Who is your single absolute favourite character - & ---WHY---???

Thuckey

epic_game_of_thrones_by_heroforpain-d64v

We all have our favourite characters in this series for one reason or another.

But what makes YOUR favourite charactor the abosolute BEST in the series? What specfic reasons make him/her more superior compared to the other great characters in ASOIAF?

game_of_thrones___character_wallpaper_by

Don't just tell us WHO the best character is. Tell us WHY they are the best in the best possible explanation you can provide. 

asoiaf_characters_by_themico-d63qmdd.jpg

Personally my favourite character and this may seem quite medoicre but it is Tyrion Lannister.

However the main reason why I like him is because he his much more central to the largest percentage of the plot that any other character. As in, he, out of any other character, has experienced much more of the world and its current events as related to the plot than any other. He has been to the wall, been in the thick of the seige of King's Landing, and more recently traveled over to Essos and will have a rendezvous with Daenarys Targaryn. WHO ELSE has been through and experienced such a relevant variety of the plotline of this entire series? Not only that, but in such a gray series he is quite possibly the "grayest" character of them all. Especially in the onset of the series in the "Stark vs Lannister" mood. He was the most neutral character of the bunch untill circumstances forced his hand to defend his family.

With a series like ASOIAF, having such diversity of events and characters and the shear SIZE of this endeavour it is utterly astounding that GRRM has figured out a way to make 1 single character so enriched and thick in the plot of so many different other storylines in a series of many while still remaining consistent and believable. While only making in the least an appearance in events such as Jon Snow's arrival at the wall, it still implies a greater force at work, that this dwarf and seemingly insignificant entity (at least in the eyes of those around him) ultimately impacts the fate and history of their fictional world so far (in my opinion) much more than any other could possible claim. Even if that feat is just justified by his mere attendance in each major plot thread and theme, it still is impressive to say the least.

So, how about you guys- what are some of the specific reason why your favourite character hold such praise?

Sansa. She's a character who is inherently kind, and who behaves realistically for a child her age. She is not a genius, but she is clever, and she just reads... real in a way Arya and Bran and some other characters don't. And while I do love Arya (I really do) there's just something that draws me to the girl who likes lemon cakes and stories and tries to do what she's been taught, even though the rules have changed.

Sansa is brave in her own way, and I like that she can be strong without needing to physically fight her enemies. That's rare in fantasy, and I really appreciate it.

Jaime. He loved Tyrion when no one else did. He helped Brienne into the boat instead of bashing her head in. He's witty, doesn't like women being hurt and at great risk to himself has went out of his way to prevent it. He's someone that was good (once) and had high expectations, got them dashed didn't give a crap anymore because why should he, but now is trying to get back to the good guy he once was.

I think the biggest thing about Jaime is he actually sees there IS a problem. Most of  the people in ASOIAF don't. They think the way they are thinking/what they are doing is justified. He realizes that what he's doing had lead him way away from where he wants to be.

Sansa... To quote myself...

When I am asked "why Sansa?", I usually remind myself of the Jaime's answer on the subject: We don't choose whom we love... As someone who spent the past two years, passionately defending Sansa from every misconception out there, I realize one thing... I can relate to her. I can relate to this alone girl, who without anyone, is trying to survive in harshest possible situation. Sansa is not just a "Disney princess" archetype subverted in most unusual ways, she represents something very deep and humane in all of us. When you don't allow all the torture to change your essence, when you find the courage even though you are terrified, when you reject someone in a way that leaves no doubt to what it means, all of that represents strength in a bit unusual package.

And that is the deal, right? Have we forgotten that there are many ways to be strong, many ways to be courageous? Picking a sword and fighting certainly is one way, but there are other ways. In the time of relatively great liberties, have we forgotten that not so long ago, and perhaps even now, there are people we should empathize with. In the time of progress, have we lost the basic notion of being empathetic to a girl who is bound by society norms and unfortunately her wrong decision-making rooted in flawed system? That is what the true questions we all need to answer. To see how she grabbed the first chance she got to escape, how all the beatings didn't make her heart turn into stone, how she would rather risk her life for someone else, to see all of that is to understand Sansa. To appreciate that, to appreciate who she really is, is the way to love her. For Sansa, as strange as it sounds, is truly the very best of us. That little place in our hearts that allow us not to lose ourselves in midst of horrors of the world.

As for my male perspective, I come from nation that always appreciated mothers, sisters, and sometimes even wifes. The quote in my signature is from one of the best written pieces in my language, and it speaks about sister lamenting brother. But, as much as brother was a great hero who was cowardly killed, it is the sister that epitomes the love and strength. Naturally, it is a bit stereotypical view on women (the epoch is published in 1848.) but nonetheless, it shows true strength and ability not to move on, but to restore and continue the legacy. Yes, these women were always someone's sisters, but they remained remembered as the most beautiful symbols of our literature. And that is how in traditional patriarchal view of Westeros, Sansa is seen: "daughter of traitor, sister of rebelled lord". But, her emphasis on people wanting her, of marrying to someone who will love her, that is a step of independence. That is not so far from our own desires to be on our own, not to be only someone's child or relative. To be known, loved for us... And, you tell me, is that truly something only for the girls? Or is that something that surpasses the silly gender boundaries?

So, being Sansa fan is a job of a true man. And every man who dismisses Sansa for being the girl with interests that he can't relate to, should remember that the greatest victory is accepting different pepople and embrace them. Seeing thing behind the girl in love with prince, below the mask of courtesy armor, that is a task we should all aspire to...

Arya. She's a tomboy, a troublemaker, a younger less pretty sister, doesn't conform to gender roles, and has really low self-esteem. Exactly like me when I was a kid. 

Other than that she's bossy, resilient, clever, wild, down to earth, and extremely loyal. She makes friends easily and cares about the smallfolk. An unconventional and wolfy princess with a good heart. I can't help but love her. 

Only one. Damn thats tough. Hmm...

Arya she was just a little girl who liked to get dirty and play swordsand be like her father and older brothers. Under her fiery chaotic personality shes been worn down more than a child should ever have to be with interal grief and anger from being left alone in the world because of bitter lady fate. Shes so desensitised and far she thinks her family would be ashamed of her. :/

I'm in the Arya crowd. In her need for a pack you feel how only she is. You see Westeros and Bravvos through her young yet traumatized eyes, learning about the small folk. She is a tragic figure. Her chapters during the Red Wedding absolutely broke my heart.

She is the one that if GRRM decides to to not finish the series, I will write a letter, saying "What about Arya?" I need to know what happens to this scrappy, fierce, and witty little girl.

Sansa.

I like how she flies under the radar, but still accomplishes small acts of resistance to her circumstances. I like how she fools everybody, so they think they have her figured out but actually it's the other way around.

Partly I like her because she's so very disliked among much of the fandom and she comes in for a lot of criticism, hardly any of which is warranted.

Sansa, because in a series full of people fighting in wars, or for political gain, she's just a girl fighting to survive. IMO she's the most realistic character, and I think there's something about her that's present in most of us. How many people don't believe in fairytales when their children? Don't believe that the world is a happy and beautiful place? And Sansa story is one that most people share. It's a journey of realisation - about how harsh the world can be. In many ways, she's a product of her time. I can see quite clearly how Westerosi values inform Sansa's way of thinking. Yet, she's by far the character I relate most closely to. I like lots of the characters in the book, but if I'm honest with myself, Sansa's the one I'm most like. If I were in those situations, I feel like I might act very similarly to her - disassociating, taking on another identity. I think it's easy to dismiss Sansa because, maybe most people want to imagine themselves as the hero in the story - a great sword fighter, someone clever and witty, someone with power. I'd like to as well, but when I read Sansa's chapters, I recognise that this flawed, scared young girl, is a lot more similar to me than any sword fighter. And I love her for her it, because she represents a different kind of strength and bravery - one that isn't bold and brash, but one that's softer and empathetic, and she reminds me that its okay not to be a warrior, or a leader. There are other ways to be a hero. 

Casso, The King of Seals.

Just so random.  Pretty much declared him my favorite the first time he appeared.  Why is he the King?  Have we even been introduced to any other seals?  Is there more in store for him?  If nothing else, he's a friend of Arya.  Can't be fooled by trickery either.  He likes her no matter her disguise.

This is so boring, but it's Ned. Oh, Ned. He's a good father, a good husband, a good lord, a good general...and proceeds to make mistake after mistake that doom him and his family. His arc hooked me on the series, his death still upsets me.

Rhaegar. The most well rounded character while simultaneously the most polarizing. The man that men want to be and women want to be with. Can think with the thinkers, read with the readers,fight with the fighters, prophesize with the prophosizers, play with the musicians, sing with the singers, and certainly could have set new all time Westerosi world records in 'making the eight', if he had so chose. But most of all, see with the seers, with eyes to see the bigger picture, and it's impending doom. I feel for the misunderstood character that understood more than he wanted to. But by the end, his haters will be hushed, and hopefully he'll be vindicated.

Jon

I know all the reasons people hate on Jon. He does come across as a spoiled brat at first. But, he seems to me, more than anyone, someone that learns quickly that the world is not a nice place and that he will never get what he really wants. He does what is expected of him and asked of him at every turn. He remembers what he wants. He remembers what he misses. He wanted to be a Stark his entire life. But when given the choice between what he wants (Winterfell, Ygritte) and what is needed (Fighting the armies of the Others) he chooses what is needed. At every turn. Well, right up until the Pink Letter at least. But that makes me love him more. He rationalizes even that so he feels he's doing what needs to be done. I'm not always the most eloquent guy, but him being The Bastard of Winterfell and always feeling like an outsider, then him feeling he needs to send his friends away when he's LC. And him feeling like it's his lot in life to always be alone. But he accepts that because he knows someone needs to try to fight the Others, it's just very endearing. Maybe it's because I'm a bastard that never knew his father and I feel like I try to always do the right thing, even if my heart would have me do otherwise, and I can relate to his character in that way. I don't know. Either way, George is a genius.

Catelyn.

She's the POV I connect the most with, both intellectually and emotionally. Not because I *am* a lot like her, but because I feel that I *would* be like her under her upbringing and circumstances. And I really appreciate the way she reconsiders the notions she's lived by, once her world has been shattered: from duty as obedience to duty as active defence of her fundamental principle. It doesn't matter to me if it leads her to making mistakes; the proccess that lead to said mistakes is just awesome, and really, deeply relatable.

Jon.

Because with so many people wanting to be king or queen, and pushing everyone else to their death for the good cause. Just an excuse for their lust for power or revenge. But Jon wants nothing for himself. Because he is a bastard, a traitor at birth, in the eyes of the lordly. He just does what must be done to save the world, whatever the cost for him, regardless of his gains. A few others are like him. Mance, Davos, Sam, old Mormont... But none will matter without Jon.

Archived