Does cannabis/marijuana and tobacco exist in Planetos?

OIL, BLOOD, Water

4 minutes ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

We do?  Where have we been told what lizard-lions are?  Cause this has been up for discussion on other threads and the best we could come up with we that they weren't crocodiles because Dany sees crocodiles in Essos, and calls them crocodiles.  I think the consensus was that maybe they were like alligators, cause crocodiles are an "old-world" animal and alligators a "new-world" animal IRL. (I'll see if I can find the thread before I go home - and maybe I'm behind on it, too!)

I know the thread. There was discussion at length. Most people were either joking or settled on alligators. Others tried to insert monitor lizards (no teeth, let alone teeth like daggers) or Komodo dragons (big teeth, not amphibious ambush predators).

As far as the croc/gator debate, I don't really think it holds much water. They are more or less identical, with variations only in size and environment. I'm grouping in caimans too. It's clear that even if GRRM didn't mean them as a crocodile or alligator, they are meant to be some type of crocodilian. Their description, location, and behavior are too on point for anything else.

14 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

The tail is not poisonous or barbed, but it can be whipped so quickly that it can smash the bones of large predators.  I also got the impression that the lizard-lion had a more upright stance than crocodilians and could run faster.  I am not 100% sure, I'll have to re-read it, but I think they were also described as being golden in color.

Alligators and crocs can and do use their tail to attack/stun prey. 

1 minute ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I know the thread. There was discussion at length. Most people were either joking or settled on alligators. Others tried to insert monitor lizards (no teeth, let alone teeth like daggers) or Komodo dragons (big teeth, not amphibious ambush predators).

As far as the croc/gator debate, I don't really think it holds much water. They are more or less identical, with variations only in size and environment. I'm grouping in caimans too. It's clear that even if GRRM didn't mean them as a crocodile or alligator, they are meant to be some type of crocodilian. Their description, location, and behavior are too on point for anything else.

All I know about crocodiles is that they can be found in the Nile.  All I know about alligators is that they can be found in the S. US (Florida, mostly).  Based solely on that - alligators, cause crocs don't live in swamps but gators do!

But yeah - if they aren't one or the other, they're still definitely of the genus (family? species? dammit how does that work!)

13 minutes ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

Hmmm - now I've got a mini-raptor crossed with a croc pictured in my mind!  Not as cool as the scorcroc (crocpion?) cross I'd created in there tho....not that the images in my head are anything to go by...

Oh, they're quadrupeds - maybe I just imagined that their posture was not as squat as crocodilians.

13 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I had a pet savannah monitor, he definitely had teeth, though not dagger-sized.  Alligator and crocodile teeth are not very dagger like, more like sharp pegs and not particularly long.

Lizard-lions in "A Beast from Norn" lived in a swampy portion of their world.  Their heads are described as crocodilian but not the body.  I know some crocodilians use their tail to stun their prey, but crocodilian tails are rather stiff (they have tendons that run the length of the tail) and only swing laterally, they can't hold their tail up or above their heads, and definitely can't use it to hit something that is standing in front of them.

Isn't there a quote in ASoIaF that mentions the long, whip-like tails of lizard-lions?  I'm pretty certain they are the same creature.

13 minutes ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

All I know about crocodiles is that they can be found in the Nile.  All I know about alligators is that they can be found in the S. US (Florida, mostly).  Based solely on that - alligators, cause crocs don't live in swamps but gators do!

But yeah - if they aren't one or the other, they're still definitely of the genus (family? species? dammit how does that work!)

Crocodiles are found in many parts of the world, from Africa to southeast Asia to Australia.  Alligators are only found in the Americas.  Alligators (and caimans and gavials) are all crocodilians.

Im pretty sure that, in the books, there are some mentions to Ned smoking cannabis before talking to Cersei in the Red Keep, of Robb before storming The Crag and Jon before the decision to go south, atacking the son of the current Warden of the North.

10 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Oh, they're quadrupeds - maybe I just imagined that their posture was not as squat as crocodilians.

Yeah, that's kind of were my brain was going - four-legged raptors, basically.  Not walking with their bellies on the ground, but not two-legged either.  Kinda like my dog - but reptilian (and bigger...)

6 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Crocodiles are found in many parts of the world, from Africa to southeast Asia to Australia.  Alligators are only found in the Americas.  Alligators (and caimans and gavials) are all crocodilians.

I knew they were found in other places - the only one I was confident in mentioning was Egypt!

I was wrong about the color of the lizard-lion, it's green…the gold was the color of the lizard-shaped gate it passed through into the arena.

"Tuf lifted his rented binoculars to his eyes, and saw the lizard-lion scrabble forward—two meters of scaled green reptile with a whiplike tail thrice its own length and the long snout of an Old Earth alligator. Its jaws opened and closed soundlessly, displaying an array of impressive teeth."

The lizard-lion saw it, too, and came waddling forward, its short scaled legs kicking in the sand while the long impossible tail arched above it like the stinger of some reptilian scorpion. When the cobalcat turned its liquid eyes on the enemy, the lizard-lion brought the tail down hard. With a bone-breaking crack the whip made contact, but the cobalcat had smoothly slipped to one side, and nothing shattered but air and sand.

Similar to a crocodile, but there's no crocodiles with a tail three times the length of their body or one that can hold it above it's body.

I get the impression that the lizard-lion may be a genetically engineered creature based on some kind of crocodile.  There's a number of creatures in the Thousand Worlds that are similar to Earth life but different, and man hasn't been in space long enough for them to evolve that much naturally…but then again, there are some that are similar to Earth life but clearly existed on these planets before mankind entered space (like the dactyloids, very bat-like but they were a semi-intelligent slave race of the Hrangans).  It may be that some of the older races took life from Earth and seeded it on other worlds in our pre-history.

31 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Alligators are found in China as well, but we're talking about thousands of those alligators vs 4+ million in the southern US.

31 minutes ago, Lointain said:

Im pretty sure that, in the books, there are some mentions to Ned smoking cannabis before talking to Cersei in the Red Keep, of Robb before storming The Crag and Jon before the decision to go south, atacking the son of the current Warden of the North.

The Honorable Ned Stark getting stoned? :o I'm very skeptical that Ned smoked pot before his meeting with Cersei, but I will have to re-read that chapter because I feel like that's something the fanbase would have caught by now. 

7 minutes ago, OIL, BLOOD, Water said:

The Honorable Ned Stark getting stoned? :o I'm very skeptical that Ned smoked pot before his meeting with Cersei, but I will have to re-read that chapter because I feel like that's something the fanbase would have caught by now. 

Cannot tell if trolling. Someone help me out here.

6 hours ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

I knew I was missing something!  Your explanation is bringing it all back to me!

Zorse's are...kind of...present IRL.  Not usually a naturally occurring species, but a zebra mated with a horse is a thing (it's got a few names "zorse" being just one).  They are generally sterile, like a mule is.  According to Wikipedia (cause I'm lazy...):

I've heard about "zorse" and "zonkey" before...maybe it's just me, but the wiki page is very interesting!  The above is the intro to the page, but under the Contents check out Types - they've got every possible option under the sun!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebroid

In the context of ASOIAF, Zorses wouldn't really be useful to the Jogos Nhai (who are essentially Dothraki but ride zorses. I can't really see the Jogos Nhai breeding zebras and horses simultaneously to produce infertile/sterile offspring, if their culture is any bit as ruthless and adaptive as the Dothraki. 

I'm assuming if the Wildlings have hemp, the Jogos Nhai do too. Or maybe they don't, since the Jogos Nhai are too nomadic. 

38 minutes ago, Frey Filet said:

Subject headings like this reinforce the idea that we've run out of suitable discussion topics :P

How so?

I've learned more in this topic about the world of Planetos than I started with.

Hemp is very common in Planetos and it is symbolically associated with death and the sea. 

Cannabis is legal in many places now. 

Archived