Tobho Mott and sacrifice

Cagey Bee

Just now, Lord Ravenstark said:

Or teach him, would Qohor allow a it?

About sacrifice, maybe he sacrificed some people to reforge Valyrian steel.

I don't know for sure if sacrifice is a requirement to reforge... but.. having apprentices during a nasty siege and war would be the perfect cover. Teaching Gendry would've been cool, too.. I always kind of wished that Gendry would come up with a way to forge Valyrian Steel.

45 minutes ago, Cagey Bee said:

Short post, so I was thinking..

Do you think Tobho Mott kept Gendry around so that he could sacrifice him one day? King's blood Valyrian Steel..

He kept him around because he was strong and because Varys made sure he was taken up as an apprentice.

Given that he displayed qohori tapestries it could be argued that Robert may have known of the sanguinary requirements inherent in working valyrian steel and his sanction after the fact of the murder Elia's children and later attempts on Dany's life it could even be argued that he was depending on it- although I can't presently think of a good reason why he would do this.

On the other hand, I don't think king's blood is specifically required but still... that does seem like a dumb move unless something else is going on.

3 hours ago, hiemal said:

On the other hand, I don't think king's blood is specifically required but still...

I agree. There is nothing mentioned in the legend of Azor Ahai about him being a king; he was simply the one chosen (by someone, presumably R'hollor) to fight the darkness and forge Lightbringer. Damn - I always get Bonnie Tyler's Holding out for a Hero stuck in my head when AA comes up. 

I think confusion sets in and starts mixing things up between Mel's insistence on both the power of king's blood and the legend of AA. IMO part of that confusion stems from the fact that evidently, if a group of people crowned and set up a horse as their rightful king, Mel would believe the horse's blood to be royal. 

4 hours ago, HornblowerHar said:

I was thinking that this is why Tyrek Lannister is still missing.  But would they need two sacrifices for 2 blades?

Well, even if they needed sacrifices for reforging blades, there is no way to know if they needed one or two sacrifices as one sword was reforged in to two blades.  Is the number of sacrifices dependent on the number of pre-reforged blades or post-reforged blades?  Both make sense without knowing the rules.

I think the whole "King's blood" business comes from Mel, not from R'hollorism itself. She seems to be mixing up her mythology with whatever fits her mindset (for example the shadow babies are almost certainly not R'hollorism but Asshai'i shadow binding), so she might have added the kings blood stuff too, as I don't think the importance of king's blood shows up everywhere else. I remember lots of bloodmagic, but, well, nothing where it's important who the blood comes from (I could be wrong on this, though).

As to Tobho specifically... I always figured that Varys told him to take Gendry in as to make sure that if Varys ever needed one of Roberts bastards, he'd know where to find him, and Tobho came to like him. Nothing else.

We don't know if Tobho knows the secret way of making Valyrian Steel. The qohoriks keep it closely guarded.

Also, wouldn't he sacrifices babies and little children instead of grown men? I think thats what TWOIAF says

6 hours ago, Queen Alienor said:

As to Tobho specifically... I always figured that Varys told him to take Gendry in as to make sure that if Varys ever needed one of Roberts bastards, he'd know where to find him, and Tobho came to like him. Nothing else.

I would go further, and say that Varys quite possibly made it very much worthwhile for Tobho Motto - going as far as actually paying him to take Gendry on, and for his silence. As you say, it benefits Varys to have one of the bastards close by. Particularly, I think, one that looks so much like a younger version of Robert. 

Archived