Who is your single absolute favourite character - & ---WHY---???

Thuckey

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Sorry I still don’t see it. Unlike Agamemnon, Robert hadn’t caused his wife’s hate because he almost sacrificed his daughter and wasn’t later revenged by his remaining children. Agamemnon wasn’t an unrivalled warrior, even Jaime had Barri and Arthur but Robert had none. The only similarity between Agamemnon and Robert is that they were killed by their wives and nothing more. Just like the only difference between Achilles and Robert is that Achilles died young at the peak of his power, Robert lived a broken life. Someone could say that Robert did *died* after the end of the Rebellion.

Not really. The similarities are more in the dynamics between character than their personalities. Clytaemnestra's relationship with Agamemnon and Aegisthus is pretty much identical to Cersei's with Jaime and Robert.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

And?

In a society where very close personal relationships between two men are almost invariably sexual in nature it is more likely that a close relationship is sexual than one where they mostly aren't.

55 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

We do agree on a ton of stuff JQC, not a surprise :D

the achilles comparison is just a fan associastion of both tales that i love, grrm never said achilles was a close inspiration for any asoiaf character, Robert if anyone, is based on Edward IV, then some aspects make me remember achilles, yeah like said above other asoiaf warriors have that too because achilles was THE WARRIOR in western literature (i'm portuguese, we have viriatus, our first king henry, albuquerque the mars of the sea, tons of others in the age of discovery, etc) but achilles is the basis for every warrior, even the more famous demigods like hercules who storywise are older but in reality were invented later...

Robert just reminds me more of him, not only because of the demigod durrandon blood (because stannis has too, and renly) but because he screams war even more than jaime or barristan, in both feats and human behaviour, sometimes people think achilles is like the benioff travesty brad pitt crap, cool and colected most of the time, THE GUY WAS EMOTION 100% of the iliad

Did GRRM say Achilles didn't inspire any character? Or has he just not commented either way? I think there is a good chance that there is more to this than fan associations. I think ancient Greek literature was one of the many inspirations for aspects of ASoIaF.

45 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Not really. The similarities are more in the dynamics between character than their personalities. Clytaemnestra's relationship with Agamemnon and Aegisthus is pretty much identical to Cersei's with Jaime and Robert.

By dynamics you mean "wife cheats on husband and kills him"? Because that is their only similarity.

50 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

In a society where very close personal relationships between two men are almost invariably sexual in nature it is more likely that a close relationship is sexual than one where they mostly aren't.

And? I don't understand what you mean.

21 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Did GRRM say Achilles didn't inspire any character? Or has he just not commented either way? I think there is a good chance that there is more to this than fan associations. I think ancient Greek literature was one of the many inspirations for aspects of ASoIaF.

At least i never heard him say Achilles was a strong inspiration for any character, the iliad sure, but the leader of the myrmidons? not that i've heard of...

But, i'm not all ears on grrm everytime so...

On 20/02/2017 at 2:33 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Both. :D

lol that's funny, to be fair there are a ton of british, french, italian, etc historians who know more about the age of discovery than i so...

you're not obligated to be an expert in democracy, the olimpics, the iliad... and i do not sweat myself by not knowing every freaking fort from america, africa, asia and oceania my folk build... they went everywhere in a wooden boat i would be afraid to travel in to cross a river...

All hail Zeus :bowdown:

On 21/2/2017 at 9:03 PM, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

lol that's funny, to be fair there are a ton of british, french, italian, etc historians who know more about the age of discovery than i so...

you're not obligated to be an expert in democracy, the olimpics, the iliad... and i do not sweat myself by not knowing every freaking fort from america, africa, asia and oceania my folk build... they went everywhere in a wooden boat i would be afraid to travel in to cross a river...

All hail Zeus :bowdown:

True. But you know, sometimes you cannot believe how you miss the obvious. BTW, I had read a book that analyzes and explains the Greek mythology and according to what I read I understood that Zeus=Stannis, Poseidon=Robert and Hades=Renly.   

Tywin Lannister because he was such a perfect sneering plutocrat.

Dude was cold, implacable, and utterly humorless. I laughed so many times reading his dialog. He was so contemptuous of everyone he perceived to be beneath him, which was basically everyone. The way he talked down to random characters was always comedy gold. Like when he referred to Thoros of Myr as "that fat jape of a priest." Or when he dismissed the entire peoples of the free cities as "spice soliders and cheese mongors." So good!

(Obviously) Rhaenys Targaryen & her husband, the Sea Snake. Truly why would take an essay-length (or multiple) post for both. Simply though, she was the Queen Who Always Was (up there with Alyssa, Rhaena, Alysanne, & Elaena) & Corlys was her counterpart (up there with Jaehaerys & Viserys II).

Dany all the way. Probably because she makes me feel so ridiculously empowered. 

Lots of her scenes gives me goosebumps and makes me cry actual tears (in awe of her badassery) which A: isnt like me at all, and B: not a reaction I've ever had towards any fictional work ever.

Some music tugs some at my heartstrings, but nothing comes close to this. Not even playing the Ocarina of Time.

I really can't decide one, it's like picking a favourite child.

However, when push comes to shove, it's Dany. When I first picked GoT up she was for whatever reason the character I felt most connected to. I've loved the journey she's taken me on, and trust me I find her more than a little frustrating at times. Like all the characters I really love, she feels like a friend now.

So Thuckey wants to know who my absolute favorite character is.  Very well.

My absolute favorite character is the Mother of Dragons herself, Daenerys Targaryen.  I enjoy her story arc.  I would have put down A Game of Thrones and not given it a chance if it were not for Dany's awesome chapters. 

Jaime Lannister. And I never would have thought that possible after the first book. He is a complex character that is written in a way that feels completely genuine and human. He is relatively clever, quite an imperfect hero, and has gone through a lot of growth. But I like him most for his dry humor and manner of speech and thought.

"I seldom throw children from windows to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die."

The Lord of the Dreadfort finally pursed his lips and said, "You have lost a hand."
"No," said Jaime, "I have it here, hanging round my neck"

"You took me unaware, my lord. I was not told of your coming."
"And I seem to have prevented yours."

“Lady? I’m no lady. I’m the queen.”
“My sister will be surprised to hear that.”
“Lord Ryman crowned me his very self.” She gave a shake of her ample hips. “I’m the queen o’ whores.”
No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

Nowhere. The Bloody Mummers stripped his corpse and left his flesh to feast the carrion crows. "Beside a stream," he lied. "When this war is done, I will find the place and send him home." Bones were bones; these days, nothing was easier to come by.

"Your former bannermen will make up the first wave of attackers, so you'll start your day by killing the fathers and brothers of men who died for you at the Twins. The second wave will be Freys, I have no lack of those. My westermen will follow when your archers are short of arrows and your knights so weary they can hardly lift their blades. When the castle falls, all those inside will be put to the sword. Your herds will be butchered, your godswood will be felled, your keeps and towers will burn. I'll pull your walls down, and divert the Tumblestone over the ruins. By the time I'm done no man will ever know that a castle once stood here." Jaime got to his feet. "Your wife may whelp before that. You'll want your child, I expect. I'll send him to you when he's born. With a trebuchet."

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."

Archived