Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

I also had some kind of stomach virus, which ruined my plan to exceed 120 km in March, as I had to skip one run, and shorten the other one (the day before yesterday I smartly tried to run with a massive diarrhoea, which was an extreme experience I must say). Well, I hope I'll manage to stick to running every other day plan in April. Starting tonight.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Lots of illness striking posters here.  Wash your hands, people!

Today was bench press, pull down, arms and clean & press.  A good workout after 5 days of no weights and little sleep. 

Ahhh, the old wash your hands speech.  

I work around sick and dying people all day long.  It's bound to happen, no matter how much hand washing and BSI i put on. 

Today is day 5 of the 30 day challenge and everything is on track with both workouts and drinking.  I feel like I just need to figure out ~5 more days of how to get workouts in that I wouldn't be able to otherwise, so it's not too tough and I'm making it a priority for the month.

This morning was shoulder press, wide pull downs, Lat raises, arms, chest press and push-ups.  Great workout and so pumped afterward I could barely squeeze into my suit for work. 

By adding clean & press at the end of bench press day and now adding chest press and push-ups at the end of shoulder press day, I am now working my chest and deltoids twice a week each instead of only once.  I think this will be an important step up. 

I hit a major bump in the road of "I'll train 3-4 times a week come hell or high water".

I've been working on some freelance projects in addition to my regular job and just when things started to cool down a bit, one of the clients moved the deadline from "could be done comfortably with normal social life and training regularly" to "couldn't be done if i see my parents and or friends more than twice during the next couple of weeks".

Thankfully, that part is finished now, and I'm currently at work with my training bag under my desk, going to practice right after work.

The thing is, I haven't really been training properly for my hometown half-marathon that takes place on 16th. Some two weeks ago I did 16km at 5.06 pace so things are not that bad, and I think that 1:50 result is still achievable, but we'll have to wait and see.

Day 7 of the 30 day challenge and went for a 6am flow class.  I actually enjoyed this class very much despite needing to get up at 5 in order to get there on time.  Tomorrow I have a noon class I'm planning on attending with a happy hour (club soda w/ lime please!) and a rawk show in the evening.  Saturday is still up in the air, and a normal double class on Sunday.  That should wrap up the first 1/3rd of the 30 day challenge, with things going really really well.

Baxus - I feel your pain.  Work is a much bigger interruption for me than injury or anything else.  Mentally relabel it as enforced rest time and enjoy your return to action.

For me, last night was squats, calf press and dead lifts.  I rarely work out late like that these days and I did struggle for a while with fatigue and stiff muscles, but it got better as it went on.  Today and tomorrow will be rest days I think, with lots of stretching needed.

Yesterday was bench press, narrow pull down, arms and clean & press.  I was worried that poor sleep the night before would detract from lifting but it all went very well.  

Which is good because I get no workout today.  Unfortunately I need to fly to Philly and back today to attend a funeral (well, the viewing at least).  And I got terrible sleep again -- I think that thinking about my friend's bereavement is causing stress and over-thinking at night. 

And I may have limited opportunities during the week to get to the gym.  I'll try to fit some in. 

Just finished a workout at my local this morning. Strength: E2MOM for 10min of; Complex 3x Push press(60kg) + 2x Push jerk + 1x Split jerk, then WOD: 1000m row + 50 thrusters + 30 pullups, then Finisher: 5x (15m sled push + rope climb). went well, feel great, It'll be me last gym workout for a couple weeks as I travel for work tonight. Weighed in at 90.4kg this morning. The challenge over the next 2 weeks is to maintain conditioning with morning routine and minimise the alcohol intake. Hotel routine here I come!

I started doing Crossfit about 9 weeks ago.  They offered a 6 week beginner class where they teach you the movements and you do a workout, and I've been doing the regular class 5 days a week for the last 3 weeks.

I am terrible at it, as I'm 6'2" with long arms and very little upper body strength, but I am thoroughly enjoying it and definitely seeing results already. The workouts are hard enough that I don't have time to recognize and be self-conscious about the fact that the 5'2" 100 pound college girl to my right is lifting more than me :ph34r:

Training is going well, although I am a little freaked out that my race is in less than 8 weeks. My race pace seems impossibly fast right now--but that's normal for me when training, so mostly ignoring that. What is a more important concern is that I seem to be developing some shin splints. Urgh. Haven't had those for a while, so it's disappointing and I know they will probably linger for the rest of my training.

Tonight was shoulder press, wide pull down, upright row, lat raise, arms and chest press.  

Despite three nights of bad sleep I was surprisingly strong.  I powered through everything and it felt too easy.  It's a pity I don't have heavier weights available.  But it was my first time doing upright row in several months and I felt a little strain in the elbow joint at 80lbs so I stopped there. 

3 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Just don't upright rows in general. Terrible exercise. Asking for injuries for little benefit.

Thanks for that.  I stopped doing them for several months because they contribute to carpal tunnel problems.  That's less of an issue now but the strain on the elbow ligaments was unpleasant.  I'll drop them for good.

14 days into my 30 day challenge and everything is looking good, 17 days total in a row.  Had one day where I had some beers at a promotion happy hour, but other than that I've kept to my challenge.  Only 16 more days :)

starting off a nutrition challenge at the gym - going SAG free with targets for the macros for the next 6 weeks.  Need to burn off some of the winter coat and hoping this will also help with some mobility issues I've had...as well as get a little closer to seeing abs.

Last night was squats, deadlifts, calf press and weighted decline sit-ups.  It all felt good and I did an extra set of dead lifts at 250lbs. 

Only downside is that it was the second late night session this week.  I can't always manage my schedule at work to allow morning workouts midweek.  But I have been lifting weights four days per week for the past few weeks, aside from that week at my in-laws.  This is a good rhythm for me, although I have to manage my rest days and recovery.  Today is for rest.

Archived