Rickon in TWOW

Protector of Stokeworth

Just now, SevasTra82 said:

Keep in mind, Rickon is 4 years old.  I don't think he's old enough to grasp exactly what went on with his family as of yet.

This is a good point. Rickon and who ever is on his side really won't have any reason to trust anyone outside of Jon if he has Ghost with him or possibly Sansa (if Rickon recognizes / remembers her)

4 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

This is a good point. Rickon and who ever is on his side really won't have any reason to trust anyone outside of Jon if he has Ghost with him or possibly Sansa (if Rickon recognizes / remembers her)

I view her in the upcoming books as Rickons mouthpiece.  Even though she was in WF for only a short period of time, Osha gained the trust of The Starks and she bonded with Bran.  Even though Rickon (at the time) was only 3 years old, he probably bonded with Osha as well and views her as an authority figure and guardian.  Shaggydog obviously feels the same.

In essence, Osha is becoming an extension of The Starks and Rickons unofficial guardian/parent.  She's going to be just as influential (if not, more) then Rickon.  Rickon will be the physical influence (being a Stark), but it will be Osha who will be pulling the strings and making the decisions.

26 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

I view her in the upcoming books as Rickons mouthpiece.  Even though she was in WF for only a short period of time, Osha gained the trust of The Starks and she bonded with Bran.  Even though Rickon (at the time) was only 3 years old, he probably bonded with Osha as well and views her as an authority figure and guardian.  Shaggydog obviously feels the same.

In essence, Osha is becoming an extension of The Starks and Rickons unofficial guardian/parent.  She's going to be just as influential (if not, more) then Rickon.  Rickon will be the physical influence (being a Stark), but it will be Osha who will be pulling the strings and making the decisions.

My only problem with this is what Starks has she bonded with? Rickon sure but Bran and maybe Robb are the others and they are out of the picture... so Sansa or Jon may not trust Osha

22 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

My only problem with this is what Starks has she bonded with? Rickon sure but Bran and maybe Robb are the others and they are out of the picture... so Sansa or Jon may not trust Osha

We don't quite know for sure, actually.  I don't recall it ever really being discussed on whom specifically trusts her.  We do know that she bonded with Bran and Rickon, but the rest of the household we can only guess.

We do know that she was given freedom to roam WF due to her good behavior and was also given a job in the kitchens.  I wouldn't think she would be rewarded these things unless Ned gave clearance for her to have them.  We can only assume that though (I don't think there is any textual evidence of it).

I think Jon would trust Osha, as he is more sympathetic to the Wildlings then most others.  I don't think Osha and Sana interacted much, if ever, so she's probably indifferent towards her.  I would think though that once she learns that Osha saved Bran/Rickons life that her opinion of her would grow positively.  

To those that argue that Rickon's story is ShaggyDog story couldn't it also be argued that it is the complete opposite?

In a normal ShaggyDog we get a long detailed story with an anticlimactic ending.

Well at this point Rickon's story is NO story.  No details, nothing.  Perhaps we are getting a reverse ShaggyDog (sorry that sounds inappropriate) AKA No story with a climactic ending?

Just a thought I've had when reading posts on Rickon before.

13 minutes ago, Rob Storm said:

To those that argue that Rickon's story is ShaggyDog story couldn't it also be argued that it is the complete opposite?

In a normal ShaggyDog we get a long detailed story with an anticlimactic ending.

Well at this point Rickon's story is NO story.  No details, nothing.  Perhaps we are getting a reverse ShaggyDog (sorry that sounds inappropriate) AKA No story with a climactic ending?

Just a thought I've had when reading posts on Rickon before.

Just becasue you have not heard his story does not mean that he does not have one. And what if the entire story is the long story, and Rickon's ending is the Shaggydog?

Similar to Robb, the other Stark with out an POV, Rickon is not going to be the hero that everyone expects him to be.

1 hour ago, SevasTra82 said:

We don't quite know for sure, actually.  I don't recall it ever really being discussed on whom specifically trusts her.  We do know that she bonded with Bran and Rickon, but the rest of the household we can only guess.

We do know that she was given freedom to roam WF due to her good behavior and was also given a job in the kitchens.  I wouldn't think she would be rewarded these things unless Ned gave clearance for her to have them.  We can only assume that though (I don't think there is any textual evidence of it).

I think Jon would trust Osha, as he is more sympathetic to the Wildlings then most others.  I don't think Osha and Sana interacted much, if ever, so she's probably indifferent towards her.  I would think though that once she learns that Osha saved Bran/Rickons life that her opinion of her would grow positively.  

Ned, Jon and the girls were gone before Osha arrived in WF which is why I was saying she only bonded with (maybe) Robb, Bran and Rickon

Might sound crazy… actually it will definitely sound crazy, but I think Rickon could lead a Northern Army by the end of book 7.    More towards the OP’s question, I don’t think he plays much of a role in book 6.

I say this because similar to Robb who lacked POV chapters, Rickon seems to have an exceptionally advanced relationship to his wolf.   I think Grey Wind deserves a ton of credit for Robb’s military success throughout his campaign.. having been warged often behind the scenes.  I think with some guidance, Rickon would/will wreak havoc with Shaggy going forward – despite his young age. 

Rickon – The Young Wolf – 2nd of his name :o

4 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Might sound crazy… actually it will definitely sound crazy, but I think Rickon could lead a Northern Army by the end of book 7.    More towards the OP’s question, I don’t think he plays much of a role in book 6.

I say this because similar to Robb who lacked POV chapters, Rickon seems to have an exceptionally advanced relationship to his wolf.   I think Grey Wind deserves a ton of credit for Robb’s military success throughout his campaign.. having been warged often behind the scenes.  I think with some guidance, Rickon would/will wreak havoc with Shaggy going forward – despite his young age. 

Rickon – The Young Wolf – 2nd of his name :o

How old will he be by book 7? 6? No way he actively leads an army especially a Northern one. Men may fight in his name but not be led by him

11 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

How old will he be by book 7? 6? No way he actively leads an army especially a Northern one. Men may fight in his name but not be led by him

Isn't he 7 now?   By the end of two massive novels he could be 10.  Wasn't Dany 13 in AGoT?

This is a fictional world not the US Military.  

Leading a Northern Army is a stretch, but being influential in battle through Shaggy-dog is a certainty.  

2 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Isn't he 7 now?   By the end of two massive novels he could be 10.  Wasn't Dany 13 in AGoT?

This is a fictional world not the US Military.  

Leading a Northern Army is a stretch, but being influential in battle through Shaggy-dog is almost a certainty.  

Rickon is 3 in Game of Thrones. From Thrones to Dance is 2.5 to 3 years I think so he is only 6 at end of Dance. Even if we have another 3 years pass to Dream that still puts Rickon at 9. I don't see any 9 year old leading a Northern army, sure Shaggydog will be huge and kill people in battle but that wasn't your original point which is what I was responding to.

So yes Shaggydog may kill people in battle in Winds or Dream but no Rickon will not lead a Northern army (Men may fight in his name but not be led by a 9 year old).

49 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

Rickon is 3 in Game of Thrones. From Thrones to Dance is 2.5 to 3 years I think so he is only 6 at end of Dance. Even if we have another 3 years pass to Dream that still puts Rickon at 9. I don't see any 9 year old leading a Northern army, sure Shaggydog will be huge and kill people in battle but that wasn't your original point which is what I was responding to.

So yes Shaggydog may kill people in battle in Winds or Dream but no Rickon will not lead a Northern army (Men may fight in his name but not be led by a 9 year old).

Hard to say, wasn't Barriston unhorsing people in Tourney's at 10? I don't think this will happen myself, but it's not impossible in this type of world, especially considering Barry didn't have a Shaggy.

15 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

Hard to say, wasn't Barriston unhorsing people in Tourney's at 10? I don't think this will happen myself, but it's not impossible in this type of world, especially considering Barry didn't have a Shaggy.

Sure exceptions do happen but a trained squire in a Tourney (and I believe he is a mystery knight to be doing that?) in the south is a lot different than hardened Northmen being led by a 9 or even 10 yr old IMO

1 hour ago, RobOsevens said:

Sure exceptions do happen but a trained squire in a Tourney (and I believe he is a mystery knight to be doing that?) in the south is a lot different than hardened Northmen being led by a 9 or even 10 yr old IMO

It's highly unlikely, I completely agree in that respect...  especially when you bring up the training Barristan received as a young squire.  

Devil's advocate:  Rickon isn't just hiding out on Skagos - he's earned respect from the feared Skagosis in thanks to his heritage and terrifying wolf.  

When Davos brings Rickon back to Manderly, he brings back a Skagosy army led by the Young Wolf - 2nd of his name :o

7 hours ago, The Answer said:

Devil's advocate:  Rickon isn't just hiding out on Skagos - he's earned respect from the feared Skagosis in thanks to his heritage and terrifying wolf.  

When Davos brings Rickon back to Manderly, he brings back a Skagosy army led by the Young Wolf - 2nd of his name :o

I'm hoping we find out the reasoning behind having Osha take Rickon to Skagos - does Osha have connections there, or did she just want to get away from Bolton influence? Depending on the circumstances, I don't think Rickon's army is too far-fetched. Rickon as a ~6 year old military prodigy is a little incredible, but this is a fantasy.

As to the OP's question, I remember reading somewhere that GRRM liked the actress's portrayal of show!Osha so much he decided to increase her presence in future books, so yes, I think we will be seeing them.

4 hours ago, Lil Jon Snow said:

Do the skagosi even have ships to transport an army to the mainland? I was under the impression that they never really leave the island. Can the regular fishing boats get the job done? Do they even have a big fishing community?

They've attacked the North in the past (like King-in-the-North past I think), so they have had the ability before. I would think an island society would have a decent fishing industry, even with the cannibal rumors. This could be why Davos is the one fetching Rickon - someone needs to be able to guide the Skagosi to the mainland unnoticed by Bolton eyes.

I think that Rickon will become the heir to winterfell. Arya is destined for faceless man or death,  sansa is married to tyrion or destined for somewhere in the south. Bran is a tree and Jon Snow is unlikely based on his "death" no matter how he's revived (melisandre, ghost warg or other) I don't believe he'll rule the north.  Maybe the king beyond the wall

On February 17, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I think that's a fate he's reserving for Jon Snow 

Rickon's wolf is literally named Shaggydog as in it's a Shaggydog story 

also Jon has that dream cutting off a Stark's head and screaming that he's the Lord of Winterfell 

I always figured that Jon dream of head lopping was when he goes to Winterfell (finally) or meets Ramsay out on the streets somewhere and he lops Ramsays head off. Jon was a little upset with Ramsay about 10 minutes ago and that will probably come back with a vengeance when he does. 

If Rickon makes it back as Lord, then I think Jon will hold it temporarily and will be more than willing to relinquish it to one of his Stark brothers. Jon will always hold the "I'm a bastard" chip on his shoulder and I don't think he will ever feel he out ranks the other Starks. 

Rickon... I can only hope he is a savage little beast that wears a unicorn skull headpiece and rides on the back of Shaggydog when he returns. There is no way Davos can tame him in, what, a month or two of travel time. 

On a side note, I did read at one time in the past that Rickon's story was purposely written to go nowhere. I don't know if I believe it because why include it in a story like this?

Archived