Exercise and Fitness - high intensity interval posting

Iskaral Pust

@Starkess

Great job on finishing that close to your PB and four years of constant improvement is quite an accomplishment!

I'm having problems with my right bicep at the moment. Yesterday, everything went perfectly fine in crossfit, I saw some of my friends afterwards, got home and went to sleep without any problems. At some point during the night I started feeling pain in my right bicep and it's still there this morning.

It hurts a bit when I move my arm and my muscle seems a bit tight. A couple of years ago, both my calves cramped up during swimming practice and they were tight for a couple of days afterwards. This feels similar but I have no idea why would my bicep cramp during the night.

Normally, my first thought would be that I pushed too hard in training but the only part of the workout that would strain biceps were ring rows and I didn't have any problems with those.

Hopefully, the pain will go away soon and things will get back to normal.

Starkess, it's a great time nevertheless, congratulations! My wife managed to get below 1:55 in half marathon after five years of training. Now she has so much force it scares me. :D

I'm gradually returning to running intervals and so far so good. I will try to do'em every third training (still sticking to my running every second day regimen). Perhaps I will also add running up the hill from time to time. As it is, my wife runs up the hill in a better pace than I do intervals. 

Good run Nora.  That's pretty impressive to sustain improvement that long.  You can get 1:55 next time. 

Baxus - have you been flexing your guns whenever a young lady is present?  That could add some extra strain on the bicep. 

9 minutes ago, Immobile Buffon said:

Baxus - have you been flexing your guns whenever a young lady is present?  That could add some extra strain on the bicep. 

Maybe I should start doing that so my biceps get more used to strain. ;) 

This afternoon was an upper body session of bench press, etc.  I couldn't get to my usual max weight on bench press and pull down.  I'm blaming that on the terrible sleep I've had all week.  But I still did lots of sets and pushed my muscles to exhaustion.  I excluded the clean & press because my deltoids got very sore.  It was still a good exercise: how hard I work is more important than how much I lift. 

Thanks, everyone. Someone over on reddit said you're not a real runner until you can't PR every race, so I suppose I'll take it as a badge of pride! I also feel way better than I normally do after a training course for a half (after my last half marathon I couldn't run for a few weeks due to knee/hip pain), so I am definitely raring to go for my next attempt! Took this week pretty easy (more yoga, less running, no long run), and I'm eager to dive back into heavier training.

Jeez, I just can't wrap my head around my wife's current form. On Saturday she run two different races one after another, 5KM and 10KM (with just an hour break between them) and in both cases she broke her PB! She's managed 22:17 for 5KM and then 47:04 for 10KM. I don't think I ever manage such results, I'm not getting any younger after all.

Having said that, I enjoyed my tonight's training, 9 km just between the end of Poland vs. Northern Ireland and the beginning of Germany vs. Ukraine games.

Today was a lower body session.  Still not sleeping well (I don't know why) but I was able to get close to my recent max.  Squats at 250lbs felt good for three sets, but I didn't push for 270lbs.  Dead lifts at 250lbs (rather than 300lbs) was all my grip could manage.  But it was a good workout.  Hopefully I'll get my sleep back to normal and return to full strength. 

I'm to airport now for travel through Tuesday evening. 

On 6/12/2016 at 4:14 AM, Starkess said:

Thanks, everyone. Someone over on reddit said you're not a real runner until you can't PR every race, so I suppose I'll take it as a badge of pride! I also feel way better than I normally do after a training course for a half (after my last half marathon I couldn't run for a few weeks due to knee/hip pain), so I am definitely raring to go for my next attempt! Took this week pretty easy (more yoga, less running, no long run), and I'm eager to dive back into heavier training.

Every once in a while, I hear people going on about how "you're not a real runner until..." and it's all bullshit. The worst part is that the condition people say is a requirement for "being a real runner" is always one they've just barely met.

You run? You're a runner. Period. There are no "real" and "imaginary" runners. Saying that someone is not a "real runner" because they run slower than pace X is a dick move that says A LOT about the person saying it.

12 hours ago, 3StadtMueller said:

Jeez, I just can't wrap my head around my wife's current form. On Saturday she run two different races one after another, 5KM and 10KM (with just an hour break between them) and in both cases she broke her PB! She's managed 22:17 for 5KM and then 47:04 for 10KM. I don't think I ever manage such results, I'm not getting any younger after all.

Having said that, I enjoyed my tonight's training, 9 km just between the end of Poland vs. Northern Ireland and the beginning of Germany vs. Ukraine games.

I assure you that you could achieve such results, and even beat them.

It's all a matter of health, willpower and patience. If you have no injuries, and are willing and patient enough to do all the tedious training sessions (and there will be quite a few of them, I guarantee it), those results will not be a problem.

Took a barre class Thursday and I'm still sore today.  Took some pretty tough flow classes on Saturday and Sunday and was able to do an entire crow flight for the first time.  It's something I made up where you start out in crow, then move to one legged crow ,then move back to crow, then do the other leg one legged crow, then back to crow, then finally float back from crow; the idea is to do it all in one shot and keep your arm balance the entire time.  It's stuff like this that really keeps it new and fresh every day.

Went to crossfit again yesterday and I do see progress. It's slow, but it's there.

I can't wait to shed these 4-5kgs extra so I don't sweat as much as I do now and don't have that extra mass to carry on every jump, burpee and so on.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm surprised people still do Crossfit. Its got such a bad reputation within the fitness communitiy. There are much more effective, less disabling ways to get into good shape. The primary one being simply being careful over what you eat.

I'm not sure being careful what you eat would get you fitter.

Healthier yes, fitter no.

Haven't heard of crossfit's bad reputation other than the stories about cultfitters.

And I haven't run into anything that would suggest it's disabling. Coaches in my gym constantly pay attention to our technique to correct any mistakes and aren't pushing anyone to lift more than they're comfortable with. Overall, it's been a fun experience so far. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a long while.

As for being disabling, I know quite a few runners who messed up their knees because of being overweight, rowers who ended up with discus hernias, and don't even get me started on all the injuries in football and basketball.

The point I'm trying to make is that risk of injury is present in every strenuous physical activity, as harmless as it may appear. All we can do is pay a bit more attention and reduce the risk.

I just did an upper body session of shoulder press, etc.  I wasn't expecting much after another terrible night of sleep (this time food poisoning, but it has been one thing or another for two weeks), but surprisingly did really, really well.  Exhausted now and sitting on the roof deck to absorb some vitamin D.  I don't get sunburned this late in the evening. 

On 6/13/2016 at 1:35 AM, baxusz said:

Every once in a while, I hear people going on about how "you're not a real runner until..." and it's all bullshit. The worst part is that the condition people say is a requirement for "being a real runner" is always one they've just barely met.

You run? You're a runner. Period. There are no "real" and "imaginary" runners. Saying that someone is not a "real runner" because they run slower than pace X is a dick move that says A LOT about the person saying it.

Normally I would agree, but in this case it was meant in a light-hearted way to try to cheer me up so I didn't take it in that way. :)

4 hours ago, Starkess said:

Normally I would agree, but in this case it was meant in a light-hearted way to try to cheer me up so I didn't take it in that way. :)

Context is important, as with everything.

It's just that I've heard people saying things like that in a different way that I get annoyed every time I hear them, regardless of the way they were meant.

Yesterday we did an "as many rounds as possible" session with rounds of 10 pushups, 15 hollow rocks, 20 kettlebell swings and 200m run and 21 minute time cap. The minimum of rounds completed was 6 and I made it, just barely. Managed to get started on round 7 and finish push-ups but had no time nor the will to get on hollow rocks. It's the first time I managed do meet the requirement. :D 

Running up the hill is a bitch. This particular one is about 150 meters long and not especially steep, but the goal was to go up as fast as I can and then down very slowly, repeating the sequence 20 times. All in all, it was much more demanding than regular intervals, but also more satisfying. I'll keep doing this from time to time.

9 hours ago, baxusz said:

Context is important, as with everything.

It's just that I've heard people saying things like that in a different way that I get annoyed every time I hear them, regardless of the way they were meant.

Yesterday we did an "as many rounds as possible" session with rounds of 10 pushups, 15 hollow rocks, 20 kettlebell swings and 200m run and 21 minute time cap. The minimum of rounds completed was 6 and I made it, just barely. Managed to get started on round 7 and finish push-ups but had no time nor the will to get on hollow rocks. It's the first time I managed do meet the requirement. :D 

that's awesome!  congrats! <fist bump>

Got my first ring muscle ups yesterday.  Hadn't tried them since Mar '15 but one of the coaches was watching me do a scaled version and told me I was doing the MU without knowing it, so right after the workout he marched me to the rings and said go. So I went.  Was able to do one with a kip and one mostly strict.

Now unfortunately I just made every subsequent workout that has muscle ups harder.  :)

Archived