Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fez

Bladerunner 2

92 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

As for me, I'm just going to keep it simple and delegate.  I won't get excited about this until Theda is officially excited.

Hahhaha. I'll keep you posted :P

director Denis Villeneuve (Arrival) shared both the title and release date of the forthcoming Blade Runner sequel: It’s called Blade Runner 2049 and will be released in theaters on October 6, 2017.

While the setting is again dystopian Los Angeles, the movie will take place 30 years after the original, which was set in 2019.

I prefer that they're doing a sequel, rather than a re-boot/re-make... My guess is that in retrospect, they feel they missed the boat regarding a potential franchise... So maybe if this doesn't bomb, Ryan Gossling can carry the torch.

regarding trailers... I want to see one too.... m problem is that I'm a sucker for them.... I've seen good trailers for too many bad movies

Read the book though, if you haven't. The "world" is more expansive than I think even the first film lets on. There are a lot of approaches they could be taking with this.

Spoiler

Add to that all the ambiguity about Deckard and Rachel's relationship and the possibility of Deckard being a replicant.

Okay, never thought I'd say this, but I'm on board now. Arrival was a really good mind-bending scifi movie, I think Bladerunner is in good hands with Villeneuve.

Movie looks beautifully shot. Deakins :wub: 

Edited by Mark Antony
Added YouTube link

I don't really know what to make of that. I looks pretty but I'm still not convinced of the necessity for a Blade Runner sequel.

So, I will remain sceptical until I have actually seen the whole movie.

22 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I have faith in Villeneuve.

Guy is top notch. 

Yeah, they can just take my money now on this one. I'll definitely be seeing this at the cinema.

Looks incredible, and after Arrival I have complete faith in Villeneuve. They also have Ford back and he makes movies exceptionally well. Gosling is a great actor too. 

Mostly, though, it's Arrival. Arrival was incredible, poignant, gorgeous and understated. It was the most Blade Runner/2001 sci-fi movie I've seen in 40 years, allowing visuals and expression to tell the story in a way that no dialogue or backstory could. It was perfect for Blade Runner. Having Gosling and Ford be pensive and thinking and allowing them that is Blade Runner's milieu, and there's no director alive that can do it better (including Ridley Scott). 

34 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

This wasn't on my radar before but I am definitely hyped now.

That's where I'm at with this.

If Deckard is a replicant (and assuming he's immune to the 4 year life cycle), why does he age?

Ridley Scott says Deckard IS a replicant, but the ambiguity (Much like the end of John Carpenter's THE THING) was a great debate to have and gave the original film added symbolism, metaphor, and staying power.

Now I suppose the sequel will have to declare on Decker's status.  Bummer.

That said, despite the fact that by all accounts Ryan Gosling is a grade A asshole in real life (rude & arrogant), I hope the sequel is amazing and is one of those Empire Strikes Back/Godfather 2/Wrath of Khan sorts of sequels that just deepens and arguably improves on the original. 

Edited by generalzod

Replicants age; they aren't nonhuman or nonorganic. They're just created. In fact, it makes sense that he ages as a way to defeat the 4 year cycle; the easiest way to replicate that would be, well, to actually just copy the human body. it makes him less powerful, but more long-lived.

Hmm. How would you define a replicant then?  What you're describing is more of Deckard as clone than something that is manufactured with designer eyes plugged into a body (and they also manufacture snakes and the like). 

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

Hmm. How would you define a replicant then?  What you're describing is more of Deckard as clone than something that is manufactured with designer eyes plugged into a body (and they also manufacture snakes and the like). 

Replicants are basically bio-engineered human bodies with manufactured personalities and skillsets, since they are created as adults with no childhoods or developmental periods.   They aren't clones, because they are not copies of existing humans, they're new and usually improved versions.