Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

After a couple of rest days, last night was an upper body session of shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  Crushed it; felt great. 

Today is business travel and tomorrow we leave on a short vacation trip to Seattle.  I'll do some swimming and hiking there and hopefully do some sort of weights or resistance exercise in the hotel gym. 

@Leap

Bars are not weightless, you know? Depending on the bar you're using (for example, Olympic bar weighs 20kgs), 35kgs + bar is probably over 50kgs.

Also, in weightlifting math is not the same as elsewhere so 5x8 ≠ 40. ;) 

22 hours ago, Leap said:

Thanks Baxus, but my bar only weights about 2-3kg. You've completely lost me with the 5x8  40. :dunce: 

I hardly ached at all today, unfortunately. I'll add more weight and see what's what on Sunday. 

I'm really struggling to wrap my head around the larger lifts, clearly - hopefully it's just a matter of sticking with it and learning along the way.

How long is the bar? The only 2-3kgs bars I've seen were on dumbbells and are much too short to use for deadlifts and bench press. Not all longer bars weigh 20kgs but I don't think I've ever seen one lighter than around 10kgs.

5 sets of 8 reps is not the same as 40 reps. That's why you have rest between sets. ;) 

As for the larger lifts, I'm currently in the process of learning them properly so I can't give you any advice other than to focus on the form at first.

The weather is much cooler today, which is very nice. Still very humid, though. Went for a bike ride today. Not long (about 7 miles) but it nearly killed me. I didn't realize how much I use my upper body on hills, and it sort of hurt. I was fine mowing the lawn yesterday. Go figure. I am 10 days post-op and all restrictions are off at 14 days.  I can't wait to get in the pool again. However, I don't have cancer, so they can remove all the lumps they want as long as they are benign. 

Improved my overall distance run per month again in July. I did 153,2 km. Most of it in the better average pace as well, so I'm quite satisfied with this month's running. I'm afraid I won't be able to match it in August, or any other month this year for that matter, too many job responsibilities. But if I'm able to maintain the 120-130 km distance per month for the rest of the year, I should be able to exceed 1400 km in 2016 overall. That would be more than double of what I ran last year.

Went for a bike ride yesterday with some friends. We rode to the town nearby and totalled over 60km.

The bad part is that I didn't apply sunscreen to my thighs because I thought that my shorts will cover them so now I have a pretty bad sunburn in that area.

Still, it was much fun and I'm looking forward to a repeat next weekend when I'll correct some of my mistakes for this ride.

@Leap

If your bar is approximately 1.5m long then my guess would be it weighs either 8 or 10kgs. Check that out and include that weight in your training plans and reports. You are lifting the bar too, why not count it? ;) 

3 hours ago, Leap said:

Amazing run tonight, hit a sub-20min 4k - not sure of exact time as I ran quite far ahead of my Dad, who wears the GPS watch. Good stepping stone on the way to a 25min 5k. Doubly pleased because I've not run for 2 weeks. 

@baxus I did actually try to weigh my bar before, which is where the 2kg figure came from - I did the stupid thing and tried to weigh it independently on a set of scales, so that's just the figure it showed before it went to ''error''. I'll check again tomorrow by weighing myself with and without the bar. I'd be surprised, but very much gratified if it was 8-10kg. 

If you are thinking about doing olympic-style lifts at your house, invest in a barbell. You can get a decent one new for $175 or so, and can probably find used for cheaper.  Plus, it's a big hunk of steel, so it's not like it's going to go out of date and become worthless; you should be able to resell it for close to what you paid for it if you decide you don't want to lift at home anymore.

Look for one in the 15-20 kg range.

Yesterday's workout felt exhausting.

Every minute, on the minute we did 5 sumo deadlifts plus 10 push-ups. After that it was as many reps as possible of 12 burpees, 12 sumo deadlift high pulls and 12 wall balls. It felt great after finishing but it was Hell while doing it.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:11 AM, baxus said:

Yesterday's workout felt exhausting.

Every minute, on the minute we did 5 sumo deadlifts plus 10 push-ups. After that it was as many reps as possible of 12 burpees, 12 sumo deadlift high pulls and 12 wall balls. It felt great after finishing but it was Hell while doing it.

NIce!  We had 20 wall balls, 30 double unders and 10 burpees AMRAP for 12 min.  Prescription was 20lb wall ball and 30 DU, I tried it at 30lb wb and 50 DU.  Was miserable, but a great workout.  Got through 4+10 rounds.  30lb wall balls are no joke.

Monday evening after work was an upper body session: bench press, etc.  I lost a rep on each of my sets of heaviest bench press but otherwise did very well.  No surprise that a Monday evening after work, following a week out of the gym and some bad sleep while traveling was not as productive as my usual Saturday afternoon slot for bench press.  I definitely worked all the muscles to failure and was ridiculously pumped up afterward.

Late Tuesday night I fit in an impromptu legs session: just lunge squats at home rather than going to the gym.  I did sets of 10, 15, 15, 20 & 25, which brought me from warm to burning quads in a fairly short space of time.

2 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

NIce!  We had 20 wall balls, 30 double unders and 10 burpees AMRAP for 12 min.  Prescription was 20lb wall ball and 30 DU, I tried it at 30lb wb and 50 DU.  Was miserable, but a great workout.  Got through 4+10 rounds.  30lb wall balls are no joke.

I'm using an 8kg (should be 18lbs) wall ball and I still haven't managed to do double unders properly so I'm sticking with single unders for now.

Last night was an upper body session of shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  It went great.  I increased pull-ups to 4x10 (last time I increased from 2x8 to 3x10).  I probably need to do weighted pull-ups for more challenge but don't want to get the additional equipment.

Now after three consecutive evenings of exercise, I plan to take a break.  I may go and hit some golf balls tonight for a change of pace.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, baxus said:

I'm using an 8kg (should be 18lbs) wall ball and I still haven't managed to do double unders properly so I'm sticking with single unders for now.

DU are a pain.  literally...when I was trying to get them I looked like I had just walked out of Helga's House of Pain.  One of the things that helped was doing them without shoes - not just because I didn't want to hit my feet but I also felt I got more consistent jumps.  They really finally clicked in a workout when I didn't have time to think about them but just had to go.  They still come and go to some extent but instead of failing on 2s I'm atleast getting to teens before I trip.

Just jump a little higher on your singles and you're basically replicating the workload of doubles, without needing to perfect the timing (which is the hard part of DU's, and I don't see where the benefit is coming from).

Archived