Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

I go back to training and right off the bat we go for a hill run - 10.5km with 0.25km elevation, done in 1h 5'.

As you can see, I'm pretty far from my desired level of fitness at the moment and some 4-5kgs off my ideal weight. Looking forward to getting there and (more importantly) staying there for a while. I have to get to 3-4 rowing practices a week, come hell or high water. If I throw in one more run or a football/basketball game in the mix, it should work.

23 minutes ago, Leap said:

It's been two days and I already miss cheese. 

I would never be able to get rid of cheese from my diet. I can imagine not eating meat (though I like it), but not cheese.

I stick to my plan of running every other day so far, and as a result I made a distance of little over 100 km in February, which is my new personal best (over 99 km was last July and August). 

But the damn knee started to hurt more the day before yesterday and I'm not sure if I'm able to run tonight. If so, it'll be less than usual, probably 5-6 km at the most.

I lost 2 or 3 kilos during the last two months and it would be great if my weight could stabilise at the current level of about 77-78 kilos. According to my wife losing more would be too much.

This morning was shoulder press, wide lat pull downs, Lat raises (should really be called deltoid lifts), arms and planks.

I ran out of energy toward the end, it was 11:15am and I had only eaten a banana prior to workout. It felt good to get it done.

I think I'm at a plateau on my heaviest lifts, but not feeling like I want to gain weight to push to a new level. I'll start mixing up my exercises for some variety.

Any recommendations on strengthening wrist? Car accident last May, no structural damage just soft tissue, barks like hell when over exerted (work in lumber yard which is exercise in itself)

Pyro - I don't think we're ignoring your question but it's really hard to advise here. You may need a doctor or a physio.

Your wrist has almost no soft tissue, just the ligaments. The muscles controlling pronation, supination and rotation are all in your forearm near your elbow. If your ligaments are sore or strained then you need alternating ice and heat, wear a compression bandage and do some stretching exercises and massage to help blood flow.

16 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Pyro - I don't think we're ignoring your question but it's really hard to advise here. You may need a doctor or a physio.

Your wrist has almost no soft tissue, just the ligaments. The muscles controlling pronation, supination and rotation are all in your forearm near your elbow. If your ligaments are sore or strained then you need alternating ice and heat, wear a compression bandage and do some stretching exercises and massage to help blood flow.

also, is it strength or mobility that is lacking? might find the strength is there but the ability to leverage it is compromised by lack of flexibility.

Last night I did some burpees, body weight squats and push ups after midnight in my hotel room. I needed to loosen up after 7 hours in airplane seats, plus some more in airports.

My only exercise today was an hour of strolling around Houston airport to help digest my dinner.

I'll be really fatigued tomorrow and probably won't lift weights until Saturday. Business travel is such a drag on exercise unless you build in extra time for workouts at the hotel, which I almost never do because I try to minimize time away from my family.

Road warriors are nowhere near as physically fit as the name might suggest. I'm glad my travel is not usually this intense.

Had a killer workout last night before my vacation that starts today.  Heavy into the glutes and quads first, then did about an hour of chest, shoulders, back, and core.  It was exhausting and I'm sore as hell today.  Hopefully I can get some hiking or yoga in while I'm away.

Walked about 10 miles a day while on vacation and was able to get one yoga session in because the gym at the resort was abysmal.  Right back on it as soon as I landed, with a second session yesterday morning, another planned for tonight, and 2 for Saturday and Sunday.

Stego/Luke.

5x5 or 3x5. What have you had more success with?

3 x 5. Mostly becuase 5 x 5 is even more boring and I can't do it mentally.

I think that's where I'm at as well. Been on a 3x5 for the last month or so, and dig it a lot more than the 5

I mainly focus on running and rowing machine at the moment, in order to get back some endurance I've lost over the past couple of months. Hopefully, I'll get it back at the level where I can go in the boat and not be dead weight after 15-30 minutes. :D

This week was lost to a bad cold and what I suspect is bronchitis. Did some light yoga today that left me feeling exhausted! Tomorrow I think I am going to try to go for a long walk, 6 miles or so. The lack of exercise is really bothering me, but I don't want to push myself too hard when I'm still recovering.

Archived