Are the Weirwoods a Colony of Clonal Trees?

FireflySaint

If the weirwoods trees are clonal, it's possible the idea for that may be very local to GRRM.  He lives in New Mexico, a state that borders Colorado and Utah where some of the largest clonal aspen tree stands are.  So GRRM has examples that are local to him and not far away at all.  

Plus New Mexico has many quaking aspen trees of it's own.   :)   I wouldn't mind if the weirwoods were all one organism, that would be an interesting idea and if GRRM could work it out that would be pretty cool. 

edt; quaking aspen trees have white bark too.  Don't think their sap is red tho.   

3 hours ago, LongRider said:

The aspen tree of North America is clonal and yet separate trees are planted as part of ornamental horticultural in yards and such, so I found this   "Aspen reproduces both by seeds and by root sprouts, though sprouting is the most common and successful form of reproduction. "  

So in theory, a weirwood tree could be clonal, but are they?    :dunno:

edt; if the weirwood trees are one large organism in the story, my view would be that is because GRRM would have a reason for that, and not because of what weir or weird might or might not mean what the many myths might be.  just my opinion tho.   :)

Right, and I don't see a thematic reason why he would need them to be clonal.  Psionically linked plants and animals are a common recurring theme in his stories, but I can't think of any where they are all one organism except maybe "A Song for Lya" (short for Lyanna!), it's not quite clear.

6 hours ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Right, and I don't see a thematic reason why he would need them to be clonal.  Psionically linked plants and animals are a common recurring theme in his stories, but I can't think of any where they are all one organism except maybe "A Song for Lya" (short for Lyanna!), it's not quite clear.

Like you, I don't really see a thematic reason for clonal trees as the weirnet seems to exist whether the trees are clonal or not. 

Archived