Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Squatted 260kg x 3 Sunday and I am still feeling it. Urgh, Comp season approaches,

Bloody hell.:lol:

Anyway, one plus side of having games filmed so you can rehash all you mistakes at training is you can put together a highlights video set to shit music. Here's one for our rugby season (or the first team's anyway). Unfortunately I don't feature a great deal as I didn't play much in the 1s and scoring flash tries from long range isn't really a strength of my game. For some reason nobody ever seems to want to put a well run lineout drill in these highlights videos.:dunno:

I did end up doing some hill sprints at the weekend. I remember now how unpleasant hill sprints are.

I went down to the hotel gym before dinner and it was empty; empty of people, empty of equipment, nothing.  It turns out it's being renovated and my timing is great as ever.  So I jogged a few blocks to an LA Fitness, bought a day pass and got a so-so workout there.  I arrived at 4:30 and it was jammed.  There were a couple of dozen guys using the free weights, plus more on the weights machines.  I managed to do dumbbell shoulder press, wide lat pull down, lat raises and biceps, plus some push-ups back in my hotel room.  

It felt really sub-optimal.  I had to start shoulder press at 2x50lbs because there was nothing available between 15-50 for a warm up.  I couldn't alternate between sets because the equipment was far apart and someone would take my spot on the equipment as soon as I moved, I finally got 2x20lbs for lat raises but no 2x25 or 2x30, and all the curl bars and preacher benches were in use.  And I had to do the whole thing in 30 minutes.

The gym in my home building may have limited equipment, but at least it's not crowded like that.  But I am glad that I got a workout.  Business travel is really inconvenient for weights workouts and at least I did something. 

I've had far too much restaurant food in the past two weeks and need to clean up my diet again. 

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:08 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Luke lifts in kgs approx what I lift in lbs.  Damn metric system!

yep, watched some of the Olympic trials for lifting, 200kg clean and jerks.  Yesterday I hit my PR with a 255lb clean...

I am still out of commission with my neck/back/whatever it is injury.  At this point anything I have gained over the past few months is done for, with still no idea what's wrong with me nor any idea for recovery process or time.  So frustrating.

I'm finally finished my long travel.  It should be no more than a day or two per week for the next while. 

This afternoon was lower body: squats, dead lifts and calf press. 

For squats, I had two great sets at my heaviest weight of 250lbs and then dropped back to 220lbs for two additional sets.  It felt so light I thought I was going to embed the weights into the ceiling.  And heaviest dead lifts was at 300lbs, which feels heavier for the arms than back. 

Feeling good, and glad I haven't lost ground after all that travel.  My weight is still at 178lbs, which is pretty lean & well defined, but still fundamentally an ectomorph with some added muscle but not a swollen power lifter. 

Damn. I fell from my bike yesterday (some halfwit drove his car on the bike trail just in front of me leaving me no options) and injured my hip (the knee took some of the impact as well). It's just an abrusion, nothing serious I hope (in case of the hip), but I wasn't able to run today, and I doubt I'll manage it tomorrow. And it was such a promising month so far, distanse wise.

edit: spelling

Thanks. As a matter of fact I did try to take a slow run today and it turned out quite ok, suprisingly. I felt a little pain in my hip only for the first few hundred meters. All in all I managed to make more than 9 km in about 52 minutes, so it was really fine.

Glad you weren't more seriously hurt! I won't even buy a bike these days, as it's way too dangerous to bike in my city. Every single person I know who rides regularly here has been in at least one bad accident with a car or truck, and more than one has had to spend considering time in the hospital. 

Yeah, Chicago has tried to become more bike friendly but it's too dangerous for me to contemplate cycling through city streets on a regular basis.  I could cycle to work via the lakeshore trail but the hassle of no shower available and changing clothes means it's not worth it for the one mile distance. 

Good luck on a quick recovery, Apache. 

Yesterday was bench press, narrow pull down, barbell row, arms, obliques and clean & press.  All went well.  I added a single rep of 200lb bench press before returning to 180lbs.  I'll try to build on that. 

My legs are still very stiff from Friday so I'll have to see if squats are feasible today or if I need some more rest first. 

My yoga teacher today had us do this exercise where we had to stand on one leg and then try to balance while we moved our whole bodies and limbs all over the place. It was a very good reminder of how terrible I am at balancing on my left leg. Sweet Jesus, I almost face-planted. (and this was about 2/3 through practice, so our legs were already pretty fatigued). I just laughed at myself because I am ridiculous.

Xray - I've had to do that for weeks at a time to rehab ankle ligaments after soccer injuries.  It gets easier quickly.  Do it with your eyes closed for extra challenge (requires more control and response from the small muscles) and then try hopping on one foot in each weird pose. 

When I get two black eyes from crashing face-first into the floor, Imma publicly blame you! ;)

(I've been having a seriously great time at yoga, tho. Going to start lifting weights again as well. It's been a very challenging 2016 and I need to recommit to fitness...)

So after a large bowl of crockpot brownie and ice cream for fuel and a good 30 minutes of stretching my stiff legs, I dragged myself down to the gym for a lower body session and it went really well.  

Squats felt really good at 250lbs and I'll look to up that soon when the signs and portents support it, and dead lifts at 300lbs again, plus some calf press to finish and that was all I could handle today. 

Archived