Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

just did a mile run for time - beat my time from last year by over a minute and no back pain or soreness from it!  down to 6:29.  I do want to redo it on a track - our mile is half up hill/ half down hill circuit.

I was firmly embedded in my couch watching more football and really had to force myself to go workout.  Upper body session of bench press etc.  I rebounded very nicely from an off-day last weekend and was back to my PB.  I went a bit light on my arms, which are still stiff from last Wednesday. 

Just after I got back from the gym, my son asked me to take him to the park to cycle.  So I ran 2.5 miles at a good clip alongside him as he cycled laps of the running track.  I have sweat gallons today.  I rarely do cardio any more so it was nice to know I can still do a good run at any time. I just hope it doesn't affect leg weights tomorrow. 

My legs are feeling pretty tired. I may have jumped back into my training without quite enough rest after my last race, but it doesn't feel like anything worse than tiredness/soreness so I am pushing through. The course I am running next month has a BIG hill at the end. Hard to see the exact size due to the scale on the course graph, but it looks like it's gonna be a bitch. So I'm trying to incorporate more hills into my training. Did some yesterday that really kicked my butt, and slowed me down, but I did finish them all so not terrible I suppose. Decided to go flat for my long run today, though!

I went cycling today, for the second time this season after two and a half years of keeping the bike over at my parents' place.

Met up with a friend from high school and we went for some 40km route, with one break for coffee and chat after a bit over 20km.

It was fun and I'll do my best to repeat that soon, and add more friends to the mix, combining the workout and catching up with friends I haven't seen in a while. :)

Summer solstice yesterday, which meant 108 sun salutations in an hour and a half.  Doesn't sound like much, but couple it with 100+ degree temps and very few breaks and it's one of the most physically and mentally challenging thing I've done.  Did all 108 along w/ my girlfriend who also did all 108.  Last time I did this I probably only did around 80.  This time I paced myself a bit better (but just a bit) and was able to get it done.

Holy cow is my body fatigued today.

Sunday was cycling with my son so no legs day.  My legs were really stiff yesterday after a couple of days of running and cycling in 90+ degrees.  So last night I got to the gym for an upper body session of shoulder press, etc.  I was really strong at the start but by the end was moving slower and slower between sets.  I'm just not used to late night exercise now, which is a good thing.  OK but not great sleep afterward.

I may try for a quick legs session this evening.  I'm traveling all day tomorrow, like 5am-2am, which could ruin the rest of the week.  And then we have a trip this weekend with no gym available.  I'll just have to fit in what I can when I can.

I have some stiffness around my left shoulder blade.  I'm looking forward to my bi-weekly massage on Friday.

Good for you Leap.  If you're focused on losing weight, then what you're eating and what you're doing all day long has more impact than your workouts.  Enjoy feeling good and return to whatever workout you want next once your body has adapted to the new strain of manual labor.

I've started noticing improvements in my crossfit training sessions. It's still a long way to go, but I'm doing RFT (Rounds for Time) workouts within the time limit and am making the required number of rounds in AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible), my technique is improving (a work in progress, obviously and I try to pay special attention to it).

Belgrade weather is insane though - 30-35ºC with 80-95% humidity. It's Hell! I couldn't stop sweating for HOURS after training yesterday. If this continues, I just might consider migrating to a country with a more sensible climate. :D 

Yeah, we've got more than 30ºC for the last couple of days as well. I ran yesterday evening and it was hell. I purposely started after 21 and it was still about 27ºC. My usual pace dropped dramatically by about half a minute. I hate running in such conditions.

This is the week for oddball exercise for me.  After running and cycling at the weekend, last night I went to a golf driving range with a friend.  I may have the golf bug -- I'll see if I can do that every week or two.  It's very relaxing. 

Two hour hand stand workshop yesterday that was amazingly fun.  I'm very close with just a single session.  Can't wait to keep practicing.  But after all the painting I've done the last week and that workshop, boy are my arms exhausted.  I'm also noticing that I've lost a little definition around my mid section over the last month or two, which I contribute to not getting as many workouts in as well as eating and drinking more than I did all winter long.  Clothes still fit the same, just have a little cushion that isn't exactly welcome.

No workout over the weekend because of our trip.  Just some light swimming.  This morning I rushed a quick upper body session of shoulder press, etc.  It was great to get anything.  After wide pull downs I did some pull-ups too.  I was surprised to do 2x10 pretty comfortably.  No swinging or cheating, just arms and lats isolated. 

Now I'm traveling for the next few days.  Probably no further workout until Friday or Saturday. 

Great news, Leap. Congrats and keep it up!

I've lost about 3kg in June and am now in 80-81kg range. The plan is to get to ~77kg by beginning of September which should be achievable with relative ease if only I manage to stick to the plan.

Have I ever mentioned I hate running when it's hot? I'm at the music festival right now (waiting for LCD Soundsystem and Sigur Ros at the moment) so I can only run late mornings and it's tough. My pace is dropping dramatically, by half a minute at least. And I have that feeling I'm not making any progress. My wife made me sign up for a 10k race (she's running half marathon at the same event) in just 8 days and I really don't know how I am going to make it without embarrassing myself. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

Had my first barre class in weeks yesterday and feel absolutely WONDERFUL about it.  Good soreness, but not overly sore, and feeling much better after having a lackluster couple of weeks while I finish remodeling my living room.

Today I get a rest day (or at least part of one since I'm doing more house work), then I've got 3 days of yoga flow planned, and a morning Tuesday barre class that I'm taking from a friend who is teaching is first class.  Feel like I'm getting back at it and honestly can't wait until my schedule allows me to get 6-7 classes a week again.

After a grueling week of business travel with no time for exercise, my parents arrived for a six day visit.  I managed to squeeze in a quick and truncated session of upper body yesterday; bench press, etc.  It went surprisingly well and I maintained my PB. 

Today I swam for an hour with my son.  I did laps while he mixed between laps and play.  A good exercise.  It's two weeks now since I lad did squats and dead lift.  Hopefully tomorrow. 

I just ordered some golf clubs online so I can start visiting the driving range every week or every other week for some relaxation. 

2 weeks from my next race day! Things are going well, except I'm having some pain/aching plaguing my heels. I think it's my Achilles. Since it's not sharp pain, I figure I'm okay to keep training and go ahead with the race, but afterwards I definitely plan to take a good rest until this goes away. I don't want it to become chronic.

Archived