Who is your single absolute favourite character - & ---WHY---???

Thuckey

1 hour ago, Grissom said:

Rhaegar? We can only judge him by his actions and his actions started a war.

You can judge how and what you want, the same privilege is afforded to me. That's my choice based on my judgement in my own way. It seems many people's favorites are ones that they most identify with, and I can see similarities with both his good and bad qualities within and without myself, for good and for bad. But thank you for your personal opinion on my personal opinion.

Theon because he is a walking freudian textbook. as a friend of mine from tumblr puts it, Theon's superpower is to make the worst life decisions and then manage to not learn a single thing from them. He fascinates me to no end, all his identity issues and defense mechanisms. Not to mention that he is the character that goes through the most extreme (and traumatic) changes.

On 2/16/2016 at 2:21 PM, INCBlackbird said:

Theon because he is a walking freudian textbook. as a friend of mine from tumblr puts it, Theon's superpower is to make the worst life decisions and then manage to not learn a single thing from them. He fascinates me to no end, all his identity issues and defense mechanisms. Not to mention that he is the character that goes through the most extreme (and traumatic) changes.

He's a close second for me indeed. But Tyrion is still superior in his own ways.. has gone through his own trials though not nearly as tough as Theons.

What I find sad is that they are both sons of a great lord, in fact Theon's status should technically be ABOVE Tyrion's seeing as he IS the heir to the Iron Islands - yet they both get treated like absolute shit. They are like the lowest of the high born and must experience all the cons of being highborn (there are many pros of course) but also the ridicule of being unaccepted socially. However Tyrion I think had a much better way of dealing with it and didn't phase him as much. Where in Theon's case things are pretty unfair, and also Tyrion makes great choices while Theon makes poor ones albeit they are much more human. I see why you find him so intriguing and I dare to say it's hard to pick between them!

edit: Tyrion actually is technically the denied heir of Casterly Rock I suppose, so that does in fact make them more equal somewhat. Though my reasoning was I had Jamie in mind - him being the firstborn son and still alive although he has taken the white relinquishing all inheritance so doesn't really matter. 

Lots of people have said Arya & Sansa so I'll pick... Bran.

First off, he's revolutionary. There aren't many narratives that feature a child struggling with their paralysis, but also loss and grief... and very real issues such as depression, self hatred and suicide ideation. 

Plus, he's so kind and wonderful, feels genuine empathy, is loving (sending sweets to Old Nan and Hodor), wanting to help people out. He loves his family so much. Also I'm very excited for the role he'll play in future events.

I don't know I really identify with him, as much as I do with Sansa and Arya.

I'm glad to be the first one picking up the mockingbird sigil! Come on I'm sure there are more fans of Petyr Baelish around here. Great character, love the way he understands the game and its tangles and how he is able to raise his status with every single movement he does. I really loved to see his homeland and how poor were his origins.

From nothing he gets great shots at the Riverlands, the Vale and/or the North.

Mance Rayder. Closest thing I've seen in the books to a true leader. Uniting all the tribes and fighting the "true" battle all while trying to save his people. He wasn't given his title and his last name means nothing. Also showed kindness time and again to jon when he probably didn't deserve it. 

Other favs: Littlefinger, Jon, Arya, Tormund, tyrion

I love all the characters, even the ones I "hate" (e.g. Ramsay Snow/Bolton) because GRRM has written them so well. I don't get this "war" on the boards between Stannis/Dany/Jon/whomever fanboys and -girls. I'm a fan of everybody, and things aren't mutually exclusive.

I love Davos, our Onion kn-nigget everyman, I love Jon Snow, the bastard brat who grows into leadership, I love the dragon queen, no matter how naive and frustrating she is. I loved Maester Luwin, I loved Syrio Forel, I love the Reader and I love Hodor. I guess I love all GRRM's characters.

I love characters who do not love each other. They want to kill each other, I want them to stay alive. Please, GRRM...  I think it's a mark of the greatness of GRRM's writing that he has us rooting for all these different people and houses, even if they conflict. Because conflict is real. The only thing worth writing about.

All that said, my very favourite character is Jaime. OK, so for the first two books we only saw him through hostile eyes. His cynical speech to Catelyn in ACOK ("they make you swear and swear..." and his graphic telling of the end of Rickard and Brandon Stark) is key to understanding Jaime.

He's had some time to think about his life, and realises it's shit.

His sword hand, his identity, got chopped off. GRRM gives us a wonderful insight into a newly cripple trying to make his way. It's the first time in his life that Jaime actually has to think before he acts.

He tries his very best to quieten down the Riverlands and end the war, while upholding his vow to Cat Stark. Aah, Jaime, it's all gonna blow up in yer face. Yer no Tywin, aunt Genna knew.

My favourite character is Jaime, because he isn't the knight in shining armour. Every time he's led an army has ended in disaster. Him captured. The lion of Lannister? More like the kitten, even before he lost the sword hand.

But Jaime thinks about the vows. More than anybody. Poor guy, nobody has broken a greater vow than he did. He'll die before the end, and I'll cry, but he'll be the only one who understands the vows, or rather, their futility.

He'll know, and the tragedy is that no-one else will.

On 19-2-2016 at 3:55 PM, Thuckey said:

He's a close second for me indeed. But Tyrion is still superior in his own ways.. has gone through his own trials though not nearly as tough as Theons.

What I find sad is that they are both sons of a great lord, in fact Theon's status should technically be ABOVE Tyrion's seeing as he IS the heir to the Iron Islands - yet they both get treated like absolute shit. They are like the lowest of the high born and must experience all the cons of being highborn (there are many pros of course) but also the ridicule of being unaccepted socially. However Tyrion I think had a much better way of dealing with it and didn't phase him as much. Where in Theon's case things are pretty unfair, and also Tyrion makes great choices while Theon makes poor ones albeit they are much more human. I see why you find him so intriguing and I dare to say it's hard to pick between them!

edit: Tyrion actually is technically the denied heir of Casterly Rock I suppose, so that does in fact make them more equal somewhat. Though my reasoning was I had Jamie in mind - him being the firstborn son and still alive although he has taken the white relinquishing all inheritance so doesn't really matter. 

wow, I've parallelled Theon with so many characters already, Jon, Sansa, Ramsay, Jeyne but i'd never considered the parallels between him and Tyrion. That's really interesting!

Tyrion was actually my first favorite but at this point he's gone down my list, not because I find him less interesting but more because I find other characters more interesting. In my experience there's too many amazing characters in this series actually, because there's characters who I would want in my top 10 because I find them so interesting but i have no space for them. and yet I love those characters more then my favorite characters from other series, simply because this one really stands out when it comes to the characters.

Theon for me is extremely special, I've always been obsessed with something, and when I say obsessed I really mean obsessed. But I litarly wrote a book on Theon, there was just so much to say about him because he's such a complex character and I had to write it all down and in the end it turned into a book. I think it's because I can relate to a lot of his problems, his self esteem issues for example, his defense mechanisms. the only difference betwen him and me is that I understand myself, Theon has no self-knowledge whatsoever. When looking online at things people say about Theon I also think that a lot of fans don't really consider how he became such a mess of a human being, while this is one of the things that really interests me. When I read his chapters I really get the urge to analyse every other line and pinpoint when he's lying to himself and why, which inner emotion he's trying to hide from himself and others.

In a way I think Tyrion is way more balanced, he has his issues for sure, but he has more self knowledge than Theon has. I think both these characters are very focussed on wanting to be loved because it's something they both missed in their childhood and actually still do. But where Tyrion knows he wants to be loved Theon doesn't really, he would consider that weakness and he wouldn't want to admit to himself that that is what he wants. Not to mention that he's looking for love in the wrong way. In his mind his value comes from being highborn, from being a man, so he focusses on those things, thinking that will give him the love/acceptance he wants. Of course these things happen subconciously, he doesn't have those literal thoughts.

My thing about Tyrion is actually his relationship with his father. If I would write about him I'd probably write about that. I think it's ironic that they hate eachother but they are actually very much alike.

Dany.

Because I can be fairly certain that she won't suddenly die on me. At least not before the final climax of the series.

I've rooted for Ned and Robb and each time got heartbroken. I am not rooting for anyone else who might die. Two times was enough, thank you.

In addition to that and all her faults aside Dany is a strong female character and her story - even though its been meandering seemingly aimlessly for quite a while - is obviously set up to have some kind of meaning in the end and be of importance to the resolution of the story. That's more than I can say about quite a lot of other characters.

I am sure there are characters out there whose (momentarily seemingly nonsensical mud-crawling) arcs turn out to have a meaning in the end as well. But I am not risking investing my heart and feelings in them when GRRM is so fond of breaking it.

• 11 months later...

Without a doubt it is Daenerys. I think she is wonderful in her fight to free slaves, the way she sleeps with whoever she wants, and she has dragons and dragonblood. She has people loyal to her wherever she goes just naturally. Westeros will be happy to have her back.

My second is also my almost #1 and that is Jon. It is just so obvious that they are going to be together and she will dominate him in a good way. Their Targaryen blood is bringing them together and they will defeat the Others with dragons and bring Westeros back in to order.

To me, what I like about Arya Stark is that she is the most black-and-white character but may not conform to the house of black and white.  She is kind and gentle to good people and she is the embodiment of evil to evil people.  Some argue that she shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner but all that those that she has killed she has seen or heard personal confessions to their crimes (with exception of those she needed to escape from but in that case war is grey).  

I was hooked in Clash and Storm was great.  Weasel Stew and such.  It was just the most intriguing arc especially of the first 3 books.  It wasn't perfect in the next 2 but cameos with Sam and such are a treat.  I'm still the most curious what her outcome is despite growing interest in other more 2nd tier levels as time builds between books.  In this sense, I care most about her character arc but I may care about some more general plot arcs more.  

I'm shocked that no one said Tywin. He's one of my least favorite characters.  I was waiting on him to fall. Great character though....just not my fave.

I've been low key in love with the Dragon Queen for years. Queen Daenerys Targaryen is absolutely my favorite character. Emilia Clark's portrayal of the mother of dragons is excellent. She does a great job in expressing emotion through her eyes and that derrière is amazing. 

What I like about her character is how she is a very human, very empathetic young woman who went from a virtual slave to ASOIAF greatest liberator. I loathe the masters of SB and anyone who indulges in slavery in general.

She makes mistakes, and is not perfect. But out of all the Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Lords, and Lordlings.....Queen Dany is the only one to risk her own skin for the lives of small folk. My favorite Dany moment is when she fed the refugees from Ataspor, who were suffering from Pale Mare, out of her own hand. This is incredibly brave, stupid, selfless, and reckless.

I'm  rooting for the Dragon Queen harder than Ser Jorah Mormont of the Friend Zone.

5 minutes ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

I'm shocked that no one said Tywin. He's one of my least favorite characters.  I was waiting on him to fall. Great character though....just not my fave.

I've been low key in love with the Dragon Queen for years. Queen Daenerys Targaryen is absolutely my favorite character. Emilia Clark's portrayal of the mother of dragons is excellent. She does a great job in expressing emotion through her eyes and that derrière is amazing. 

What I like about her character is how she is a very human, very empathetic young woman who went from a virtual slave to ASOIAF greatest liberator. I loathe the masters of SB and anyone who indulges in slavery in general.

She makes mistakes, and is not perfect. But out of all the Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Lords, and Lordlings.....Queen Dany is the only one to risk her own skin for the lives of small folk. My favorite Dany moment is when she fed the refugees from Ataspor, who were suffering from Pale Mare, out of her own hand. This is incredibly brave, stupid, selfless, and reckless.

I'm  rooting for the Dragon Queen harder than Ser Jorah Mormont of the Friend Zone.

I recommend watching "Me Before You"  Emilia Clarke deserved an Oscar for her work here.

I like Dany.  I look forward to her sections.  AFfC bummed me out and couldn't maintain my interest because it lacked her presence.

Jamie Lannister without a doubt. His tragic story and redemption arc moves my heart and the story of having his ideals broken and fall into nihilism and then his strive to reach up from that abyss again is perhaps the character arc that moves me the most. I can't help to try and see the good in people and root for people seeking redemption or to change their ways.

Archived