What do you think the Others do in their spare time? What else did they do these past 8000 years?

Falcon2908

Replenishing their numbers slowly sacrifice by sacrifice while watching Westeros through the Weirwoods and waiting to bring another Long Night down on their ass now that the Glass candles are burning, Magic is returning and people are messing with balance.

But in their spare time i imagine they just sort of gracefully stroll about the far north being cool AF.

22 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

I wonder if they breed.

Well, if old stories are to be believed, the NK laid with a female Other...so they must reproduce in a similar way.

Not sure what you do for 8,000+ years...but since they have their own weapons, animals, armor etc, one would assume they have some sort of city and social structure.

6 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

Well, if old stories are to be believed, the NK laid with a female Other...so they must reproduce in a similar way.

Not sure what you do for 8,000+ years...but since they have their own weapons, animals, armor etc, one would assume they have some sort of city and social structure.

I read once a cool point from someone on a thread that the female other was a Red herring. That to ally with them you have to sleep with an other female and give up your soul basically was a ruse to throw people off wanting to ally with them for power, when really it's a bit simpler- you offer them blood sacrifices. 

Sons of The blood of The Kings of winter of old(Starks blood, is my personal belief is what generates a new Other). But if you have no sons, Goats etc seem to keep you safe from harm. Like Craster. 

Good question. Eight thousand years is a heck of a long time. I mean, eight thousand years ago in our world the mud hut was the pinnacle of technology. If the Others spent the mean time doing anything productive at all, they would surely have advanced beyond the "to win battles, whack enemies with swords, or send unarmed zombies" stage. But no, they appear to be back using the exact same tactics that made them lose badly the last time.

Speaking of "the last time", wonder if they even remember that? Preserving history for eight thousand years with any degree of accuracy is nigh-impossible, just look at the rumours circulating the Red Wedding after a few months. Even without the infighting troubling the humans (and I somehow doubt Martin would write in a race of "social animals" without infighting), the Others must surely have a hard time preserving that information too.

Then again, I suppose the real answer is "nothing of importance", that they'll come back after eight thousand years and picking up the thread where they left it, as if it was really eight thousand seconds. Antagonists in fantasy series tend not to be bothered by long spans of time.

2 hours ago, Falcon2908 said:

They're pretty intelligent creatures. Do they play music? Do they produce any art, literature? Do they have cities? Do they go into war with other Others?

They read the Westeros Post, and watch the tv show Winter is Coming while eating ice cream and drinking pina colada's.:devil:

1 hour ago, moonshield said:

In the show they are shown to create some beautiful art, cant remember if that happens in the book though..

468px-Horse_Spiral_S3E3.png

Sort of remind me of a crop cirlcle.

Which is weird because I came to this thread to speculate that these Others are perhaps beings from another, colder planet and have crash landed onto Planetos which would account for the odd seasons being that an impact big enough could tilt a planet enough to fuck it right up. Something along those lines anyways - I think somebody made a much more detailed thread about theories as such involving the "1000 dragons hatching from the moon" etc. and attribute them to astronomical phenomena.

5 hours ago, James Steller said:

Well according to the prologue, they know how to dance. And they've had a lot of time to practice.

For some reason I just pictured Waymar Royce waltzing with an Other, and it dawned on me that the Night's King would most likely have done the same thing on his wedding day.

Archived