Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

I've been trying to run every other day for the last three weeks or so. A little shorter runs than before (6-8 km max, comparing to 8-10 km), but I think it is more effective than running 2 times a week on average. I feel quite ok, I constantly feel the knee, but it's not getting any worse at least.

Went to a 4 hour oly lifting session yesterday - 2 hours on the snatch, 2 hours on clean and jerk.  I'm absolutely fried, but it was fantastic.  I'd been making progress but having the focused coaching, repeated drills, etc made a huge difference in how they felt.

Had a really good weekend.  Did an hour and a half of one of the toughest classes I've been to on Friday.  Saturday morning I took my mom to a class and haven't seen her as content and genuinely happy in ~5 years.  We have plans to take another class this weekend and I bought her a 10 class pass so she can explore her options a bit.  Gave her my spare yoga mat and a mat towel as well.  That afternoon I did a 2 hour arm balancing workshop where I learned to do Hurder's PoseFigure 8One Legged Crow, and Side Crow.  We did a couple other's, but I couldn't pull those ones off.  Took another class yesterday and was able to practice these some more, which was fun, but really hard, followed by a restorative Hatha class.  Today is a much needed rest day and then back to barre tomorrow.

Early morning workout today: bench press, narrow pull down and arms.  A bit rushed so I could get to work on time but no lost ground on weights after a week off and some back-to-the-grind fatigue.  I'm doing a lot fewer late night workouts in the past few months.

Squats today. 200lbs on barbell (Smith machine) felt great with impeccable form and deep squats. 250lbs felt heavy and not squatting as deep. I didn't chase the big weight, I was content with good form (I was squatting 300lbs last year, but not as deep as I would like).

Then I tried the single leg squats recommended here (with back foot resting on a bench). Those are good. I did only 2x25lbs dumbbells with them because balance was a little shaky this first time and I was fatigued from the heavy squats. I'll do them again.

A good return to workouts after a miserable few days of business travel, including being stranded without luggage due to storms.

Killed it over the weekend, but boy am I paying for it today.  My core, triceps, upper back, and quads are all sore.  That really good muscle fatigue, though.  Took 7 classes over the weekend and it felt incredible.  Took another class w/ my mom, and then did a double on Saturday afternoon.  One was a barre workshop, so most of it was just discussion and learning about how and why the class is structured the way it is.  I feel a lot more knowledgable about it after that.  Yesterday I did two intense flow classes and a really nice stretching hot hatha class.  Slept like a baby last night and really earned my rest day today.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:04 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Squats today. 200lbs on barbell (Smith machine) felt great with impeccable form and deep squats.

There is literally no way to have proper form on a Smith machine.

Archived