The Missing (BBC/Starz)

AncalagonTheBlack

Previous topic archived.

Loved the first season and am really happy they are doing another series with new characters and plot.Season 2 cast and plot announced:

The Walking Dead‘s Governor, David Morrissey, is set to star in Season 2 of Starz/BBC drama The Missing, along with Keeley Hawes and Tchéky Karyo. Production is under way on the sophomore episodes, all eight of which will be helmed by Ben Chanan.The lead trio are joined by Roger Allam; Laura Fraser; Anastasia Hille; Lia Williams; Abigail Hardingham; Jake Davies; Florian Bartholomäi and Daniel Ezra.

The series, which earned multiple BAFTA nominations including Best Drama last year, returns with a new case, new characters and a new location. Season 2 will follow Sam and Gemma (David Morrissey and Hawes), whose daughter Alice went missing in 2003. In 2014, a young British woman stumbles through the streets of her German hometown and collapses. Her name is Alice Webster (Abigail Hardingham), and she has been missing for 11 years. Alice’s return sends shock waves through the small community. Told in dual timelines, flitting between 2014 and the present, the series will follow Alice’s family as they are thrown back into a turmoil that threatens to tear them apart at the seams. When French missing person’s detective (Karyo) races across Europe to pursue a 12-year-old case that he never let die, The Missing begins to explore the murky morality and emotional complexity of what happens when the missing child you’ve been longing to return actually comes back.

Ca8TsEmWcAEwrgm.jpg

http://deadline.com/2016/02/david-morrissey-stars-the-missing-season-2-starz-bbc-1201704840/

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

Interesting to see Baptiste is still in season 2. I wonder how they will tie him in with the new missing case.

He was probably the best thing in season 1 (amidst an amazing cast) so I'm not too fussed how they weave him back into the show. It's probably a wise move as they probably need someone to maintain a link between the shows and the detective is the best candidate. They could have maybe brought the reporter back too but he wasn't as charming a character.

The new cast are all good choices and I'm sure the British media will have a field day drawing comparisons with Madeline McGann.

Also pleased to see "line of Duty" will be back this year on the BBC.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

He was probably the best thing in season 1 (amidst an amazing cast) so I'm not too fussed how they weave him back into the show. It's probably a wise move as they probably need someone to maintain a link between the shows and the detective is the best candidate. They could have maybe brought the reporter back too but he wasn't as charming a character.

The new cast are all good choices and I'm sure the British media will have a field day drawing comparisons with Madeline McGann.

Also pleased to see "line of Duty" will be back this year on the BBC.

I completely agree. Considering it was an anthology series, I was surprised to discover one of the first season's characters would be in the second season. IMO Baptiste was the only likeable character last season. I also found him to be the most interesting. I'm wondering if he now volunteers his time on missing persons cases in his retirement.

30 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

While Ken Stott probably did express disappointment with the immediate renewal, that article is almost a year old. Also, what television show isn't a money grab? 

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

I completely agree. Considering it was an anthology series, I was surprised to discover one of the first season's characters would be in the second season. IMO Baptiste was the only likeable character last season. I also found him to be the most interesting. I'm wondering if he now volunteers his time on missing persons cases in his retirement.

The actor was really good at making you love him. He didn't have to get involved or take the crap he got from various people but he did it because it was right. I'm guessing it will be some of the guilt that brings him back as a worker of missing people cases.

In terms of the recent anthology craze I can only think of Fargo that has got away with a change of cast (and in that case it still had overlapping characters). American Horror Story keeps the actors so that's some form of continuity and True Detective changed everything and everyone appeared disappointed. Keeping Baptiste in the role is a safe play and probably sensible.

I can see Ken Stott's argument but it is naive to think that's how any broadcaster works. The BBC has had its public funding cut (and continues to be cut) so the only way it can make up for the deficit is by being a commercial station. It may well be that this show isn't as successful as the other one but it's not like the BBC hasn't been hiding similar police shows under an umbrella name that is recognised.

I'd be interested to know if he had any thoughts on the artistic integrity of the Hobbit being made into 3 overly long films.

• 6 months later...

First teaser trailer of season 2 is out :)

Keeley Hawes and David Morrissey star in Series 2. Tchéky Karyo returns as French detective Julien Baptise.

The cast also includes Roger Allam (Endeavour), Laura Fraser (Breaking Bad), Abigail Hardingham (Silent Witness), Anastasia Hille (Prey), Lia Williams (The Crown), Jake Davies (Yen), Florian Bartholomäi (Deutschland 83) and Daniel Ezra (Murdered By My Boyfriend).

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

First trailer of season 2 is out :)

Keeley Hawes and David Morrissey star in Series 2. Tchéky Karyo returns as French detective Julien Baptise.

I think I'd watch the show simply because of that cast. The fact it's a follow up to a show I really enjoyed is a bonus. Fingers crossed this isn't like season 2 of True Detective.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC debuts always seem to surprise me but that might be due to me largely watching via iplayer meaning I miss all the adverts between shows. I might save a few episodes up and binge on it.

I hope it's better than season 3 of "the fall". I'm still recovering from how dull the first episode of that was - not even Gillian Anderson could save it.

On 10/6/2016 at 1:21 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Missing: Series 2 Launch Trailer - BBC One

My immediate reaction is that the missing daughter returns as some sort of (sleeper cell) terrorist plant.

Whatever the plot is, I will certainly watch when it's available in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished watching s2 ep5 and wow,what an ending! Did not see that coming!

Spoiler

So the little girl is Alice Webster's daughter,right? And now we finally know who the culprit is.The friggin press officer! :o

So they decided to reveal the bad guy earlier this season.IIRC,in the first season the reveal came during the the last episode (8).So i'm guessing the remaining 3 episodes will be used to wrap up the remaining plot threads.

Also,who the hell is the girl in Switzerland ??! She can't be Alice right? She also burnt the glasses,the same glasses worn by the third girl in the photo on the roller coaster.

Being wary of spoilers as I've only just started now there are a few episodes in the bag. An interesting start - I like how they've kept the format without it feeling like too much of a retread. It definitely draws the viewer in wondering how all the change have occurred in the space of 2 years.

Episode 1 spoilers

Oddly as soon as I saw the tattoo - I thought she was an imposter, although I've been thinking someone should have made a drama/film along those lines since watching the "imposter" documentary (well worth a watch).

Great cast. Keeley Hawes seems to get better with every show i see her in - as she seems to bring something different to each role rather than bring "Keeley Hawes" to the character.

Only criticism which should be obvious given season one is that this show is BLEAK.

Lost babies, everyone's lives are ruined and Batiste has a terminal brain tumour. Come, on Batiste needs a happily ever after - he's the nicest man in europe

:(

22 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

8 episodes in total.Can't wait to watch tonight's episode!

Cool, I'm all caught up now and will watch the next one later :)

I've been really impressed with all the twists and turns so far

they totally misdirected me regarding the missing baby. It was nice for something not to be as depressing as it initially seemed with her being a surrogate for her sister.

I also didn't have the press officer "getterick" pegged as one of the three - although i knew he was one once the polizeimann turned up. Poor guy - he seemed like a genuinely nice person amd somehow got mixed up in a deadly conspiracy.

So it seems like there were at least 3 british soldiers who've been behind it all. Four if you include the butcher's wife (who was clearly the guilty party in that relationship)

I have no idea where the show is ultimately going to go but it's nice to enjoy the ride

Archived