bad?

For all we know, the final scene of the last episode could be Saul meeting Walt and Jessie for the first time.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Given the nature of Better Call Saul, wouldn't the timeline have to eventually catch up with Breaking Bad?

Yeah, it will eventually catch up. I think someone figured out how many years before Breaking Bad this was all happening, but I can't remember. 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

For all we know, the final scene of the last episode could be Saul meeting Walt and Jessie for the first time.

Could be, but I think they'll do more stuff that takes place after Breaking Bad. Either an entire season set after Breaking Bad, or at least an episode or two. I don't see the point of this seasons opening sequence if they're never going to continue Saul's story from there. 

I dunno how they'd handle the period where he was Walt's lawyer. Presumably by skipping over it. Or maybe with one episode showing their meeting and/or other major moments from Saul's perspective. 

Edit: article discussing possibility of more stuff set post-Breaking Bad:

http://screencrush.com/better-call-saul-breaking-bad-gene-episode/

We have talked about many different things. We talk about doing a whole Gene episode. It’s really wide open and we’re not locking ourselves into anything. We might never see again, but we probably will see Gene at the beginning of season three if we do get picked up for season three. I think there’s gonna be more Gene, but I’m not sure how much. I think at some point there will be at least a Gene episode, if not the finale then somewhere along the way that ties a bow around this whole package that we have of Jimmy McGill, Saul Goodman and Gene the Cinnabon Manager.

I doubt we will see Walt because he didn't know Saul and had never heard of him until he & Jesse went to see him, we might see Jesse and of course could see Gus also some time down the line, once Mike fully embraces the dark side and ups his NM game enough to be noticed.

I'm not so sure that BCS will overlap with the timeline of BB unless the show does a time jump(s). IIRC, Walt's date of birth is 7th September 1959 and the pilot episode was Walt's 50th birthday, so the events of BB kicked off on 7th September 2009. In the pilot episode of BCS, Jimmy holds up a paycheck showing the date 13th May 2002. The first time Saul shows up in BB is in season 2 and he seems to have been established for quite some time already. I think that the show will go up to the point where Saul establishes his practice - perhaps a little beyond - and then we will skip ahead to beyond the BB timeline. I still hold out hope that Gus makes a cameo appearance or two though.

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm not so sure that BCS will overlap with the timeline of BB unless the show does a time jump(s). IIRC, Walt's date of birth is 7th September 1959 and the pilot episode was Walt's 50th birthday, so the events of BB kicked off on 7th September 2009. In the pilot episode of BCS, Jimmy holds up a paycheck showing the date 13th May 2002. The first time Saul shows up in BB is in season 2 and he seems to have been established for quite some time already. I think that the show will go up to the point where Saul establishes his practice - perhaps a little beyond - and then we will skip ahead to beyond the BB timeline. I still hold out hope that Gus makes a cameo appearance or two though.

If that timeline is correct, then we probably won't see Jesse unless BCS runs for at least 5 years, if they're paying attention to the timing, he'd be too young to show up until a couple of years? before BB started.  We could definitely see Gus, though.  I'll settle for Gus, I told my TV screen many times "just kill Walt now, you were right about him", LOL.

near the first meeting, later in this show's run, they could have Mike at least encountering Walt unbeknownst to Walt's knowledge. Saul might not get to meet him directly but could somehow be involved.

I think a Gene episode somewhere would be very welcome. Not sure if I'd want a whole season of Gene unless some of Saul's old spark remains. As it is he largely looks like a broken man and I don't know how entertained I'd be by that. It's pretty tough now, knowing how things pan out. Not as bad as watching Mike though.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

near the first meeting, later in this show's run, they could have Mike at least encountering Walt unbeknownst to Walt's knowledge. Saul might not get to meet him directly but could somehow be involved.

I think a Gene episode somewhere would be very welcome. Not sure if I'd want a whole season of Gene unless some of Saul's old spark remains. As it is he largely looks like a broken man and I don't know how entertained I'd be by that. It's pretty tough now, knowing how things pan out. Not as bad as watching Mike though.

Jimmy will never be able to maintain himself as Gene, in my opinion.  That's probably a bad thing though.  Although, who is looking for him?  The Feds would want to talk to him but can they prove he did anything illegal?  The cartel?  With Walt dead, Lydia dead, both gangs dead, Gus dead, the top cartel leaders dead, Mike dead, who is there left to even inform on him?

I guess Skyler could inform on him. and Huell

I could see Jessie and Emlio/"Crazy Eight" being involved with Nacho in some off the books capacity similar to the deal he had with The Cobbler where Tuco doesn't know about it. (I love how Nacho is just doomed to be brutally murdered by Tuco at some point for his secret dealings, and we just don't know when*.) but Jessie knows enough about Tuco to suggest him to Walter.

I'm sure somewhere someone has pitched the idea of an episode that largely consists mike watching Walter during the events of the Breaking Bad episode called "Better Call Saul." Filling in the gap between Walt and Jessie dragging Saul to the desert, and Saul showing up at Walt's high school with the upper hand. Mike would give some scathing opinion of Walt, but Saul would ultimately be tempted by the money potential. 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I could see them going the route of the final season of Boardwalk Empire. The current day plot interspersed with flashbacks to show the end of "Jimmy." Or vice versa.

And for the record I think a season where Saul runs parallel to Breaking Bad's entire run would be a very brave move. Each episode would presumably be part Saul's version one of the Breaking Bad plots, but also more. After all he didn't close down his practice when Walt started paying him. Still nobody wants to make a show where the characters mood is regularly effected by more (almost inherently more interesting) events that we saw on Breaking Bad. I mean don't get me wrong I'd love it. and I think Gillian's team is up to the task. But we're still talking about a medium where they feel compelled to remind you what happened last episode. I don't see them counting on people to remember what happened on Breaking Bad years ago. 

*But we know it was probably shortly before Saul's introduction on Breaking Bad, as Saul tries to blame things on Ignacio. 

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I was just about to bring that up. I was reading AP's Reddit AMA the other day, missed questions by an hour, and saw that answer. I'm not sure what to make of his answer. It seems too early for Jesse, unless he's dealing with someone else and not Saul. Or even a shot of Jesse driving by in his Torcel hatchback or something. He would be pretty young though. While I would love Jesse to make an appearance, I think Aaron was just trolling.

4 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I think the show will finish, whenever that might be, when Walter White first walks into his office. They've giving themselves plenty of room to do 5 or 6 seasons. And, well, we all know the story after that.

I disagree. I think they're missing a great opportunity for some overlap in the final season(s) of BCS if they don't include Saul's perspective on his time with Heisenberg. Remember, Saul's entire time with Walt and Jessie spanned only about 1.5 years.

Vince Gilligan stated in interviews he wants Jimmy to "stick around," so I don't know if that means we won't see full on Saul Goodman this season, but I hope we do. I would like to see this show follow Mike to his employment with Gustav Fring, Saul hiring Huell, him getting that office with the constitution on the wall, etc. 

Well when the first season began it was 2002, right? So that's a little bit to go til the storylines converge. I'm sure Saul had his practice open awhile before meeting those guys. And, I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it, I would. I just don't know wether or not they'll decide to go that route. I was just making a guess is all.

Honestly, I don't want to see an entire season of BCS overlapping with Saul's time as Walt's lawyer. The show will however need to explain how Jimmy ends up as Gene, so there will be some overlap. Perhaps Cranston and/or Paul make an appearance for a few episodes just to bridge that gap. I don't think that Gilligan will drag this out. I've always thought that this is no more than a four season show.

I didn't need thi sshow to make me hate Walt. I can't fucking STAND him. HATE HIM. Hate him. HATE him. and Mike was always totally one of my favourite characters but man oh man is the Walt hate bubbling up again every time I see Mike. At least he can exist in this show. 

Archived