Who is your single absolute favourite character - & ---WHY---???

Thuckey

That's a really tough choice but I'm gonna say Wyman Manderly because nobody else has picked him yet. Yes he may be old and extremely fat but he also is a very rich and powerful Northern lord. He is possibly House Starks most powerful Northern bannermen and definitely the most loyal. He is still secretly trying to support the Starks and he took revenge on Freys for Red Wedding. That was so awesome how he killed those 3 Freys and baked them into pies. Then he served them to Boltons and Freys at Winterfell while calling for "The Rat Cook" to be sung. He practically rubbed it in their face what he had done, except he ate pie also and kept a straight face. Then he even said that Walder kid was better to die than to grow up a Frey. Seems like Lord "too fat to sit a horse" may have some skills at playing the "game of thrones".

Sansa.  I like that she retains her kindness despite how everything she was brought up to believe in turned out to be false. I like how she and Arya's journeys parallel each other in so many ways and hope they both eventually reclaim their identities as Starks. She is the most 'real' character.   While many of us would like to think that in that time and place in Westeros, we'd act like a Jon or an Arya, in reality most of us would be more like Sansa - keeping our heads down and trying to survive.  These types of characters are rarely written about in fantasy or fiction in general,  and fair enough too, when we are reading for entertainment we want adventure.   But GRRM has written such a rich world with so any POVs there is  room for all kinds of chacters to take centre stage in their own story. That's why my fave character is one with very few traditional fantasy-character elements to her.

Theon

I just liked his story best. 

He always tried to make a better choice when forced to choose between two bad decisions. He still thinks of the Stark kids as kin. He was one of the few to claim the comet and survive. He jumped with Jeyne. The kingsmoot might not have been lawful because he was away. If he leads the Ironborn against the others those who die fighting for him can be reborn because of the aeron damphair initiation ceremony. 

19 minutes ago, I Dream of Spring said:

Sansa.  I like that she retains her kindness despite how everything she was brought up to believe in turned out to be false. I like how she and Arya's journeys parallel each other in so many ways and hope they both eventually reclaim their identities as Starks. She is the most 'real' character.   While many of us would like to think that in that time and place in Westeros, we'd act like a Jon or an Arya, in reality most of us would be more like Sansa - keeping our heads down and trying to survive.  These types of characters are rarely written about in fantasy or fiction in general,  and fair enough too, when we are reading for entertainment we want adventure.   But GRRM has written such a rich world with so any POVs there is  room for all kinds of chacters to take centre stage in their own story. That's why my fave character is one with very few traditional fantasy-character elements to her.

3 hours ago, kimim said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in Martin's world, Dany is supposed to be beautiful; she has a reputation for being beautiful. Multiple people refer to her as the "most beautiful woman" in the world: Xaro, Doran, Quentyn, Victarion. Her beauty and Valyrian looks appeal to Drogo; first chapter of the story, we are regaled with her hair, which shines like "molten silver," and the purple gown which brings out the amethyst in her eyes. She's beautiful, the way Rhaegar is beautiful.

Well said.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Val.

She is going to be way more important in the very near future... possibly even long term. The fact that we hear about her so randomly makes her all the more mysterious.

She and her sister Dalla (RIP) are traveling woods witches/healers that have the respect and welcome throughout all the Freefolk.

She is incredibly resourceful and independent. She was sent out on a one-eyed horse with little supplies to find Tormund and she did then she returned exactly on time. This also impresses the Nights Watch rangers who generally don't have much respect for women.

She can flirt with Lord Snow like no other and doesn't have to get naked for it. I think Jonny boy has a thing growing for her too.

Ghost likes her and we ALL know what Ghost says goes. Always trust the wolves!

She is of the old gods: her coloring, the moon in her hair, the Weirwood whites she is in and pin she wears.

Most likely she is going to have a larger part to resurrect Jon than Mel will. And she doesn't trust Mel, something we have all learned is wise :D

There is more, but after all this, do you really need it??? :cheers:

Awesome pick, awesome character.

Sansa.  She's the type of character that we usually don't get to see into the head of.  She is most similar to the damsel type, but she is actually surprisingly resilient.  I like that she is able to be feminine while still showing a lot of strength and courage.  Most of the time when fantasy writers want to write a strong female character she ends up being more like Asha or Arya than anything resembling Sansa.  Sansa is just a breath of fresh air from that type of character (though that is not an insult to Asha or Arya it's just they seem more common).  Plus Sansa tends to have great interaction with a lot of interesting characters like Cersei, Sandor, and Littlefinger.

Daenerys Targaryen.  Because she's the main character, the main protagonist in the story.  She is the only one who has done something to really help a lot of people.  The other main characters like Cersei, Jon, and Arya just want to serve their families, payback, etc.  Tyrion is another who wants to help many people.  He's on my list of favorite characters also, as well as Samwell.  But, good grief, I would never, ever Samwell in a position of leadership.  I admit, Samwell was Jon's brains up at the wall.  When Samwell left and Jon was left to think for himself he ended up committing treason and betraying his office.  But I still do not want Samwell for anything other than an advisory role.  

6 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Daenerys Targaryen.

I love how she is written and how she has evolved. From a meek, abused girl to the dragon queen her evolution is amazing. She starts as a girl who was abused by someone who should have loved her and protected her but used her as a pawn to his own interests. Throughout her life all she wanted was a place to call home where she feels safe and protected and free. And when she acquires power after her life's tragedies she goes on to give people those which she never experienced. She is the most compassionate person in the books and her empathy is what driving her. She is rightly angered by the injustices of the world and she feels greatly responsible to stop them. She has the right idea about Kingship/Queenship that a king/Queen exists to protect people who can't protect themselves and in this world it is refreshing to see someone like her. She does not care about how she will be perceived she always follows her heart and tries to do the right thing. And above all she is not perfect that makes her very realistic. 

She receives a lot of unwarranted hate but while reading and rereading her chapters I found out how she was misconceived and how layered and incredibly complex character she was, exactly the kind of character I like. Definitely one of Martin's best.

She's my favorite too.  Very appealing in so many, many ways.  Without doubt, the most interesting and the most readable character in the books. 

I love Arya, but so many people have mentioned her already, so....

Asha Greyjoy. In a world dominated by men she captains her own ship with an all-male crew that support her. She is an exceptional leader, brave, smart and determined. Her favorite person is Rodrick the Reader (who doesn't love him - a person in the kraken culture who loves books.) She championed peace when Euron pleaded war, but then gold always trumps acorns in the squid culture. She doesn't let any marriage be forced upon her She is a brave smart woman. I admire her.

16 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Val.

She is going to be way more important in the very near future... possibly even long term. The fact that we hear about her so randomly makes her all the more mysterious.

She and her sister Dalla (RIP) are traveling woods witches/healers that have the respect and welcome throughout all the Freefolk.

She is incredibly resourceful and independent. She was sent out on a one-eyed horse with little supplies to find Tormund and she did then she returned exactly on time. This also impresses the Nights Watch rangers who generally don't have much respect for women.

She can flirt with Lord Snow like no other and doesn't have to get naked for it. I think Jonny boy has a thing growing for her too.

Ghost likes her and we ALL know what Ghost says goes. Always trust the wolves!

She is of the old gods: her coloring, the moon in her hair, the Weirwood whites she is in and pin she wears.

Most likely she is going to have a larger part to resurrect Jon than Mel will. And she doesn't trust Mel, something we have all learned is wise :D

There is more, but after all this, do you really need it??? :cheers:

Absolutely great choice!

10 minutes ago, Not a kneeler said:

I love Arya, but so many people have mentioned her already, so....

Asha Greyjoy. In a world dominated by men she captains her own ship with an all-male crew that support her. She is an exceptional leader, brave, smart and determined. Her favorite person is Rodrick the Reader (who doesn't love him - a person in the kraken culture who loves books.) She championed peace when Euron pleaded war, but then gold always trumps acorns in the squid culture. She doesn't let any marriage be forced upon her She is a brave smart woman. I admire her.

Agreed with all of this. It was so hard to pick just one. Asha is trying to bring the Iron Born into the "modern" age and they just can't see it. However, changes are a comin'. 

Don't make me choose! lol

I can say why my favourite is my favourite but I don't for a second think they are "better" than all of the other characters. I do not like Cat and still, I think she is at least in the top 3 in terms of the best written characters.

Tyrion and Arya are my favourites but since I am more emotionally invested in Arya's future than Tyrion's, I will say Arya.

The character: I quickly identified with Arya because she is just like I was at her age and mirrors a lot of my thoughts on the events around her. I like that she quickly becomes more self aware and tries to improve on her faults, I like her perspective and the way she forms bonds with people and more than anything (I thinks that's what pushes her slightly ahead of Tyrion as of late) how much she deeply loves her family. All of them, and she would do anything in her power to help them if she knew how. I do think she is realistic, not only because I am very similar to her but because most of my friends and 2/3 of my sisters are like Arya. It doesn't mean other characters aren't realistic, that's the whole point; there are as many "types" as you care to know/learn about. I like the conflict she feels over her forced changes, her family's opinion on them and how they would feel about her now. It makes me anxious about their hopeful reunion. And she cares, so damn much, about everything. She is terrified of being lost, powerless and alone again but she still lives and that's braver than I remembered being for a while now.

The writing: How GRRM wrote Arya is probably one of the things I appreciate about his writing the most. I like that he started off clunkily but then truly got to know the character and made a great story for her that fits and is interesting (to me), and most importantly is all about Arya. I like that her arc is both predictable and yet not. I felt like she should go to Braavos and follow Jaqen but I didn't think the author would send her away, and he did. I was so not even considering her joining the FM but once she did, it felt inevitable and right that she be involved in such a world. I also liked that in Braavos we got to see a bit more of her insolent sassy side, as well as more evidence of her being able to connect with so many people, and actually have a good time. Martin allowed me to laugh with/at her, discover more of the world he built, feel my heart shatter after RW and, yes, feel some vindication in dishing out some sweet, sweet revenge. The identity game he pays both in her narrative and in others' is not just great thematically but it also allowed him to keep her evolving naturally independently from those storylines.

ETA: Also, camel cunt is the single best insult I have ever heard in every single language I understand (that's 4).

On 2/14/2016 at 7:47 AM, Ruhail said:

Rhaegar is the most narcissistic character in Asoiaf

No way man. Cersei or Rhaegar's father take the cake. 

I'll agree he does seem to have a certain air of smugness to him though. As do most Targaryn's I imagine which make Dany unique I suppose. 

On 2/14/2016 at 2:03 PM, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

She's got one of nicest derrière's on the show.

I second that. I like my women to have a bit of meat on them as well.. All we see these days is skin and bones. D's got like the perfect amount of plumpness to her. ;)

2 hours ago, Thuckey said:

No way man. Cersei or Rhaegar's father take the cake. 

I'll agree he does seem to have a certain air of smugness to him though. As do most Targaryn's I imagine which make Dany unique I suppose. 

Not smugness, but seriousness. Dude had a lot of shit on his mind. 

2 hours ago, Thuckey said:

I second that. I like my women to have a bit of meat on them as well.. All we see these days is skin and bones. D's got like the perfect amount of plumpness to her. ;)

Indeed. Chicks today either starve themselves and workout so much that their bodies start looking like those of adolescent boys or, for the ones who want curves, they go out and buy them from plastic surgeons on some dumb schmuck' tab that's getting played like a fiddle. I prefer healthy, all natural bodies, like say a young Sofia Vergara. 

And for for all the rediculously in depth descriptions of boobs in these books, like areola width and color and nipple size and hardness. He also always mentions bush color and texture. But for all that, never, not once, does he pay homage to, or even mention, the round greatness that is a woman's bootay. Obviously GRRM is a titty man and not an ass man, on this he and I don't see eye to eye. Dissappointing.

On 14/2/2016 at 5:04 AM, dread wolf said:

i like eddison tollett a lot granted he is not a major player like the other characters but  his dark humor, i get a feeling this guy will survive till the end. he is like a professional just dong his job giving no fucks to the world and knows how shit the world is. he reminds me a lot of geralt of rivia with his pessimistic sense of humor.

Thank you, dread wolf. Dolorous Edd is the only character that has understand Martin's world. He knows this world is full of s*** and the future is bleak, yet he face it with humor.

On 14/02/2016 at 6:25 AM, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

Rhaegar. The most well rounded character while simultaneously the most polarizing. The man that men want to be and women want to be with. Can think with the thinkers, read with the readers,fight with the fighters, prophesize with the prophosizers, play with the musicians, sing with the singers, and certainly could have set new all time Westerosi world records in 'making the eight', if he had so chose. But most of all, see with the seers, with eyes to see the bigger picture, and it's impending doom. I feel for the misunderstood character that understood more than he wanted to. But by the end, his haters will be hushed, and hopefully he'll be vindicated.

Rhaegar? We can only judge him by his actions and his actions started a war.

Said before... Arya

I recognize a lot of her in myself, especially when I was a child and teen. Her chapters have that dark fairytale quality (the old versions, not the Disney versions). She feels  and bonds so deeply for everyone, and she immerses herself in whatever experience she's thrown in, sometimes it's comical. I completely understand how she might have been a big pain in the ... for Sansa, but you know she loves her sister anyhow, because her anger is short lived and she feels instantly sorry, offering to make her a new dress. A lot of her out of the mouth of babes questions and sayings are just cute. What I find seriously well done by George is that he subverts the "kickass tomboy" trope once she gets to the HoBaW. No, she doesn't get this training where she'll be the best braavo who sticks her enemies with the pointy end, instead she gets to be trained as a poisoner and spy. And I also appreciate it that he makes her assassinations ambiguous. Most of those she killed either by word or with Needle are either ambigious or mistakes, except a few (and then they still leave you with worried for her)... and not the main enemy.

Archived