Dark Showers

Fez

So I recently encountered this idea, tried it, loved it, and thought the community that so enthusiastically embraced the shower beer would appreciate it as well.

It's very simple, take a shower in the dark, with the lights off, door closed, etc.. I found it incredibly relaxing. Granted, I did combine it with a shower beer, so I don't know what the pure experience is like. But as was, it was great.

Such a simple concept, but one I never considered before.

This sounds like a perfect recipe for me to slip and be found in an embarrassing state of undress by my flatmates when I don't respond to their knocking. This risk would seem likely to increase when accompanied by shower beers, at least for me.

I should add that I can reach both the light switch and my towel from the shower, (Studio apartments!) So when I was done I turned the lights on before doing anything else.

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This sounds like a perfect recipe for me to slip and be found in an embarrassing state of undress by my flatmates when I don't respond to their knocking. This risk would seem likely to increase when accompanied by shower bears, at least for me.

I find that with roommates, it's kind of inevitable that you'll see each other pretty naked at some point. Of course, the deck where they suntan is off my bedroom, so the whole topless thing knocks a lot of barriers on the head.

As to the idea, I've done it by necessity; extended power outages w/e. That was mostly irritating, but that might just be a reflection of time being an issue, plus the whole involuntary aspect. Am intrigued, will try. 

Power went out once when I had just started showering. I decided to finish it. It was a bit weird at first, but I eventually discovered that I do not need light to shower as I'm perfectly familiar with my bathroom and body. Good thing I didn't drop the soap, tho :D.

Shortly after I moved in to my current apartment, someone stole the old-school style fuse for my bathroom from the fuse box out in the hall while I was in the shower.

A dark shower might be relaxing, a sudden and unexpected dark shower, not so much.

I did this again this morning, without the beer this time, still great. Its what I imagine a sensory deprivation chamber would be like, but with extremely hot water involved (If the temp. isn't just below "would scour the flesh off my body" I don't feel clean afterwards).

33 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I've never done this. My beauty routine is too complex to allow for a lights-out shower. Plus it would be impossible for me to shave my balls in the dark.

Relax. Safety razors were invented for a reason.

15 hours ago, Inigima said:

I do this all the time, but I don't know that I find it especially more relaxing.

Really?  This has never ever occurred to me.  I'm going to try it out this morning.  If it IS relaxing, it might be the only benefit of having a washroom with no windows that I can think of.  Thanks board for turning that sow's ear into a silk purse!

3 hours ago, Leap said:

Looks like I won't be able to manage the dark shower beer this weekend unfortunately, but I did enjoy an overcast bath this afternoon that was decidedly mediocre.

To not have dark beer showered is to have never lived at all!

2 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Really?  This has never ever occurred to me.  I'm going to try it out this morning.  If it IS relaxing, it might be the only benefit of having a washroom with no windows that I can think of.  Thanks board for turning that sow's ear into a silk purse!

Really?  I think I'd like to have the window...if only for some relaxing sunlight to come into the darkened bathroom...that seems more relaxing to me...

Archived